Taking my son to the show???

rushfan1966

Someone mentioned this earlier... when you're 4 years old and your parents introduce you to Rush, of course you're going to like them because your parents like them and you want to be like them. Now fast forward 10 years... he's not going to want anything to do with Rush, because they're not "cool" and his parents like them.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushfan1966 @ Apr 27 2008, 10:10 AM)
I'm pretty sure that my decision has been made. I thank all of you for the input, good and bad. Especially "sky" about his 2 1/2 year old. I have to say that the parody threads are bullshit. I was asking a serious question. This thread was started to get a serious dicussion going.

My cousin is going to start giving my son drum lessons this week, he can do most of the RUSH songs by heart.

I talked to my wife, she has read all but the stupidest posts. I have a great friend sitting with me, my cousins are going to be sitting in the lawn section, if he goes, we will split time between the reserved and lawn sections.

HE will have headphone type ear protection on at all times during the concert, he will also be on a harness. I asked him what he will do when there is a song that he doesn't like comes on, he said he will just sit there and wait.

As far as him remembering anything, we took him to Disneyland at 1 year old, HE REMEMBERS!!!!!!

I am not doing this for myself, this would be strickly for him.
I will enjoy the concert whether he is there or not, I am going to see them the next night without him.

Again thank you for the SERIOUS posts. Keep them coming!!!!!!

2.gif  The Best Band in the World

First, goodpost.gif

IMO, I have no problem with kids at concerts; the problem developes when the parents are idiots and fail to prepare the child or themselves for what the night will bring, good and bad. Oh, and the MORONS who bring infants in baby carriers!!! dazed025.gif

This is YOUR decision to make! I think you have a good grasp on what your child can handle and seem prepared to manage the difficulties that may arrise. yes.gif This could be a GREAT and memorable time for both of you! ENJOY!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Each child is different and some can't handle live shows, some love them. I would love to take my son, he is also 4 and a Rush fan, but he is not the type to sit/stand for even 30mins at a time for ANYTHING!! We took him to Sesame Street live and it was WAY too loud, even with earplugs he wanted them to 'turn it down mom'' ; and he was more interested in the bathrooms and hallways then the show. we left at intermission.

My 9yr old on the other hand went to her first concert last summer (not Rush) and LOVED it! She can't wait to go to another show! We had lawn seats and We were very careful about where we sat and kept her within an arms reach of both of us ALL night! We were vigilant about watching those around us who got drunk and quickly moved away from those who looked like they were gonna be trouble. We all had a BLAST and it is a memory that we will all cherish! yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

As far as those comments about exposing your kids to 'those types of things', i.e. drunks etc. Well not everything in life is perfect and pretty and I don't believe that sheltering my child from the real world will benfit her at all!!! Part of parenting is teaching your kids right from wrong. Why can't a concert provide both fun and some education at the same time? confused13.gif I used the concert experience as a chance to address issues that she needs to learn as she gets older - negative affects of alcohol, being aware of your suroundings,and crowd safety to mention a few. We talked about all kinds of these things both before and after the show. ( As a matter of fact, she was exposed to more drunks at last years church picnic then at the concert!!!!)

Don't forget the camera to capture the huge SMILE on his face when Rush takes the stage!!!!

My family, like alot of ya`ll, are Rush Fans!! We took our then 9 year old daughter to the R30 Show. She was almost as tall as me then!!! (I`m 5`8...it`s the chicken!! ) She has an extensive Rush-Song knowledge, she knows how to hold it when her songs are on, and she`s my oldest!! My oldest son is a short 8 years old. And we`ve had to leave him twice because he`s still too short. Like his older sis, he knows the music, but he wouldn`t be able to see confused13.gif . My 4 year, I think is too young, even though he too loves Rush, and Katheryn is only 9 months!!

I wouldn`t take the 4 year old.

I just don`t see either of you having a good experience.

Ya`ll take care.

QUOTE (mystic @ Apr 27 2008, 11:47 PM)
As far as those comments about exposing your kids to 'those types of things', i.e. drunks etc. Well not everything in life is perfect and pretty and I don't believe that sheltering my child from the real world will benfit her at all!!! Part of parenting is teaching your kids right from wrong. Why can't a concert provide both fun and some education at the same time? confused13.gif I used the concert experience as a chance to address issues that she needs to learn as she gets older - negative affects of alcohol, being aware of your suroundings,and crowd safety to mention a few. We talked about all kinds of these things both before and after the show. ( As a matter of fact, she was exposed to more drunks at last years church picnic then at the concert!!!!)

