Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

I'm barely to be considered a noobie to this band, as I've really only heard two songs - Dark Matter and The Sound of Muzak. However, these two songs alone have convinced me that I have found my modern day Pink Floyd. I spent most of my beach vacation with these two songs playing continuously in my ear buds at full volume with the waves at my feet.

I'm back from my vacation and have placed a hold with my local library for Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, and Fear Of A Blank Planet (the only three of their catalog in the library system). Honestly, I can't wait to get my hands on them.

trink39.gif

edited to correct spelling. Oops.

Edited by Pags

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 31 2009, 10:31 AM)
I'm barely to be considered a noobie to this band, as I've really only heard two songs - Dark Matter and The Sound of Muzak.  However, these two songs alone have convinced me that I have found my modern day Pink Floyd.  I spent most of my beach vacation with these two songs playing continuously in my ear buds at full volume with the waves at my feet.

I'm back from my vacation and have placed a hold with my local library for Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, and Fear Of A Blank Planet (the only three of their catalog in the libary system).  Honestly, I can't wait to get my hands on them.

trink39.gif

I give it a month before you're clamoring to buy up everything they ever recorded. yes.gif

THAT'S how annoyingly addictive this band is. Welcome to the group Pags. trink39.gif

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 31 2009, 11:31 AM)
I'm barely to be considered a noobie to this band, as I've really only heard two songs - Dark Matter and The Sound of Muzak.  However, these two songs alone have convinced me that I have found my modern day Pink Floyd.  I spent most of my beach vacation with these two songs playing continuously in my ear buds at full volume with the waves at my feet.

I'm back from my vacation and have placed a hold with my local library for Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, and Fear Of A Blank Planet (the only three of their catalog in the library system).  Honestly, I can't wait to get my hands on them.

trink39.gif

I'm about to join the club as well. Found a bunch of Gavin Harrison vids on YouTube. For a busy drummer he's very musical. The man is insane.

Futile

The Sound Of Muzak

Anesthetize

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 31 2009, 01:57 PM)

I'm back from my vacation and have placed a hold with my local library for Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, and Fear Of A Blank Planet (the only three of their catalog in the library system).  Honestly, I can't wait to get my hands on them.

trink39.gif

I'm about to join the club as well. Found a bunch of Gavin Harrison vids on YouTube. For a busy drummer he's very musical. The man is insane.

Futile

The Sound Of Muzak

Anesthetize

Cool!!!! 1022.gif

Futile is a wicked song.

Harrison is amazing. I seriously encourage those who are just getting into PT to rent, buy, steal... whatever, the DVD "Arriving Somewhere..." You will be blown away by this band, Harrison in particular. "Hatesong," especially wacko.gif . Incredible.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 31 2009, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 31 2009, 01:57 PM)

trink39.gif

Futile

The Sound Of Muzak

Anesthetize

Cool!!!! 1022.gif

Futile is a wicked song.

Harrison is amazing. I seriously encourage those who are just getting into PT to rent, buy, steal... whatever, the DVD "Arriving Somewhere..." You will be blown away by this band, Harrison in particular. "Hatesong," especially wacko.gif . Incredible.

Yep, Harrison is a genius. The "Arriving Somewhere" DVD really is fantastic....It's what got me into Porcupine Tree. Definitely one of the best concert DVD's I have ever seen!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 31 2009, 03:35 PM)
I am being tempted.........

*do it... do it... do it...*

That's my subliminal message for the day. laugh.gif

Think hot, talented drummer. yes.gif You'll forget that Neil whatshisface in no time. tongue.gif

You know what? I really need to be on the Porcupine Tree payroll.

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 31 2009, 03:39 PM)

Think hot, talented drummer. yes.gif You'll forget that Neil whatshisface in no time. tongue.gif

Oh, well, replacement isn't possible.

Supplementation? Always! tongue.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 31 2009, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 31 2009, 03:39 PM)

Oh, well, replacement isn't possible.

Supplementation? Always! tongue.gif

There ya' go! A spare, so to speak. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 31 2009, 02:57 PM)

trink39.gif

Futile

The Sound Of Muzak

Anesthetize

I'm loving these links, man. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

This guy is incredible!

