Roy Scheider, RIP

ReRushed

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 11 2008, 05:42 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2008, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 11 2008, 02:32 PM)
Rest in peace, Mr. Scheider. I'm sorry I bugged you on the plane back in 1985.

Did you really bug him on a plane? What happened?

I was on a plane back in '85, flying from Anchorage, AK. to Seattle, Wa. My flight had been cancelled so they had upgraded me to first class on the next one. I wound up sitting across the aisle from Roy Scheider. I kept glancing over and wondering if I should ask for an autograph. I must have looked over one too many times because he noticed that I was looking over and gave me a classic raised-eyebrows 'And just what do you want?' expression. I hesitated for a moment and then I blurted out: 'You were right, you needed a bigger boat.'. He smiled, shook his head, and went back to reading his paper. I left him alone for the rest of the flight.

Thats great!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2008, 04:55 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 11 2008, 04:42 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2008, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 11 2008, 02:32 PM)
Rest in peace, Mr. Scheider. I'm sorry I bugged you on the plane back in 1985.

Did you really bug him on a plane? What happened?

I was on a plane back in '85, flying from Anchorage, AK. to Seattle, Wa. My flight had been cancelled so they had upgraded me to first class on the next one. I wound up sitting across the aisle from Roy Scheider. I kept glancing over and wondering if I should ask for an autograph. I must have looked over one too many times because he noticed that I was looking over and gave me a classic raised-eyebrows 'And just what do you want?' expression. I hesitated for a moment and then I blurted out: 'You were right, you needed a bigger boat.'. He smiled, shook his head, and went back to reading his paper. I left him alone for the rest of the flight.

laugh.gif

I bet he was like, 'shit not this again, 10 years of "I think you need a bigger boat..."'

You should have asked for his autograph and said you loved his broadway career...

wink.gif

Classic story.

Also some great deadpan humor in him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

==================================================

Ellen: Martin hates the boats. Martin hates water, Martin, Martin sits in his

car when we go on the ferry to the mainland. I guess it's a childhood thing,

it's uh, there's a clinical name for it, isn't there?

Martin: Drowning. Listen, is it true that most people that get attacked by

sharks in three feet of water? About ten feet from the beach?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2008, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 11 2008, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 11 2008, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2008, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 11 2008, 02:31 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 11 2008, 12:28 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 11 2008, 09:07 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 11 2008, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Feb 11 2008, 08:59 AM)
Rest in peace Roy -

I really loved you in Naked Lunch, Tiger Town, 52 Pickup, The Marathon Man and Videodrome - not to mention  Jaws.

It's been awhile since I've seen Naked Lunch. Who was he in that movie? confused13.gif

Doctor Benway

BTW Goob you are the ONLY person from my generation thast I know that never seen Jaws ohmy.gif

Do yourself a favor and rent it...Still holds up after all these years as a classic thriller yes.gif

Yeah, Jaws always has just passed me by for some reason. Somehow I never could seem to get it up to go out of my way to see a movie about a shark, but I suppose I really should see it one of these days...

Please check it out, Gary. It's an absolute classic and you will love it! Though you may think twice about swimming in the ocean.

I think I just said that Jack, you put it nicely but I think you'll find i put it better and in a more original way too...

wink.gif

I'm sorry, buddy, I skipped right over your post. doh.gif No offense intended of course, and had I originally seen your post I'd have quoted it with a big "ditto"! yes.gif

Goob, don't listen to these guys. I say, go out RIGHT NOW and rent "Jaws." It is a classic that has aged very well. yes.gif

What you on about 73, we're recommending it!!

1287.gif

Alright, I finally got to see Jaws, and I gotta say, I was seriously underwhelmed. I'm finding it really hard to see what the big deal was. I can't conceive of why this movie made so much money and started a franchise.

Basically it's a bunch of really good actors in a movie about a man-eating shark.

Start with idiotic man who cares more about money than people getting eaten by sharks so people die. People try and fail to kill the shark. And then the last half of it is 3 men on a boat trying to kill the fake-looking shark, stretching credibility to the absolute limit (jumping the shark, if you will) as they harpoon it 3 times and shoot it and stab it, and still it lives. One of them gets eaten and two of them survive. The end.

Wow, what a stunning plot! eh.gif

I guess you had to be 10 when you first see this, because honestly I had to force myself to sit through the whole thing. schla03.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Feb 11 2008, 10:08 AM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Feb 11 2008, 09:05 AM)
I liked him. remember that T.V. series about the submarine that he was in?

Yep, it was called Seaquest DSV. I loved the first season. The second season was ok, but then he was replaced as captain by Michael Ironside in the third season and the series died.

I remember hearing his guest role as the Russian mobster on Third Watch was quite good.

Ahh, Seaquest DSV. Definitely one of the most underrated shows of the 90s imo. I remember many nights watching it before bed, definitely a sad little boy when it was ultimately canceled. sad.gif rose.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 21 2010, 01:13 AM)

Alright, I finally got to see Jaws, and I gotta say, I was seriously underwhelmed. I'm finding it really hard to see what the big deal was. I can't conceive of why this movie made so much money and started a franchise.

Basically it's a bunch of really good actors in a movie about a man-eating shark.