I totally agree...but at 4 they have no concept on the negative effects of alcohol, public safety, etc.. Plus they will have plenty of time in their life to be exposed to that sort of stuff and learn from it.

I'm really surprised by some of the judgemental statements being made in this thread. If someone chooses to take their kids to a concert it's their decision as a parent, and if you'd choose otherwise then that's your choice as well. Personally, I grew up going to concerts of all musical styles (rock jazz, classical) and it was an integral part of my education. I developed a passion for music and learned to appreciate the arts in general, where a lot of my friends never did.

I have no problem with people choosing not to take their young children to live music, but to question someone's decision to do so as being moronic, irresponsible, or adolescent is way off base. I thought most RUSH fans had more class than that.

RushFan, have a great time.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 28 2008, 11:27 PM)
I'm really surprised by some of the judgemental statements being made in this thread. If someone chooses to take their kids to a concert it's their decision as a parent, and if you'd choose otherwise then that's your choice as well. Personally, I grew up going to concerts of all musical styles (rock jazz, classical) and it was an integral part of my education. I developed a passion for music and learned to appreciate the arts in general, where a lot of my friends never did.

I have no problem with people choosing not to take their young children to live music, but to question someone's decision to do so as being moronic, irresponsible, or adolescent is way off base. I thought most RUSH fans had more class than that.

RushFan, have a great time.

trink39.gif

Well, he opened this thread asking for the opinions of others, right? And that's exactly what he got. Personally, I've seen a lot of parents do things with their kids that makes me want to ask them if they need directions to the "how to be a parent clinic". I mean, look at all these idiot parents who take their kids to a restaurant and let them run around as if it's a jungle gym, completely oblivious to everyone else in the room.

And then you have the losers who sit there and bargain with their screaming kids, counting to 10 before they give them a friggin "time-out" so everyone else in the room gets to hear them scream, rather than take them out to the car and teach them who's the boss. Just because someone is a parent doesn't mean they're qualified for the job. Any idiot can have a kid, and many do. That being said, I think the original poster was sincere and simply wanted the other sides opinon.

trink39.gif

Last August I was on this forum asking the same question. Both of my boys (3 and 6 at the time) are die hard Rush fans. Since I had only been to one Rush concert (which was in Vegas for the VT tour), I thought I would get the input of other Rush fans as I was contemplating taking my boys to the 8/11 Dallas show.

Long story short, my boys have now seen Rush twice (Dallas and OKC) and I'm sure they will thank me for many years to come. The band will not be touring by the time they are "concert age," so from now on they can always say they got to see the best band on earth. If that makes my wife and I bad parents, then I guess we are bad parents.

Here is a clip of our boys enjoying RUSH.

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn319/G...nt=100_2315.flv

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Apr 29 2008, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (GfourRush @ Apr 29 2008, 01:56 AM)
Both of my boys (3 and 6 at the time) are die hard Rush fans.

wtf.gif

wtf.gif x2

QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 29 2008, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Apr 29 2008, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (GfourRush @ Apr 29 2008, 01:56 AM)
Both of my boys (3 and 6 at the time) are die hard Rush fans.

wtf.gif

wtf.gif x2

They were 3 and 6 years old LAST August when they saw Rush.

Four might be too young. I'm bringing my seven year old to the show and I'm a little worried. I bought nosebleed seats (upper mezz at Jones Beach) so that if he doesn't make it; it won't be a total loss.

Either way, if you do go, I'd recommend ear plugs and plenty of snacks.

I personally wouldn't take my 4 year old to see a rock concert. But then, she's not too fond of loud noises or sitting in one spot for very long. She's a doer, not a watcher. Plus, I wouldn't want to answer her endless questions about "mama, why is his hair long?" "mama, why is there chicken on the stage?" "mama, why did he just say that?" "mama, what's in the larger bowl?" "mama, why are there monkeys on the screen?" "mama, why is that dragon red?" "mama, why are his drums red?" "mama, why did you just throw your undies at the man with long hair?" tongue.gif Also, my daughters both really like their sleep and staying awake for the whole show would just be UGLY on the way home.

I'm not going to discount anyone saying their 2-4 year olds are major Rush fans. My daughter loves Akon, Gwen Stefani, Gorillaz, anything with a good dance beat. She knows the words and she even knows the names of the songs and asks for them by name. Kids that young do know what they like as far as music. Alas, my daughter is not much of a Rush fan.

