Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Natural Rush @ Oct 24 2009, 06:27 AM)
Really did not like the new album at all , just couldn't get into it , tis a shame as i love most of the other albums

Give it a few listens then put it down for a few weeks and come back to it. If you like the others its unfathomable really confused13.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Oct 23 2009, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 22 2009, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 22 2009, 07:53 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Oct 22 2009, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 22 2009, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 22 2009, 01:50 PM)
Does anyone know how many copies they sold so far  ?

I looked for the sales numbers. While I can't seem to find how many have sold to date, I found these articles I thought I'd share.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/genera...e_incident.html

http://www.top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=51945

In the U.S., first week it sold 17,574, but has only sold 29,526 units to date.

sad

I can't figure this out either. sad.gif

I am not all that surprised. Its a hard CD to get into. TI is near the bottom of the PT discography IMO.

Really? I think it is way better than some of their earlier albums for sure.

For me TI is probably 2nd to Deadwing for me so far.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 23 2009, 04:27 PM)

I looked for the sales numbers. While I can't seem to find how many have sold to date, I found these articles I thought I'd share.

sad

I am not all that surprised. Its a hard CD to get into. TI is near the bottom of the PT discography IMO.

its really good but probably the weakest of the post In Absentia records.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 23 2009, 06:27 PM)

sad

I like the early stuff too. I have an inclination towards trippy space rock as you might know, being the huge ozric tentacles fan that i am.

I think i have all of PT's studio discs except for Signify. Listening to TI again now. Right now of disc 2, Flicker is my fave. Love the vocals.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Oct 24 2009, 12:40 PM)
i dont know how anyone can dislike The Incident  confused13.gif

maybe you should give it some more time, because ive problem listened to it in its entirety like 30 times by now.....and it gets better each time!

yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

Edited by Steevo

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 23 2009, 08:01 PM)

maybe you should give it some more time, because ive problem listened to it in its entirety like 30 times by now.....and it gets better each time!

Yeah, man. +1. I listen to it every day on the way to work and then at least once all the way through while I'm working. Amazing and almost hypnotic.

But, Wilderness... have you really "problem listened" to it? laugh.gif

Sorry. That made me giggle. tongue.gif

Watching the "Arriving Somewhere..." DVD right now. So freaking cool. 1022.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 23 2009, 08:36 PM)

Yeah, man. +1. I listen to it every day on the way to work and then at least once all the way through while I'm working. Amazing and almost hypnotic.

SHUT UP YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Oct 23 2009, 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 23 2009, 08:36 PM)

SHUT UP YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT

laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

Of course!!!! Just gotta bust your chops, don't ya' know?

653.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 24 2009, 01:36 PM)

Hard to tire from that DVD huh. I've finally caved in and put a mail order in before the Xmas craziness a week ago to Aussie as not one store here are bringing it in EVER it seems!! Albums, no probs, DVDs?? fergedaboudit angry.gif

100% right. The Incident is a grower. The more you listen, the better it gets. thought it was good when I first heard it, LOVE it now.

Listening to The Seance today, I heard The Lamia by Genesis. There is a similarity.

There is so much I don't have from this band. Still being the recent fan, and getting some of the albums, but have a long ways to go.

Anyway, my buddy came over the house the other day because he felt compelled to play for me this incredible drummer on this kick ass song he found. The band? Sorry, can't remember. The song? Also forgetible. The drummer? I have no idea. I've discovered Gavin Harrison, so please. Not putting the other guy down, but it was standard double bass repetitive metal stuff. While very good (and fast), just not what I consider to be killer talent. Not like what I've heard from Gavin. Sorry Joe. I love ya, man. I really do. This is the same guy who turned me on to many other bands (including Rev Theory and Alter Bridge whom I love), so not knocking Joe either. But this time was a miss.