Start with idiotic man who cares more about money than people getting eaten by sharks so people die. People try and fail to kill the shark. And then the last half of it is 3 men on a boat trying to kill the fake-looking shark, stretching credibility to the absolute limit (jumping the shark, if you will) as they harpoon it 3 times and shoot it and stab it, and still it lives. One of them gets eaten and two of them survive. The end.

I guess you had to be 10 when you first see this, because honestly I had to force myself to sit through the whole thing. schla03.gif

You never saw JAWS before? That should be some kind of misdemeanor offense, at minimum...The movie was absolutely brilliant...Had all the elements that made Spielberg a monster film-maker...acting by Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider was mighty impressive as well.

Whaddaya gonna do next, slag Rocky, Superman, Raiders and Star Wars too? tongue.gif

Every ten years or so, I rewatch all these films...They're all part of my earliest chilldhood memories...just a very respectable time for classic Hollywood film-making.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 21 2010, 05:09 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 21 2010, 01:13 AM)

Alright, I finally got to see Jaws, and I gotta say, I was seriously underwhelmed.  I'm finding it really hard to see what the big deal was.  I can't conceive of why this movie made so much money and started a franchise.

Start with idiotic man who cares more about money than people getting eaten by sharks so people die.  People try and fail to kill the shark.  And then the last half of it is 3 men on a boat trying to kill the fake-looking shark, stretching credibility to the absolute limit (jumping the shark, if you will) as they harpoon it 3 times and shoot it and stab it, and still it lives.  One of them gets eaten and two of them survive.  The end.

Wow, what a stunning plot!  eh.gif

I guess you had to be 10 when you first see this, because honestly I had to force myself to sit through the whole thing.  schla03.gif

You never saw JAWS before? That should be some kind of misdemeanor offense, at minimum...The movie was absolutely brilliant...Had all the elements that made Spielberg a monster film-maker...acting by Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider was mighty impressive as well.

Whaddaya gonna do next, slag Rocky, Superman, Raiders and Star Wars too? tongue.gif

Every ten years or so, I rewatch all these films...They're all part of my earliest chilldhood memories...just a very respectable time for classic Hollywood film-making.

Yeah...Jaws was EPIC! I almost pissed myself when Dreyfuss pulled that tooth out of the hull of that sunk boat and that head came out! ohmy.gif

Robert Shaw was damn good too. I loved when he told his story about being on the USS Indianapolis. That was cinema magic there.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 21 2010, 02:13 AM)

Oh, Goob.... eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 22 2010, 07:12 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 21 2010, 02:13 AM)
Alright, I finally got to see Jaws, and I gotta say, I was seriously underwhelmed.  I'm finding it really hard to see what the big deal was.  I can't conceive of why this movie made so much money and started a franchise.

Start with idiotic man who cares more about money than people getting eaten by sharks so people die.  People try and fail to kill the shark.  And then the last half of it is 3 men on a boat trying to kill the fake-looking shark, stretching credibility to the absolute limit (jumping the shark, if you will) as they harpoon it 3 times and shoot it and stab it, and still it lives.  One of them gets eaten and two of them survive.  The end.

Wow, what a stunning plot!  eh.gif

I guess you had to be 10 when you first see this, because honestly I had to force myself to sit through the whole thing.  schla03.gif

Oh, Goob.... eyesre4.gif

laugh.gif

Sorry man, at least I gave it a shot! eh.gif

To each his own, but I liked this movie. I also like a lot of the humor surrounding it. When I was younger, the demise of Quint with that shark was SCARY!

Once in a while I will still find it funny, at some inappropriate time, to start singing, "Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies..."

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 22 2010, 09:15 PM)
To each his own, but I liked this movie. I also like a lot of the humor surrounding it. When I was younger, the demise of Quint with that shark was SCARY!

Once in a while I will still find it funny, at some inappropriate time, to start singing, "Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies..."

farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 23 2010, 03:28 PM)
didnt Roy Scheider die like 10 years ago?

About 2 1/2 years ago.

Sorry, I revived this thread (perhaps that was a poor choice of words) as this is where I initially mentioned I hadn't seen Jaws, and now that I have, I wanted to continue the conversation where it started... unsure.gif

Little known Jaws trivia for anyone who cares:

Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss absolutely despised each other behind the scenes. In particular, Shaw thought Dreyfuss was nowhere near the actor Shaw was and didn't put the time and effort he expected. This transalted very well to the characters because the characters had a lot of tension between them as well.

And, yeah, I would imagine this movie, along with Star Wars, E.T. and others probably wouldn't be considered as "epic" today to first timers seeing it, or even the younger generation. Technology has come a long way since Jaws and Star Wars...but to me, Jaws will always be a classic. It was one of a kind for it's time

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Aug 23 2010, 06:39 PM)
Little known Jaws trivia for anyone who cares:

Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss absolutely despised each other behind the scenes. In particular, Shaw thought Dreyfuss was nowhere near the actor Shaw was and didn't put the time and effort he expected. This transalted very well to the characters because the characters had a lot of tension between them as well.

And, yeah, I would imagine this movie, along with Star Wars, E.T. and others probably wouldn't be considered as "epic" today to first timers seeing it, or even the younger generation. Technology has come a long way since Jaws and Star Wars...but to me, Jaws will always be a classic. It was one of a kind for it's time

you been countin money all ye life hooper ;-)