Intense movies that you liked...

Janie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 24 2008, 07:39 PM)
QUOTE (D'Artagnan @ Mar 24 2008, 07:34 PM)
Crossroads

Okay, now it's getting old, which I'm quite sure you're aware of. yes.gif

Dude, it started old! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Mar 24 2008, 06:28 PM)
Jacob's Ladder (not the song, lol)

Yeah, good one!

I can't believe I forgot to mention American History X. That "curbing" scene was just... ohmy.gif ...wow. One of the only few times I actually almost had to look away from the screen. ph34r.gif

Same goes for the fire extinguisher scene in Irreversible. That scene, I almost felt that I was watching a snuff film... unsure.gif

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Mar 26 2008, 01:13 AM)
I can't believe I forgot to mention American History X. That "curbing" scene was just... ohmy.gif ...wow. One of the only few times I actually almost had to look away from the screen. ph34r.gif

Yup. That curb scene AND the shower scene. Great movie though

QUOTE (D'Artagnan @ Mar 25 2008, 03:05 PM)
Home Alone 2

Just because the only movie that gets your rocks off involves slaves being forced to eat human defecation or else they are murdered doesn't mean you need to be a sarcastic arsehole in other people's threads.

no.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Mar 25 2008, 03:17 PM)
Home Alone 2

Just because the only movie that gets your rocks off involves slaves being forced to eat human defecation or else they are murdered doesn't mean you need to be a sarcastic arsehole in other people's threads.

no.gif

Yeah, what he said. Knock it off or I'll start deleting your posts.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 25 2008, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Mar 25 2008, 03:17 PM)
Home Alone 2

no.gif

Yeah, what he said. Knock it off or I'll start deleting your posts.

Yeah didn't really appreciate that D'Artagnan. I'm all for a sarcastic sense of humor (as stated in another thread) but there's a time and place for it, you know?

Anyway, thank you for coming to my aid gentlemen!

Let's get back to talking about those movies, ok?

Thought of another one to add:

The Usual Suspects

It has the same surprising twist at the end as The Sixth Sense. What worked well for both of those movies was that (I think) it was near impossible to guess that, that was how the movie was going to end.

Edited by Janie

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 25 2008, 08:17 PM)
The Usual Suspects

It has the same surprising twist at the end as The Sixth Sense. What worked well for both of those movies was that (I think) it was near impossible to guess that, that was how the movie was going to end.

Really?

I agre about The Usual Suspects, but I thought that The Sixth Sense was pretty telegraphed, indeed I guessed it almost right away.

I wish I hadn't because it partially ruined the experience for me.....

QUOTE (Fridge @ Mar 25 2008, 01:21 PM)
The Usual Suspects

Really?

I agre about The Usual Suspects, but I thought that The Sixth Sense was pretty telegraphed, indeed I guessed it almost right away.

I think fooling the viewer is an extremely difficult thing to pull off. Foreshadowing is hard to do well in the sense that you can't give enough of a clue away so as to ruin the movie. If the viewer discovers the plot, villain, motive, whatever... the movie is ruined. No suspense!

Thought of another movie:

Reservoir Dogs

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 25 2008, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Mar 25 2008, 01:21 PM)
The Usual Suspects

Really?

I think fooling the viewer is an extremely difficult thing to pull off. Foreshadowing is hard to do well in the sense that you can't give enough of a clue away so as to ruin the movie. If the viewer discovers the plot, villain, motive, whatever... the movie is ruined. No suspense!

Thought of another movie:

Reservoir Dogs

goodpost.gif

Back to movies. Has anyone mentioned the old dramas? One I really love is The Godfather.

Edited by Alex

QUOTE (Fridge @ Mar 25 2008, 04:21 PM)
The Usual Suspects

Really?

I figured that movie out from the trailer. yes.gif

I have never seen it because I know the plot. That, and it doesn't seem all that good either.

it's one of the few Bruce Willis movies I haven't seen. I'll probably catch it someday.