Insomnia, best ways to fall asleep

ReflectedLight

msn_sheep.png

Seriously, try taking even moderate breaths in and out and focus on the breathing. Think of nothing but the breathing, not even Geddy. Puts me right out.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 20 2008, 10:07 PM)
msn_sheep.png

Seriously, try taking even moderate breaths in and out and focus on the breathing. Think of nothing but the breathing, not even Geddy. Puts me right out.

Must be some sort of meditation type exercise. I'll try it, thanks.

No caffeine after mid-day.

Was going to suggest Temazepam, but you've said you already have sleeping pills. . .

I take these on occasion - like once every 2 or 3 months - when I'm too amped to fall asleep. I like this particular one because you don't have the foggy, fuzzy-headed hangover the next day.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 20 2008, 08:27 PM)
trink38.gif ....only if you like to drink.

Here, here...

works every time...

Or you could just stay up for 3 days in a row. I guarantee that you will then fall asleep...

The focus on breathing is a good one.

If any other thoughts try to intrude, just re-focus on the breathing... you can even say to yourself "inhale... exhale..." if the brain chatter gets too 'loud'.

Another thing that might help is a tense/relax exersize. A piece at a time, starting with your face... tense up all the mussels (scrunch up your face...) and then relax them. then your neck and shoulders... your arms and hands... your stomach... pelvis... legs to your feet. Tensing then relaxing until your entire body has done.

Your body will feel a lot more relaxed and it may be easier to sleep that way.

Do the breathing thing after, and you should be able to drop off to dreaming fairly quickly.

Hope it helps!

Sweet dreams...

Also...

What are you doing before you try to go to bed?

Anything that takes concentration.?.

If your mind is too active or involved in something, it can take a while for it to disengage. Try to avoid reading or watching t.v. right before bed.

A warm cup of chamomile tea could be helpful...

Strange for me to say this but: no drugs wink.gif . They'll only make you more dependent in the long run which would make falling asleep even more difficult. Whatever you find relaxing (again, no drugs) be it watching some boring movie/show, reading a book, or some warm drink is the way to go

If you have a TV in your bedroom, get it out of there! If you have a habit of lying in bed and watching TV, your brain quickly associates lying in bed with staying awake instead of with sleeping. The same thing happens with reading or listening to music while in bed.

Also, buy an air filter or a fan for your bedroom. The white noise they generate will help you to fall asleep.

Sound machines are awesome for those with Insommnia.

You could also try just getting up and taking care of a few small things to tire your self out and bit and free up the mind.

Most of my family suffers with insommnia and we have noticed what works for one doesn't work for another. Try a few different appraoches until you find what works best for you.

Sometimes a little cool10.gif helps me.

ph34r.gif

I've found that if my mind is too active, trying doing some difficult puzzles/crosswords before laying down to sleep. Seems that if I use my brain a lot before bedtime, I find it easier to relax and get to sleep.

I believe I heard that foods with potassium is helpful, such as a banana. Light snacks with tryptophan (the part of the turkey that makes you sleepy)

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ May 21 2008, 11:16 AM)
Sometimes a little cool10.gif helps me.

ph34r.gif

I've found that if my mind is too active, trying doing some difficult puzzles/crosswords before laying down to sleep. Seems that if I use my brain a lot before bedtime, I find it easier to relax and get to sleep.

Maybe that's the problem. I'm not using my brain enough during the day. unsure.gif

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ May 21 2008, 09:16 AM)
Sometimes a little  cool10.gif helps me.

That's the only thing that works for me.

Over the years I've tried sleeping pills, Nyquil & melatonin and they didn't do a thing.

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 20 2008, 11:03 PM)
I have big time trouble falling asleep, and it's probably because I'm not very active over the last year, but what's your trick to falling asleep?
I have sleeping pills, but most of the time they don't work.

My buddy Mr. Blaze is totally right. Screw the drugs/pills/booze.

I think you answered your own question actually when you said you haven't been very active lately. Depending on your living situation the best thing you could do is take a nice brisk 20 or 30 minute walk about an hour before bed - optionally followed by a nice not bath or shower.

Sweet dreams!

Archived