John Rutsey dead at 55

rushfr:CP

For what it's worth, a couple more online news sites are reporting it:

Blabbermouth: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...ewsitemID=96902

Metal Underground:

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/detai...fm?newsid=36584

No new "news" though.

rose.gif rose.gif rose.gif rose.gif rose.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 13 2008, 07:22 PM)
QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ May 13 2008, 07:05 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 13 2008, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ May 13 2008, 05:31 PM)
the scariest part about this is that the other guys are right about his age sad.gif

yeah, but they're not Diabetic. Big difference. That disease is brutal...I'm telling ya...and we have no idea how much Rutsey took care of himself.

As I said, you can live a semi normal and long life with Diabetes, but you have to do a LOT of things to take care of yourself. If he decided he just didn't want to do it anymore, that could lead to something like this very quickly.

Diabetes isnt that big of a deal. My grandma is 84 and has diabetes and is quite healthy. But yea it can cause premature death.

No offense...but Diabetes IS DEFINITELY a Big Deal...and by the way there are different "types" of Diabetes...Type 1 and Type 2. My father was a Type 1...menaing he was insulin dependant and terrible complications his whole life. He dies in his early 60's from cancer...but it was indirectly related to how Diabetes affected him.

Your grandma may bea type 2...I'm not sure.....

Yea I didnt word that right. Diabetes is a BIG DEAL. Just not for my grandma.

Sorry for the confusion. I really need to stop being lazy with typing.

rose.gif R.I.P., John rose.gif

QUOTE (HamiltonYYZ @ May 13 2008, 05:36 PM)
RIP John Rutsey.

Very sad news...thanks for all your work, being one of the boys for a brief but essential time.

I said this before but their debut album Rush was the reason why I became a fan . I already have ASOH, but at the time I was more into the raw R&R kind of sound and their debut album made a big impression to me.

Rutsey brought the cowbell baby, to the best concert finale song, In The Mood. 1022.gif

It would be great of the boys did something special onstage for him... bring back Working Man or something smile.gif

We all should tip our hats, and pay our respects to John!!

He was there first, and got things started.

His Diabetes must have really been bad if he left the band so early in life...only to die at 55 years.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 13 2008, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ May 13 2008, 05:31 PM)
the scariest part about this is that the other guys are right about his age sad.gif

yeah, but they're not Diabetic. Big difference. That disease is brutal...I'm telling ya...and we have no idea how much Rutsey took care of himself.

As I said, you can live a semi normal and long life with Diabetes, but you have to do a LOT of things to take care of yourself. If he decided he just didn't want to do it anymore, that could lead to something like this very quickly.

My uncle has diabetes and he doesn't take care of himself at all. I worry about him sometimes

RIP John Rutsey

Thank you for helping to bring Rush to its glory in the early days. They may have never made it without you.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 13 2008, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (HamiltonYYZ @ May 13 2008, 05:36 PM)
RIP John Rutsey.

Very sad news...thanks for all your work, being one of the boys for a brief but essential time.

I said this before but their debut album Rush was the reason why I became a fan . I already have ASOH,  but at the time I was more into the raw R&R kind of sound and their debut album made a big impression to me.

Rutsey brought the cowbell baby, to the best concert finale song, In The Mood. 1022.gif

It would be great of the boys did something special onstage for him... bring back Working Man or something smile.gif

yes.gif Rutsey brought the cowbell alright trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

2.gif

Sad news...

Truly, an integral part of Rush in the beginning... without John, I firmly believe that we would have never heard of a group called Rush... a founding member, and the driving force behind the group in the beginning.

May you rest in peace John Rutsey...

-----------

I sure would like to see something from the first album worked back into the setlist, out of respect for John... maybe In The Mood, Working Man, or Finding My Way...

Edited by rushbass

Still nothing on rush.com. But then, they haven't updated anything there since 4/26.

Like many of you, I'll soon be playing RUSH as the requisite tribute to JR as he was a big part of an excellent debut album.

Like most of you, I'll be saying a quick prayer for John and his family before I do so...

Rest in Peace, Mr. Rutsey

sad.gif rose.gif

Peace, John.

You were the start of it, man.

QUOTE (Scooch @ May 13 2008, 05:38 PM)
According to Wikipedia -

On May 11, 2008, Rutsey passed away from a heart attack while he was asleep.

Yes. He passed away in his sleep due to a heart attack resulting from complications from diabetes. I know this due to an email exchange from someone I have 100% trust in.

Nothing from John's family as of yet, but there will be an announcement in a few days as to an address where fans can send a donation in John's name.

As for why nothing has been posted on rush.com, it is very possible that the web designers for rush.com at the request of Anthem, Geddy, Alex, and to that extent, Neil, are working on a proper tribute. Not just a quick news blurb. I personally wouldn't expect anything on rush.com for a day or more until the tribute is done, and the family has made their statements.

Oh this is really very sad news and my condolences to everyone associated with John Rutsey and to whatever extent. This sure is an unhappy way to end my day sad.gif however,I am sure that the boys will be working on some sort of special tribute and perhaps they might play something like FINDING MY WAY or IN THE MOOD or even a medly of songs from the first album during the encore from now on as a mark of respect for the initial founding drummer of our favourite band. RIP JOHN and we all salute you 2.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif Edited by different strings