John Rutsey dead at 55

rushfr:CP

QUOTE (fs2112 @ May 14 2008, 09:46 AM)
terrible news.

he probably was a guy with a lot of class and integreity. he couldve capitalized on rush's popularity and written a few books about the early years of rush, or gone on a few talk shows to gossip about geddy and alex. he couldve even recorded a few solo albums in 82 or 83 when rush was becoming very popular.

instead, he did the classy thing and stayed out of rush's fame. RIP JR.

goodpost.gif

I really haven't thought of this but it sure sounds right to me - He moved on with his life and didn't try to ride the coattails. Thanks for helping this band get a healthy start, JR.

QUOTE (Fallen Catkin @ May 14 2008, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (1974FAN @ May 14 2008, 09:47 AM)
In The Mood or Finding My Way.

Don't hold your breath for those, they're too high for ged to sing now.

Peace and happiness for John. very very young sad.gif RIP

They could do In The Mood in a hearbeat. Did it until the 90s...!

Sad news indeed. I wonder why there is no mention on the bands website news section. I know it's not tour-related news, but still newsworthy to any real Rush fan.

sad.gif

QUOTE (the invisible man @ May 14 2008, 02:44 PM)
QUOTE (fs2112 @ May 14 2008, 09:46 AM)
terrible news. 

he probably was a guy with a lot of class and integreity.  he couldve capitalized on rush's popularity and written a few books about the early years of rush, or gone on a few talk shows to gossip about geddy and alex.  he couldve even recorded a few solo albums in 82 or 83 when rush was becoming very popular.

instead, he did the classy thing and stayed out of rush's fame.  RIP JR.

Not to dissagree, but I don't believe with Rush being at the height of there success in 1981, Rutsey could have really profited from it in any way. Thats just my opinion. Rush has had a fair amount of success in there career, and most certainly the highest level of longevity, but none of this really would helped John Rutsey make much money riding Rushs coat tails.

All that being said, he was a part of one of the greatest bands (the greatest) in rock history and im sure he was very proud of that.

Not only that, it wasn't really commonplace back then to do such a thing. It is more prevalent in our current self-serve world we live in.

Edited by mazyyz

Like i was telling a friend, it's a bit wild, John Rutsey dying. Strange. I didn't see that coming.. no one but family and close friends could of course. A former member of Rush who rocked it on 2.gif They still play Working Man, except not this tour. I mean, two Beatles have died now.. that's something that's no longer an unusual concept for me. Rutsey was only on the debut, but you gotta know he gave it his all when that album was being recorded. He will always be a part of Rush.

Had 2.gif on vinyl, but for some reason, never picked it up on CD. Have now rectified that situation by purchasing a "tribute" copy in memory of Mr. Rutsey. Guy checking me out at BB commented what a great album it was, but had no idea Neil was not the drummer. sad.gif

So, anyway, I've contributed to his estate.

John's obituary is in the Toronto Star today

RUTSEY, John 

RUTSEY, John Howard It is with deep sadness that John's family announces his untimely passing due to complications from his lifelong affliction with diabetes, at age 55. Donations may be made in John's memory to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, 7100 Woodbine Avenue, Suite 311, Markham, ON, L3R 5J2 (online: www.jdrf.ca, by phone: 905-944-4631). Online condolences: newbiggingfh@rogers.com . 
Edited by Cygnus The God Of Balance

Nothing much to add to the previous tributes. I've always loved the first album, and Here Again has always been one of my favourite Rush songs. I concur with the earlier comments about his dignified silence,something that a lot of today's 'celebs' could learn from.

Like many others on the board, I've made jokes about John in the past, but I think they've always been underscored with a sense of affection.

When John saw the potential for success, he stepped aside rather than stand in the way. That can't have been an easy decision to make, and fr that alone, he deserves the eternal respect of the Rushian community.

RIP John.

2.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ May 15 2008, 10:19 AM)
RUTSEY, John 

RUTSEY, John Howard It is with deep sadness that John's family announces his untimely passing due to complications from his lifelong affliction with diabetes, at age 55. Donations may be made in John's memory to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, 7100 Woodbine Avenue, Suite 311, Markham, ON, L3R 5J2 (online: www.jdrf.ca, by phone: 905-944-4631). Online condolences: newbiggingfh@rogers.com . 

Thank you for this. I sent an online message where it allowed and sent prayers to his family and friends from the scores of Rush fans here that he probably didn't even know he had. If you all don't mind my saying a few words on our collective behalf...

trink39.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 15 2008, 08:18 PM)
RUTSEY, John 

Thank you for this. I sent an online message where it allowed and sent prayers to his family and friends from the scores of Rush fans here that he probably didn't even know he had. If you all don't mind my saying a few words on our collective behalf...

trink39.gif

That's awesome. I hesitated but I sent my own message earlier today. Didn't wanna bombard whoever's email address that is with stuff but I decided it was something I really wanted to do. Shame it doesn't say who's address that is, it was difficult composing a message and not really knowing who it was going to.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ May 15 2008, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 15 2008, 08:18 PM)
RUTSEY, John 

trink39.gif

That's awesome. I hesitated but I sent my own message earlier today. Didn't wanna bombard whoever's email address that is with stuff but I decided it was something I really wanted to do. Shame it doesn't say who's address that is, it was difficult composing a message and not really knowing who it was going to.

Well I figured letting his family know (or reminding them) how much John was admired and respected as an artist couldn't be a bad thing. When my mother died 4 years ago this past Easter, I was most overwhelmed (postively) by the compassion of complete strangers to me...who only knew my mom in passing or through a friend, etc.

John was a great drummer and part of what made Rush 2.gif ! If not for John, who knows where Alex, Geddy and Neil would be today! ohmy.gif

I always felt sorry for John and wondered how he felt about the enormous success of Rush after he left. I wonder did he ever go to shows or keep in touch with Alex, Geddy and Neil.

I think a little tribute is in order on the website.

"Suddenly you were gone

From all the lives you left your mark upon"

Rock on John!

This is so sad. fists crying.gif

Never take anybody for granted. Not even for a minute. common001.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Orbourus @ May 15 2008, 03:25 PM)
I find it odd that there has been no mention of Johns passing on Rush.com

I would imagine that they're dealing with it privately before they decide to deal with it publicly. It was only last weekend that they lost him.

QUOTE (Orbourus @ May 15 2008, 05:25 PM)
I find it odd that there has been no mention of Johns passing on Rush.com

Me too..........but really not unusual since they don't even post tour dates there until the tour is half over........