Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 14 2009, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 14 2009, 11:13 AM)
Who all here at TRF is catching this US tour?

I really wanted to catch them this tour, but I may not be able to. Not having a job will do that. laugh.gif

Fear of a blank checking account?

I hear ya man. Its easily been the worst year for me in 10 years or so. Nonetheless I will go deeper into debt for good shows. I am lucky in the sense that most shows I go to are less than $20, I think PT was only $16 bucks last time around. my next show is BTBAM and is only $12!

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 14 2009, 02:32 PM)

I really wanted to catch them this tour, but I may not be able to. Not having a job will do that. laugh.gif

I hear ya man. Its easily been the worst year for me in 10 years or so. Nonetheless I will go deeper into debt for good shows. I am lucky in the sense that most shows I go to are less than $20, I think PT was only $16 bucks last time around. my next show is BTBAM and is only $12!

Fear of a Blank Checking account? unsure.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

For me it would be more than the price of a ticket. I'd have to travel at least 4 hours to catch a show, either Toronto or NYC. Oh, well, maybe they'll put out a DVD.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 14 2009, 02:00 PM)

For me it would be more than the price of a ticket. I'd have to travel at least 4 hours to catch a show, either Toronto or NYC. Oh, well, maybe they'll put out a DVD.

Thats right you are in the Saratoga Springs area or thereabouts? That would be a haul.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 14 2009, 02:22 PM)
Checked the Best Buy insert in the newspaper today..

Its going to be 9.99 there at Best Buy! What a deal!

I will be heading down there tomorrow morning to pick it up!

that and the new megadeth which hopefully will also be on sale.

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 14 2009, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 14 2009, 02:00 PM)

Thats right you are in the Saratoga Springs area or thereabouts? That would be a haul.

Actually the Syracuse area. I'd love to live in Saratoga though. I'd be living at SPAC all summer. smile.gif

I got the deluxe edition of The Incident today. It's gorgeous! I understand now why it weighs so much. The hardback book is about the dimensions of an LP and is beautifully bound with places in the front inside and back inside cover to hold the CD's. The other "booklet" is of the same size as the hardbound book, and the drawings by Hajo Mueller are incredible. I'm going to wait to listen to the CD until I have it loaded on my iPod and I can listen without interruptions. This is one of those investments that has made me really nervous, especially after reading some of the initial feedback. But, I don't doubt the money I spent now at all, even before hearing it.

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 14 2009, 08:20 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 14 2009, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 14 2009, 08:55 AM)
I have to say, I'm becomming more and more blown away by this band.  I've spent the last week listening to Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, and FOABP (mostly Absentia) - and I just can't get enough.  The more I hear the more I.... HEAR.  So much in the music to pick out that I didn't hear on the previous listen.  It's just awesome.  I'm serious when I say I have not had this kind of a feeling about a band since I had my epiphony with Rush back in 1991.  The more I listen to these guys, the more I want to dive in deeper, and listen more.  This is huge.

It's like Rush and Pink Floyd slammed together and out popped Porcupine Tree.  Yet they don't for a minute sound like a copy band, or somone trying to rip off the sound or identity from someone else.  They totally make their own mark on every song.

Personal Favs at this point are:

Dark Matter (the song that started it all for me)
Hatesong
Blackest Eyes
Trains
THE SOUND OF MUZAK (my fav)
Prodigal
Anesthetize
Sleep Together

The CD I've listened least to is Lightbulb Sun.  Something about it just sounds 'old' even at the time of its release, so it's taken a little bit more getting used to, while the others just sucked me right in.

I want MORE!

Have you listened to Deadwing yet? That album is pretty awesome as well. 1022.gif

That's what I'm reading.... some folks here say it's their masterpiece. But I have not heard it yet.

I dont think Deadwing is any more of a masterpiece than In Absentia or FOABP, but it is awesome. 1022.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 14 2009, 03:37 PM)

Its going to be 9.99 there at Best Buy!  What a deal!

Muse's new record is going to be $9.99 at Best Buy, too. Maybe I'll pick up The Incident with it - I don't make impulse purchases that often, but the last new album I bought with little/no prior warning was Taking Back Sunday's New Again, which is probably my biggest surprise of 2009, so far. So, assuming Best Buy are actually carrying the record, I may pick The Incident up. This may be the start of a good friendship!

One of the tracks off the newest album is on the free disc that came with the Classic Rock Prog issue (the one with the Rush covers). It is "Time Flies" and I belive it's a shortened version, but I loved it!! Now I must have this album. Hopefully the rest doesn't disappoint.

I have to say, I'm becomming more and more blown away by this band.  I've spent the last week listening to Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, and FOABP (mostly Absentia) - and I just can't get enough.  The more I hear the more I.... HEAR.  So much in the music to pick out that I didn't hear on the previous listen.  It's just awesome.  I'm serious when I say I have not had this kind of a feeling about a band since I had my epiphony with Rush back in 1991.  The more I listen to these guys, the more I want to dive in deeper, and listen more.  This is huge.

