Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 3 2009, 09:29 AM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 2 2009, 03:25 PM)
Another PT random thought...The Arriving Somewhere DVD never even made it into the stores here, albums arent too bad (US imports), but that's gonna have to be a mail order mish.  Drag.

Do you have to deal with any region locks with PT releases? I would think most of their stuff would be region free?

No problem there. Fortunately we got mulitzoned way back. The only drag is the Playstation and the PCs, they're still in local.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 2 2009, 05:49 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 2 2009, 06:41 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 2 2009, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 2 2009, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 2 2009, 01:10 PM)
Such a burst of PT newbies. Fabulous!

Dontcha just love having a new band??

I'm excited! It's the first band that I've gotten interested in without it being a band that my husband liked first. laugh.gif

They're an incredible band. You're going to have a blast!

I must make a correction. My husband is not responsible for my love of Kansas. That credit goes to the Honorable 1001. biggrin.gif

This wonderful forum is responsible for getting me into DT, King's X, & PT.

Thanks to the forum 've also dipped into the murky waters of Kansas & Styx. Wow, those relationships went sour quickly.

The Kansas thing might be revisited some day, but Styx are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Lots of people group Kansas and Styx together, but that too is wrong, wrong, wrong. Even early Styx, before DeYoung turned them into a love song band, couldn't hold a candle to the original Kansas. I don't want to turn this into a Kansas thread, so I'll refer you to this post in the other thread:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...dpost&p=1739866

Styx simply were never in that same category.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 2 2009, 09:58 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 3 2009, 09:49 AM)
The Kansas thing might be revisited some day, but Styx are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

I've tried!!! And some of their stuff isn't terrible. But the Dennis DeYoung songs make me want to itch myself til I bleed. A lachrymose wankfest.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 3 2009, 09:31 AM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 2 2009, 04:25 PM)
Another PT random thought...The Arriving Somewhere DVD never even made it into the stores here, albums arent too bad (US imports), but that's gonna have to be a mail order mish.  Drag.

Bummer dude.

I have a bootleg DVD of the Rockpalast broadcast which is freaking incredible, but I can't play it on my DVD player because it's not coded right, or whatever. The DVD is from a friend in Germany. My ex got custody of the machine that will play DVD's from anywhere. sad.gif

Damn!! That is tough sad.gif

We dont have the zone issue here thankfully, just the supply situation...all in good time though. Would be nice to finally hook that amazing performance up to the HiFi and 42, there's only so much of youtube one can handle banghead.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 2 2009, 05:58 PM)

Styx has one redeeming quality... Tommy Shaw.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 2 2009, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 2 2009, 04:27 PM)
For the newbies...

Alex's guest appearance is on the album "Fear of a Blank Planet" the song "Anesthetise" (the long one) from 4:04 to 4:57...

just though you might like to know... FOABP is a great album as well.

The first thing I did last night when I popped in my new copy of FOABP was go to "Anesthetise" to hear Alex's solo. Credit him for adjusting his style to fit the song, yet retaining just enough of his sound to sound like "him." Real cool solo.

This old news but I thought that Alex's solo on "Anesthesize" was better than any solo he performed on "Snakes & Arrrows." JMO

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 3 2009, 12:46 AM)
For the newbies...

Alex's guest appearance is on the album "Fear of a Blank Planet" the song "Anesthetise" (the long one) from 4:04 to 4:57...

The first thing I did last night when I popped in my new copy of FOABP was go to "Anesthetise" to hear Alex's solo. Credit him for adjusting his style to fit the song, yet retaining just enough of his sound to sound like "him." Real cool solo.

This old news but I thought that Alex's solo on "Anesthesize" was better than any solo he performed on "Snakes & Arrrows." JMO

The solo in "Faithless" is quite good. Tough to compare his "Anesthetise" with any of his Rush solos simply because he was playing to music that was pretty un-Rush-like. IMO.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 2 2009, 09:58 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 3 2009, 12:46 AM)
For the newbies...

The solo in "Faithless" is quite good. Tough to compare his "Anesthetise" with any of his Rush solos simply because he was playing to music that was pretty un-Rush-like. IMO.

That's actually a very good example. The solo in "Faithless" is excellent.

I think what really turned me on with his solo in "Anesthesize" was not just the length of the solo but I love that part when he's going off and then there is that slight pause, and then he keeps going and going and going. It' a beautiful solo. It moves you. Sort of like Alex's guitar work on "Ghost Of A Chance." It gets me every time.

I know that Rush likes to do the five minute + song thing these days but I am always hoping for longer solos by Alex within each new Rush release. I'm still hoping.

For instance on "Far Cry."

There is that section that would have been perfect for a killer guitar solo but instead it's simply bland and atmospheric. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 3 2009, 12:35 AM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 2 2009, 05:58 PM)

Styx has one redeeming quality... Tommy Shaw.

Agreed. Great song writer and guitarist.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 06:33 PM)
Anyone else have a decent surround system, and listen to the Arriving Somewhere DVD in 4 channel DTS? I just had a blast (literally) listening to Steven's guitar travel around the room on "Hatesong." biggrin.gif

Oh yeah!

I've got it going on too!

Not at the moment but it's awesome when it goes around the room!

Do you have "In Absentia" on DTS Digital Audio Disc?

KILLER SHIT! 1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 3 2009, 09:48 PM)
I should also add that the DTS version of "In Absentia" has three bonus tracks:

Drown With Me
Choloform
Futile

"Futile" is killer. Haven't heard the others yet as I'm a new PT recruit, but I will. I don't think I can play DVD-A on my gear, though.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 09:19 PM)
I should also add that the DTS  version of "In Absentia" has three bonus tracks:

Drown With Me
Choloform
Futile

"Futile" is killer. Haven't heard the others yet as I'm a new PT recruit, but I will. I don't think I can play DVD-A on my gear, though.

I can't play DVD-A either, and I have the bonus disk of Stupid Dream with the full 14-minute version of Even Less and the 5.1 mix of Ambulance Chasing being held captive on it. It pisses me off that I can't play it. angry.gif

What exactly does one need to be able to play a DVD-A?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 3 2009, 10:00 PM)
must be patient

must be patinet

must be patinet.

I hear ya man.

Any other band other than Rush or Tool I'd already have it DLed but I'm going to hang in there for PT.

Like I said I haven't been this pumped for a new album since S&A and the year before 10000 Days

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 07:19 PM)
I should also add that the DTS  version of "In Absentia" has three bonus tracks:

Drown With Me
Choloform
Futile

That's too bad about not being able to play DVD-A.

There must be some other way to get those tracks.

Part of me wishes that I was still a PT recruit.

I can already tell that you are becoming addicted just like me about three years ago.

No band on the earth will ever top RUSH, but I will tell you that PT has been my second favorite band for a few years now.

Happy Listening!

Not sure if I told you this yet, but I want to have "Stars Die" played at my funeral.

Probably my favorite PT song on this Beautiful Blank Planet of ours. wink.gif

Earl