Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (tintedweed @ Sep 2 2009, 11:11 AM)
PT really got me listening prog music again and in a different way. I consider them modern prog...at least after In-Absentia.. The period before is bit pshychedelic floydish...nice though.

I see them in 3 weeks live..can't wait. They have been my fav since 2001 (in-absentia came out)... luv them.

Also check out S.W. other projects - Blackfield, No-man, Opeth (another top band...).. S.W. has also been working on King Crimson remasters..Everything he does is gold!!..simple.

Yeah, I have a tendency to like mostly prog, but more contemporary or "Third Wave" bands. I appreciate bands like Yes and Genesis. But, I lean toward the more recent stuff. Still a huge Rush fan, though. Always will be.

I seriously need to check out No Man. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 2 2009, 12:36 PM)
And so it begins....

Last night I bought the Arriving Somewhere DVD and Fear Of A Blank Planet. Haven't listened/watched a lot yet (no time), but let's just say I'll be posting in this thread on a regular basis.  biggrin.gif

I bought the DVD at lunch - wanted to get "Deadwing" but FYE didn't have it.

I can't wait to get home and commandeer the DVD player! laugh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 2 2009, 01:38 PM)
And so it begins....

Last night I bought the Arriving Somewhere DVD and Fear Of A Blank Planet. Haven't listened/watched a lot yet (no time), but let's just say I'll be posting in this thread on a regular basis.  biggrin.gif

1287.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 2 2009, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 2 2009, 01:38 PM)
And so it begins....

1287.gif

Mwaaaaahaaaaahaaaaa.....

Good luck with trying to control the obsession. Porcupine Tree is the musical equivilant of heroin.

firedevil.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 2 2009, 01:10 PM)
Such a burst of PT newbies. Fabulous!

Dontcha just love having a new band??

I'm excited! It's the first band that I've gotten interested in without it being a band that my husband liked first. laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 2 2009, 01:36 PM)
And so it begins....

If you listen to CDs much, I highly recommend making an audio version of this show. Also, there is an official audio release from this tour as Rockpalast.

http://www.porcupinetree.com/discography.d...cfm?albumid=113

It includes a song called Radioactive Toy that is awesome and not on the Arriving Somewhere DVD.

Here's to hoping you get the PT bug. trink39.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 2 2009, 06:20 PM)

I'm excited! It's the first band that I've gotten interested in without it being a band that my husband liked first. laugh.gif

They're an incredible band. You're going to have a blast!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 2 2009, 01:36 PM)

I must make a correction. My husband is not responsible for my love of Kansas. That credit goes to the Honorable 1001. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 2 2009, 02:41 PM)

I must make a correction. My husband is not responsible for my love of Kansas. That credit goes to the Honorable 1001. biggrin.gif

1022.gif

For the newbies...

Alex's guest appearance is on the album "Fear of a Blank Planet" the song "Anesthetise" (the long one) from 4:04 to 4:57...

just though you might like to know... FOABP is a great album as well.

Robert Fripp (KFC) is also featured on the song "Way out of Here" on the same album.

I'm also suprised that the album took this long to leak... I can wait 2 more weeks...

I was able to resist the Dream Theater leak that happend a full month before the release of that album... so I can easily wait for "The Incident"

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 2 2009, 04:27 PM)
For the newbies...

Alex's guest appearance is on the album "Fear of a Blank Planet" the song "Anesthetise" (the long one) from 4:04 to 4:57...

The first thing I did last night when I popped in my new copy of FOABP was go to "Anesthetise" to hear Alex's solo. Credit him for adjusting his style to fit the song, yet retaining just enough of his sound to sound like "him." Real cool solo.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 2 2009, 04:58 PM)
For the newbies...

The first thing I did last night when I popped in my new copy of FOABP was go to "Anesthetise" to hear Alex's solo. Credit him for adjusting his style to fit the song, yet retaining just enough of his sound to sound like "him." Real cool solo.

It is unmistakable Lifeson too. yes.gif

In fact, it almost sounds in part like another solo I can't place. Hmmmm...

For the newbies...

Robert Fripp (KFC) is also featured on the song "Way out of Here" on the same album.

I literally got my hands on FOABP within the hour. I also got Lightbulb Sun and In Absentia at the same time, and started with LS. So far it's accoossstically poifect.

I can't wait to check out FOABP. I hear it's much heavier, and I'm really looking forward to Alex's solo.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 2 2009, 03:25 PM)
Another PT random thought...The Arriving Somewhere DVD never even made it into the stores here, albums arent too bad (US imports), but that's gonna have to be a mail order mish. Drag.

Do you have to deal with any region locks with PT releases? I would think most of their stuff would be region free?

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 2 2009, 04:25 PM)
Another PT random thought...The Arriving Somewhere DVD never even made it into the stores here, albums arent too bad (US imports), but that's gonna have to be a mail order mish. Drag.

Bummer dude.

I have a bootleg DVD of the Rockpalast broadcast which is freaking incredible, but I can't play it on my DVD player because it's not coded right, or whatever. The DVD is from a friend in Germany. My ex got custody of the machine that will play DVD's from anywhere. sad.gif

I am loving how Roadrunner records promotes their artists... Kind of like Mike Portnoy was interviewed for BC&SL and went through track by track the same has been done for "The Incident"

here is an interview with Steven Wilson going track by track of "The Incident

Part 1 (The Incident)

Part 2 (The Other Tracks: Flicker, Bonnie the Cat, Black Dahlia, Remember Me Lover)

I have not watched these yet........... be back in a while!

EDIT TO ADD: The interview is great.... this album is going to be epic!

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 2 2009, 06:41 PM)

This wonderful forum is responsible for getting me into DT, King's X, & PT.

Thanks to the forum 've also dipped into the murky waters of Kansas & Styx. Wow, those relationships went sour quickly.

The Kansas thing might be revisited some day, but Styx are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.