You know your child best and if you think he can handle it - and not ruin any of your seat neighbors' experience - then so be it. Take him, have a great time and I hope he has a great time also. Some kids really can handle the noise and the late night. Be sure to take pictures, though, and get him a shirt. I do have to agree that Rush is one of the few bands I listen to that I would consider taking my kids to. As many others have pointed out, there's no swearing (though my 4 year old can find the ONE word that you don't want her to repeat every time), and for the most part the fans are a tame crowd. Just remember that if he does decide he's done half way through and wants to go home...don't fault him for it. He's just a 4 year old.

Now, as for Abraham the goldfish?? I totally agree with taking him. Just be sure to keep a good eye on whatever vessel of water you take him in. You don't want any concert goers to mistake him for a beer, a drinking game or a cup of pee to throw on someone.

If I had a 4 year old, I personally wouldn't take them, because it would be for my own enjoyment. But, if the kid is incredibly into Rush, why not?

Also, all this talk about the child not remembering the concert is complete bollocks. If the child is still exposed to Rush for years after the concert, it will trigger the cues in the brain to retrieve the memories.

QUOTE (rushfan1966 @ Apr 25 2008, 11:58 AM)
My son is so into RUSH. Everyday he asks me to put in R30 or Rio DVD. He knows more songs and lyrics than a lot of RUSH fans I know. I told him earlier this year when the tickets for this leg went on sale that I would tak ehim to the next tour, but not this year. My wife agreed with that but now, as much as he is into it, she thinks maybe he should go. He goes around singing the songs. He want speople to call him Geddy. His favorite song is "Roll the Bones" No spoilers here!!!!! He loves the dragon song, " One Little Victory" 

There are a few problems though.

1 He is only 4.
2 He asks me to skip songs on the DVD, I can't skip a live show.
3 My wife and I are trying to potty train him, he is almost there, so he is  going to have to go sometime during the show.

4 Its a long drive both ways for a 4 year old.
5 I know he will enjoy it but?????

So I need to hear your opinions about this, pro and con.
Thank you all for your help.

2.gif  The Best Band in the World

What other tricky parental dilemmas are you struggling with? Advice on his potty training, maybe?

Can I ask a question...What happens when your son/daughter is now lets say 11 or 12 and have developed different musical tastes than you. So Johnny/Susan asks now to go to a concert of the band they love but your not so fond of...

How do you say no? and if you do for what reason? unsure.gif

You can't tell them you are too young to go to a concert, trust me most pre-teens will snap right back well I went to see Rush at 4 why can't I go now!

So what do you do then?

QUOTE (owlswing @ Apr 29 2008, 07:27 PM)
Can I ask a question...What happens when your son/daughter is now lets say 11 or 12 and have developed different musical tastes than you. So Johnny/Susan asks now to go to a concert of the band they love but your not so fond of...

You can't tell them you are too young to go to a concert, trust me most pre-teens will snap right back well I went to see Rush at 4 why can't I go now!

So what do you do then?

You go see Hannah Montana with them 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Apr 29 2008, 06:30 PM)
QUOTE (owlswing @ Apr 29 2008, 07:27 PM)

How do you say no? and if you do for what reason?  unsure.gif

So what do you do then?

You go see Hannah Montana with them 062802puke_prv.gif

Yes sad.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

My son just turned 4 this month. I am going to the Philly show in June and there is NO FREAKING WAY I would take him. Too young, too loud, too much stuff going on that I wouldnt want him around yet. He wouldnt sit through it anyway. I am taking my nephews, 15 and 17 and I thought they were JUST BARELY old enough to take.

I wont even take him to the local hockey, baseball, or football team games where there is nothing but families there. I think 10 would be the minimum age and the kid would need to be very into Rush and very mature for his age (and if his old man isnt yet, why should he be at 10? tongue.gif )

QUOTE (owlswing @ Apr 30 2008, 12:27 AM)

You say 'No', because their parent ain't gonna be there.

Some of you wanted an update........

I used some of your suggestions. We watched R30 the whole thing yesterday no skips. Today we watched Rio with only one skip and that was me. I am tired of Closer to the Heart.

My wife and I have taken our son to many, many ballgames. He gets a little anxious so I walk with him but he loves baseball. He has seen his share of drunks even though he doesn't know what that means yet. A friend of ours smokes so he has accidently smelled that and didn't question it. ( I smoke cigarettes and he is used to that.) Like I mentioned before he would be splitting time between my cousins and I . They each can have the chance to be down front that way too. So its good all the way around, again that is if he goes!! I do appreciate all the comments that were serious. I got a little ticked about some of the Bullshit comments, but I am over that now. By the way, does that guy who asked if I need potty training tips giving them to me or getting them from me. I'm confused. LOL.

2.gif The Best Band in the World

Archived