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 31 2009, 05:04 PM)

trink39.gif

Futile

The Sound Of Muzak

Anesthetize

This guy is incredible!

And to think he grew up listening to jazz. Prog wasn't even on his radar until he joined PT. The guy is versatile as hell.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 31 2009, 04:44 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 31 2009, 02:23 PM)
To Porcupine Tree noobs, welcome...

trink38.gif

Yes........ We meet every week.... I am not sure where.... It's Somewhere, but not here!

653.gif

laugh.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 31 2009, 10:31 AM)
I'm back from my vacation and have placed a hold with my local library for Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, and Fear Of A Blank Planet (the only three of their catalog in the library system). Honestly, I can't wait to get my hands on them.

trink39.gif

edited to correct spelling. Oops.

you must have a kick ass library!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 31 2009, 09:56 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 31 2009, 08:54 AM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 30 2009, 10:08 PM)
So anyway, what did you guys think of Steve's arrangement of "Death of Samantha"? biggrin.gif

???? What?

BTW...there is an obscure PT song called Meantime out there on the Net. It sounds nothing like PT.

laugh.gif I was waiting for someone else to ask that. What???? laugh.gif

I've seen Meantime on the website, but haven't listened.

Have you had a chance to listen to the samples of NSRGTS RMXS?

Yes...it didn't conect with me. sad.gif

I had high hopes too.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 31 2009, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 31 2009, 05:04 PM)

trink39.gif

Futile

The Sound Of Muzak

Anesthetize

This guy is incredible!

And to think he grew up listening to jazz. Prog wasn't even on his radar until he joined PT. The guy is versatile as hell.

yes.gif

One of the most interesting drummers out there today. His jazz stylings are what does it too.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 1 2009, 01:56 AM)
So anyway, what did you guys think of Steve's arrangement of "Death of Samantha"? biggrin.gif

???? What?

BTW...there is an obscure PT song called Meantime out there on the Net. It sounds nothing like PT.

Sorry, you lost me on that one. The Yoko project, no? unsure.gif Anyways, it wasn't THAT bad really, considering her *ahem* history biggrin.gif

Sue, I had a chance to nab NSRGNTS RMXS, signed as well but....ummmmmmm no laugh.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 31 2009, 10:55 PM)

???? What?

Sorry, you lost me on that one. The Yoko project, no? unsure.gif Anyways, it wasn't THAT bad really, considering her *ahem* history biggrin.gif

Sue, I had a chance to nab NSRGNTS RMXS, signed as well but....ummmmmmm no laugh.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Of-Samantha/dp/B000TE0OKI

What the....????!!!! huh.gif

I own the album, "Stupid Dream" and I like it a lot. It this considered a good PT album ? Its the only one I know.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 1 2009, 02:28 PM)
I own the album, "Stupid Dream" and I like it a lot. It this considered a good PT album ? Its the only one I know.

Stupid Dream is a great album, but came right before their change into more Prog Metal. Knowing your musical tastes, tick, you would really like In Absentia and later.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 1 2009, 01:28 PM)

Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are two very similar albums..... both are very good... but they were not like the atmospheric spacy/experimental sounding like the 4 album that preceeded these two, nor were they as heavy as the 3 albums that came after these 2 releases..

But both these album were very good....

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 2 2009, 01:36 AM)

???? What?

unsure.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 1 2009, 03:09 PM)

???? What?

unsure.gif

That's kind of weird. Dont' you think that's kind of weird? laugh.gif

I would never in a million years imagine an association of the two. I won't say too much about it, as I have a certain amount of respect for Yoko Ono. But, um... some "sounds" should not be recorded. Ever. That is all I have to say.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 1 2009, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 1 2009, 03:09 PM)

???? What?

unsure.gif

That's kind of weird. Dont' you think that's kind of weird? laugh.gif

I would never in a million years imagine an association of the two. I won't say too much about it, as I have a certain amount of respect for Yoko Ono. But, um... some "sounds" should not be recorded. Ever. That is all I have to say.

Yoko Ono's voice.....if your dog was making those noises, you'd take it out back and shoot it.