So anyway, the entire time I'm listening to this song he wanted me to hear, I'm thinking what I would want to put together for my buddy if I wanted to turn him onto PT. I described them as Pink Floyd smacks into Rush, and out pops PT. All the lush, full, flowing sounds and floating atmosphere of Floyd, coupled with the odd time signatures, complex song structures, tight as hell playing, meaningful lyrics, and sick-mad drumming that you get from Rush. That's PT to me. So here's what I put together. I promised myself I would not exceed 12 songs (a sort of 6 song per side approach). And I settled on 14. I've been listening to it endlessly.

Fear Of A Blank Planet

The Sound of Muzak

Time Flies

The Start of Something Beautiful

Mother and Child Divided

Strip The Soul

Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here

Blackest Eyes

Trains

Anesthetize

Lazarus

Prodigal

Way Out Of Here

Dark Matter

QUOTE (Pags @ Oct 24 2009, 08:25 PM)
There is so much I don't have from this band. Still being the recent fan, and getting some of the albums, but have a long ways to go.

Anyway, my buddy came over the house the other day because he felt compelled to play for me this incredible drummer on this kick ass song he found. The band? Sorry, can't remember. The song? Also forgetible. The drummer? I have no idea. I've discovered Gavin Harrison, so please. Not putting the other guy down, but it was standard double bass repetitive metal stuff. While very good (and fast), just not what I consider to be killer talent. Not like what I've heard from Gavin. Sorry Joe. I love ya, man. I really do. This is the same guy who turned me on to many other bands (including Rev Theory and Alter Bridge whom I love), so not knocking Joe either. But this time was a miss.

So anyway, the entire time I'm listening to this song he wanted me to hear, I'm thinking what I would want to put together for my buddy if I wanted to turn him onto PT. I described them as Pink Floyd smacks into Rush, and out pops PT. All the lush, full, flowing sounds and floating atmosphere of Floyd, coupled with the odd time signatures, complex song structures, tight as hell playing, meaningful lyrics, and sick-mad drumming that you get from Rush. That's PT to me. So here's what I put together. I promised myself I would not exceed 12 songs (a sort of 6 song per side approach). And I settled on 14. I've been listening to it endlessly.

Fear Of A Blank Planet
The Sound of Muzak
Time Flies
Mother and Child Divided
Strip The Soul

Blackest Eyes
Trains
Anesthetize
Lazarus
Prodigal
Way Out Of Here
Dark Matter

That's a pretty good mix Pags....I know it is so hard to keep it down to a set number of songs but I would say the only 2 songs missing for me would be Halo and Deadwing.

The drummer? I have no idea. I've discovered Gavin Harrison, so please.

laugh.gif

I don't think enough can be said about the talent of this guy.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 25 2009, 07:55 AM)
The drummer?  I have no idea.  I've discovered Gavin Harrison, so please.

laugh.gif

I don't think enough can be said about the talent of this guy.

What about GH's solo discs? How are they?

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 24 2009, 10:29 PM)
There is so much I don't have from this band.  Still being the recent fan, and getting some of the albums, but have a long ways to go.

Anyway, my buddy came over the house the other day because he felt compelled to play for me this incredible drummer on this kick ass song he found.  The band?  Sorry, can't remember.  The song?  Also forgetible.  The drummer?  I have no idea.  I've discovered Gavin Harrison, so please.  Not putting the other guy down, but it was standard double bass repetitive metal stuff.  While very good (and fast), just not what I consider to be killer talent.  Not like what I've heard from Gavin.  Sorry Joe.  I love ya, man.  I really do.  This is the same guy who turned me on to many other bands (including Rev Theory and Alter Bridge whom I love), so not knocking Joe either.  But this time was a miss.

So anyway, the entire time I'm listening to this song he wanted me to hear, I'm thinking what I would want to put together for my buddy if I wanted to turn him onto PT.  I described them as Pink Floyd smacks into Rush, and out pops PT.  All the lush, full, flowing sounds and floating atmosphere of Floyd, coupled with the odd time signatures, complex song structures, tight as hell playing, meaningful lyrics, and sick-mad drumming that you get from Rush.  That's PT to me.  So here's what I put together.  I promised myself I would not exceed 12 songs (a sort of 6 song per side approach).  And I settled on 14.  I've been listening to it endlessly.

