Bravest Face

ReflectedLight

I like this song...and it has a very retro flavor to it.... (sounds to me inspired by their Feedback tribute). BUT it's probably my least favorite on the album.

However, it's an incredibly strong album, so that's hardly a slam. As far as "worst song on a Rush album "goes, this is a fine one. It's no "Face Up" or "Hand Over Fist"....(meant as a compliment, by the way).

QUOTE (hope70 @ Mar 9 2008, 04:14 PM)
I was recently listening to Bravest Face and like the music and S & A, but do you think there's too much singing throughout this song?

i can't believe you just took a shot at neil peart wtf.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Mar 9 2008, 06:41 PM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ Mar 9 2008, 04:14 PM)
I was recently listening to Bravest Face and like the music and S & A, but do you think there's too much singing throughout this song?

i can't believe you just took a shot at neil peart wtf.gif

I'm not taking a shot at Neils lyrics, but do you agree or disagree with my question.

I think it is a weaker song on an above average album.

It's really hard for me to say "this is my least favorite" as the whole albums rocks. I love the lyrics in this song, so hearing them a couple times wont bother me. 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 9 2008, 06:35 PM)
I like this song...and it has a very retro flavor to it.... (sounds to me inspired by their Feedback tribute). BUT it's probably my least favorite on the album.

However, it's an incredibly strong album, so that's hardly a slam. As far as "worst song on a Rush album "goes, this is a fine one. It's no "Face Up" or "Hand Over Fist"....(meant as a compliment, by the way).

Of course it's no "Hand Over Fist"...that song kicks ass. Possibly their strongest effort.

yes.gif

The first time i heard the album -track by track and evaluated the songs -Far Cry remained at the top and Bravest face in the top 5..

I think there is little love for this song because it was not played on tour

Personaly I like it --and the way Geds sings it sorta errie especially the last few notes. -not to many Rush songs end that way.

BRAVEST FACE is definatly not the weakest on the album-----

On the Contrary cool.gif

Mal-Nar was basically thrown together on a 4 peice drum set and their producer asked Geddy to play those new rifs he was practising on the new bass that Andy Curran (RMO) (coney hatch) turned him on to.

Geddy was experimenting with cords in the Studio some of which formed Mal-Nar and their producer recorded him over hidden vocal mics without Geds knowing what he was doing and asked Ged to try something with those cords.

Neil who had packed up his kit already randomly started jamming with a 4 piece kit the studio had there and once they got the track down -Alex (who was not even there )put his guitar parts to it at his home.

It took 2 days to make that song confused13.gif

* Dont get me wrong Mal Nar I really like and is a good short burst instumental and fits the album ,

however ,was it that much better then TMMB to be offered a Grammy nomination??? -I dont think so -

-Mal-Nar to me is slightly weaker to earlier instumentals such as Leave that Thing alone,Wheres my Thing ,YYZ ,La Villa are way ahead of it and let me tell ya Im a huge Rush instumental fan

-Given the way it was all put together (although spontanuity is awesome when in the studio) and its length, and maybe overatedness of the whole grammy thing - Malnar may be the weakest link on S&A

or at least tied with THE GOOD NEWS FIRST

Bravest Face is one've those perfectly crafted songs that I've loved Rush for. It's perfect - a happy-go-lucky-yet-eerie verse and a slap-in-the-face-with-reality chorus. The lyrics match the music, everything fits, it's locked in place and it ain't rattlin!

And I don't know why Good News First is overlooked. Bizarre, slow-motion, and staticky, who knew those three things could combine to form an emotion? Too bad there's nothing to the guitar solo except a neat key progression. Good News First has got real action in it, ya dig?

MalNar is easily Rush's very worst instrumental - totally nothing special other than the rather lame back and forth bass/drums section... Hope and TMMB kicked Malnar's ass. Sounds like an ACDC instrumental to me, only without an identifiable, cool guitar part. I don't get it.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 9 2008, 09:49 PM)
Easily one of the worst on the album...........skip

trink39.gif

i don't think 2.gif would have put a song on their albums that is not worth to listen to it,

There must be something we haven't catch about BF...just my two cents cool.gif

QUOTE (witch hunt @ Mar 10 2008, 04:51 PM)
i don't think 2.gif would have put a song on their albums that is not worth to listen to it,
There must be something we haven't catch about BF...just my two cents cool.gif

Sorry to burst your little rose-tinted bubble my friend, but let me let you in on a little secret...

Just because THEY think it is good doesn't actually mean that it is.....

Does BF really have that many more lyrics than other Rush songs? I do think maybe the choruses would have more impact if they were shorter, with maybe one long chorus at the end.

Does anyone else hear a kind of Dave Matthews vibe in the verses of BF? There's something about the quirky acoustic guitar riff and Geddy's vocal phrasing that reminds me of a Dave Matthews song (in a good way).

BTW, what's with all the hate for MalNar? wtf.gif Sure, it's no La Villa but it's still a fun track and I'm glad they included it on S&A. And as far as "worst instrumental," MalNar puts Limbo's pathetic @ss to shame.

Archived