SHARK CAUGHT IN BAY...............

Slacker

A friend just sent this to me. Wow!

Chesapeake Bay, near Route 50 Bay Bridge and Sandy Point State Parkat. I have the ultimate excuse not to do the Polar Bear Plunge in January. Its not only crazy to jump into freezing cold water, it could be down right dangerous! Note the expression on the face of the man wearing the Red Baseball cap. Hes still scared half out of his wits and glad to be alive!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/bobwire/shark.jpg

Annapolis MD

While the vessel 'Dawn Raider out of Marklys Marina in Essex, Md. was fishing for Striped Bass (also locally known as Rock Fish), this Great White was hooked in the mouth but only resisted slightly for 15 minutes before it came up alongside t he boat to have a look; long enough for one of the crew members to slip a rope a round it's tail!!! 'And that's when things heated up!!

.. The Shark took off towing the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through the water at about 7 Knots. Just like in JAWS, the boat was taking on water over the stern and the crew watched in horror as the shark would actually jump completely out of the water at times. This went on for an hour before the shark finally drowned. She wei ghed in at 1035 L BS. It is suspected she followed a weak El Nino current into local waters in search of food. Although mid 60 degree water is considered ideal for these sharks, the larger ones can tolerate water in the low 50s.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/bobwire/shark2.jpg

Markley's Marina Essex, MD

NOTE: THE TAIL FIN IS THE SIZE OF A MAN!

A pitiful end to a wonderful beast.....lashed to a frigging forklift.

Dreadful stuff.

The shark is closer to the camera than the man, so the tailfin wouldn't be that big.

"The crew watched in horror", as their 42 foot boat spent an hour drowning the shark. The poor ickle crew, aah.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 21 2008, 05:41 PM)
Dreadful stuff.
The shark is closer to the camera than the man, so the tailfin wouldn't be that big.

"The crew watched in horror", as their 42 foot boat spent an hour drowning the shark. The poor ickle crew, aah.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 21 2008, 12:41 PM)
Dreadful stuff.

I'm not sticking up for theses guys, but they weren't shark fishing and

the shark was in a bay. Wrong place at the wrong time.

The shark was out of it's environment.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 21 2008, 11:41 AM)
Dreadful stuff.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

False story. Sorry to ruin the fun.

That is a Mako shark caught in Yarmouth Nova Scotia in Canada. Hint number one is the area code on the forklift.

Don't believe everything you get emailed to you. I only got on the trail because I wanted more info on the story and couldn't find squat on any of the local or national news websites when searching. So I thought other than searching Annapolis news or Maryland news that maybe the area code would help me figure out what city it happened in, and *whammo* not even close to Maryland.

Here is the Snopes article for this:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/yarmouth.asp

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 21 2008, 02:11 PM)
False story.  Sorry to ruin the fun.

That is a Mako shark caught in Yarmouth Nova Scotia in Canada.  Hint number one is the area code on the forklift.

Don't believe everything you get emailed to you.  I only got on the trail because I wanted more info on the story and couldn't find squat on any of the local or national news websites when searching.  So I thought other than searching Annapolis news or Maryland news that maybe the area code would help me figure out what city it happened in, and *whammo* not even close to Maryland.

Thanks for the information, Godeater2112.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 21 2008, 01:11 PM)
False story. Sorry to ruin the fun.

That is a Mako shark caught in Yarmouth Nova Scotia in Canada. Hint number one is the area code on the forklift.

Don't believe everything you get emailed to you. I only got on the trail because I wanted more info on the story and couldn't find squat on any of the local or national news websites when searching. So I thought other than searching Annapolis news or Maryland news that maybe the area code would help me figure out what city it happened in, and *whammo* not even close to Maryland.

It goes on to say the kid "battled" the shark eh?

Hmmm, maybe if he grabbed a bowie knife and dove over the side of the boat. I'd call that a battle. As it was, the shark had no chance.

I'd also like to say that although it's big, at 10 feet it's about half of how big a Great White can get. It's really big for a Mako though. Makos have always been one of my favorites as a kid because of their prominent teeth. Makes 'em look scary as hell.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 21 2008, 07:11 PM)

That is a Mako shark caught in Yarmouth Nova Scotia in Canada.  Hint number one is the area code on the forklift.

Don't believe everything you get emailed to you.  I only got on the trail because I wanted more info on the story and couldn't find squat on any of the local or national news websites when searching.  So I thought other than searching Annapolis news or Maryland news that maybe the area code would help me figure out what city it happened in, and *whammo* not even close to Maryland.

It doesn't matter where it happened, it's still a dead shark which they made suffer.

Poor thing. People are evil. angry.gif

I mean...why...?

QUOTE (Jaye @ Apr 21 2008, 06:02 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 21 2008, 07:11 PM)

It doesn't matter where it happened, it's still a dead shark which they made suffer.

Poor thing. People are evil. angry.gif

I mean...why...?

goodpost.gif

A shark derby. wtf.gif Senseless killing. sad.gif

QUOTE (Slacker @ Apr 21 2008, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 21 2008, 12:41 PM)
Dreadful stuff.

I'm not sticking up for theses guys, but they weren't shark fishing and

the shark was in a bay. Wrong place at the wrong time.

The shark was out of it's environment.

goodpost.gif i do feel bad for the poor sharkie though

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Apr 21 2008, 06:24 PM)
This thread got soupy and sappy really fast.  I don't believe in senseless killing of animals but if I accidentally hooked one of these bad boys, I would do my best to bring him in.  Just as the shark would do with me.

It actually happened during a shark derby, though, at which the entire point is to trap and catch sharks to win cash. If it was actually an accident I would understand. yes.gif

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Apr 21 2008, 07:24 PM)
This thread got soupy and sappy really fast. I don't believe in senseless killing of animals but if I accidentally hooked one of these bad boys, I would do my best to bring him in. Just as the shark would do with me.

I thought about that too, actually wink.gif

I don't agree to kill sharks, but I also fear them.

Sometimes those things happen.

will all the vegetarians please raise their hand?

;-)

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Apr 21 2008, 02:28 PM)

Hmmm, maybe if he grabbed a bowie knife and dove over the side of the boat. I'd call that a battle. As it was, the shark had no chance.

I'd also like to say that although it's big, at 10 feet it's about half of how big a Great White can get. It's really big for a Mako though. Makos have always been one of my favorites as a kid because of their prominent teeth. Makes 'em look scary as hell.

Makos are my favorite because they're delicious! drool1.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 21 2008, 08:57 PM)

Your such an openwaterman aren't you laugh.gif

(get it? instead of outdoorsman?)

I don't care anyways trink38.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 21 2008, 07:57 PM)

Yes sir. Great on the grill.

QUOTE (Slacker @ Apr 22 2008, 12:29 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 21 2008, 08:57 PM)

Your such an openwaterman aren't you laugh.gif

(get it? instead of outdoorsman?)

I don't care anyways trink38.gif

laugh.gif I do enjoy fishing! I've never caught a mako but I'd love to because I hear they're awesome fighters.

Another senseless killing by man! When will we learn? There are future generations out there that will never see animals, sea creatures, etc. if we keep killing them all!

Archived