Fear Of A Blank Planet
The Sound of Muzak
Time Flies
Mother and Child Divided
Strip The Soul

Blackest Eyes
Trains
Anesthetize
Lazarus
Prodigal
Way Out Of Here
Dark Matter

That's a pretty good mix Pags....I know it is so hard to keep it down to a set number of songs but I would say the only 2 songs missing for me would be Halo and Deadwing.

Thanks, Rick! Yeah I had a difficult time shaving songs off. But you know what? I've added Deadwing, and think I'll place it between Blackest Eyes and Trains. Now I'm up to 15 songs. doh.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Oct 25 2009, 10:15 AM)
There is so much I don't have from this band.  Still being the recent fan, and getting some of the albums, but have a long ways to go.

Anyway, my buddy came over the house the other day because he felt compelled to play for me this incredible drummer on this kick ass song he found.  The band?  Sorry, can't remember.  The song?  Also forgetible.  The drummer?  I have no idea.  I've discovered Gavin Harrison, so please.  Not putting the other guy down, but it was standard double bass repetitive metal stuff.  While very good (and fast), just not what I consider to be killer talent.  Not like what I've heard from Gavin.  Sorry Joe.  I love ya, man.  I really do.  This is the same guy who turned me on to many other bands (including Rev Theory and Alter Bridge whom I love), so not knocking Joe either.  But this time was a miss.

So anyway, the entire time I'm listening to this song he wanted me to hear, I'm thinking what I would want to put together for my buddy if I wanted to turn him onto PT.  I described them as Pink Floyd smacks into Rush, and out pops PT.  All the lush, full, flowing sounds and floating atmosphere of Floyd, coupled with the odd time signatures, complex song structures, tight as hell playing, meaningful lyrics, and sick-mad drumming that you get from Rush.  That's PT to me.  So here's what I put together.  I promised myself I would not exceed 12 songs (a sort of 6 song per side approach).  And I settled on 14.  I've been listening to it endlessly.

Fear Of A Blank Planet
The Sound of Muzak
Time Flies
Mother and Child Divided
Strip The Soul

Blackest Eyes
Trains
Anesthetize
Lazarus
Prodigal
Way Out Of Here
Dark Matter

Thanks, Rick! Yeah I had a difficult time shaving songs off. But you know what? I've added Deadwing, and think I'll place it between Blackest Eyes and Trains. Now I'm up to 15 songs. doh.gif

A very good list but I would have to include "Open Car" so, maybe , 16 songs?

Take Care

QUOTE (Hear Again @ Oct 25 2009, 10:01 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Oct 25 2009, 10:15 AM)

Fear Of A Blank Planet
The Sound of Muzak
Time Flies
Mother and Child Divided
Strip The Soul

Blackest Eyes
Trains
Anesthetize
Lazarus
Prodigal
Way Out Of Here
Dark Matter

A very good list but I would have to include "Open Car" so, maybe , 16 songs?

Take Care

that is a good list.

my ashes is another amazing tune to consider.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 24 2009, 01:52 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 24 2009, 01:36 PM)

Hard to tire from that DVD huh. I've finally caved in and put a mail order in before the Xmas craziness a week ago to Aussie as not one store here are bringing it in EVER it seems!! Albums, no probs, DVDs?? fergedaboudit angry.gif

That sucks. It's a good thing you can order it from the internet, though. PM me after you've watched it. It is such a great DVD.

Great List pags......but it's missing some great early PT tracks..

Nine Cats

Voyage 34

Radioactive Toy

The Sky Moves Sideways

Waiting (Phase 1)

Stars Die

The Nostalgia Factory

are some I would mix in as well.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 26 2009, 01:32 AM)
Great List pags......but it's missing some great early PT tracks..

Nine Cats
Voyage 34
Radioactive Toy
The Sky Moves Sideways
Waiting (Phase 1)
Stars Die
The Nostalgia Factory

are some I would mix in as well.

Thanks! smile.gif

Yeah, these song you listed are all from releases I don't own yet. I don't know any of these songs. Hopefully one day soon, I will.