It's like Rush and Pink Floyd slammed together and out popped Porcupine Tree.  Yet they don't for a minute sound like a copy band, or somone trying to rip off the sound or identity from someone else.  They totally make their own mark on every song.

I want MORE!

Why are we PT newbies so excited about this band? Is it the great musicianship? The prog aspect (long songs, odd-time signatures)? The "realness" of the music, despite the technical prowess? The unbelievably good drummer and his kickass fills -- the guy many say is the best drummer in rock right now? The insane instrumental breaks in the middle of songs? The thoughtful lyrics?

Any of that sound familiar? Like, maybe we had those same reactions to another band that we started getting into 20-30 years ago? wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 14 2009, 11:02 PM)

I want MORE!

Why are we PT newbies so excited about this band? Is it the great musicianship? The prog aspect (long songs, odd-time signatures)? The "realness" of the music, despite the technical prowess? The unbelievably good drummer and his kickass fills -- the guy many say is the best drummer in rock right now? The insane instrumental breaks in the middle of songs? The thoughtful lyrics?

Any of that sound familiar? Like, maybe we had those same reactions to another band that we started getting into 20-30 years ago? wink.gif

I'm getting more and more miffed that I'll probably miss the show. I'd really love to see what these guy can do live.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 14 2009, 01:25 AM)
WOW......... The PT site is completely new!!! It looks great, and the addition of the video player is spot on!

The Video playlist includes a live version of "Way out of Here" that is taken from the upcoming live DVD!!!!!

check it out!

http://www.porcupinetree.com/

Watching that vid now. Very cool.

I want MORE!

Not to be a bug about this, but even though I agree with the bulk of what you said, I don't consider the musicianship (except for GH of course) to be anything exceptional. They are very good, but I expect that from a band that writes Prog. They certainly are not a collective of virtuosos. But they write outstanding music and like you say, real music. They are a band like Rush in the sense that you can keep going back and find something new you missed the previous listen.

Due to technical difficulties with my Mac, my first listen of The Incident took place in my van on the way to work. Which doesn't suck. I have a kick ass stereo system in the ol' minivan.

My first impression is that this is probably the COOLEST thing I've heard in more than a decade. Better even than Fear of a Blank Planet. (Don't hurt me. It's just my opinion.) Quintessential Porcupine Tree, but at the same time the most ambitious thing I've heard from them. I only made it as far as getting through the title track, so I have a lot left to hear. So far, I am blown away, just like I was hoping I would be. This will probably end up being my favorite Porcupine Tree CD.

I'm really pissed now that they won't be coming to Dallas any time soon. I mean, they can make it to freaking INDIA, but not Dallas?????? WTF guys? Seriously.

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 14 2009, 02:37 PM)

They are...both. Just got back myself.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 15 2009, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 14 2009, 02:37 PM)

They are...both. Just got back myself.

I must of just missed you! I just got back in from best buy too.

New PT!!!

Its a very good day indeed!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 15 2009, 09:37 AM)
(Don't hate me...)

Fixed wink.gif

I'm getting this after class today down at Best Buy. Statistics, you've never seemed more boring in your entire existence! And that's actually saying something, given the normal level of boring of this lecture.

Gahhhhhh, I'ma explode from excitement. And $10 at Best Buy! Hella bitchin!

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 15 2009, 08:23 AM)

I want MORE!

Not to be a bug about this, but even though I agree with the bulk of what you said, I don't consider the musicianship (except for GH of course) to be anything exceptional. They are very good, but I expect that from a band that writes Prog. They certainly are not a collective of virtuosos. But they write outstanding music and like you say, real music. They are a band like Rush in the sense that you can keep going back and find something new you missed the previous listen.

Geddy and Neil are considered upper echelon players, but I wouldn't consider Alex a virtuoso, though he's very well respected. He's prone to making the occasional mistake, but his emotional soloing and unique rhythm playing make him very special.

With PT, Richard will never be confused with Rick Wakeman, but he's a genius at creating soundscapes. Colin is an excellent bassist and has an awesome bass tone, but isn't as flashy as guys like Squire and Geddy. Steven isn't a great singer and isn't a flashy guitar player (though he's certainly more than capable at both), but he's an amazing songwriter and conveys his ideas with grit and emotion. And of course, Gavin is a monster.

You're right -- aside from Gavin, the other guys are not what most would consider virtuosos. But together, they are a machine. They are ridiculously tight, and are able to replicate their complicated songs live, and on most songs sound better than the record. When I talk about PT having great musicianship, that's what I'm referring to.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 15 2009, 05:58 PM)
Just got back from Best Buy!!!!!!!

About to crank this up! I've got a nice pair of noise canceling headphones...about to listen to this!

That's what I did, head-phones, lyrics, and 55 minutes of doing nothing else but listening to it.

I was blown away