PET PEEVES!

workingcinderellaman

Lately, one of my peeves is the overuse of the statement "that being said,...".

It's unnecessary to mention.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 14 2011, 01:59 PM)

and "Needless to say".

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 14 2011, 01:07 PM)

and "Needless to say".

I can't stand "it is what it is" OF COURSE IT IS!!!

or "due diligence" - people overuse that phrase WAY too much in my industry

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 14 2011, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 14 2011, 01:07 PM)

and "Needless to say".

I can't stand "it is what it is" OF COURSE IT IS!!!

or "due diligence" - people overuse that phrase WAY too much in my industry

I can't get away from "due diligence". It's actually a set of tasks for one client's project, and when it's completed we can bill for "due diligence".

One I can't stand is "ping". As in "I'll ping him again to see if they've made a decision." It sounds like you're going to shoot them with a dart gun or something. What's wrong with calling or e-mailing?

A TRF peeve: folks who start a thread, and only post a link and nothing else. Can you post the first paragraph or.. something else with it to better identity your thread's purpose? It almost feels like I have to work to see if it will be of interest to me. Unless the thread topic line is crystal clear, I usually put as much effort checking it out as you did making the thread- none.

Yeah, i'm cranky this morning smile.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 27 2011, 10:00 AM)
A TRF peeve: folks who start a thread, and only post a link and nothing else. Can you post the first paragraph or.. something else with it to better identity your thread's purpose? It almost feels like I have to work to see if it will be of interest to me. Unless the thread topic line is crystal clear, I usually put as much effort checking it out as you did making the thread- none.

Yeah, i'm cranky this morning  smile.gif

Think barney rebel and cygnus will check in here? laugh.gif

Sometimes I click them, sometimes not. I will say that barney's good about making the thread title clear. That way I know if it's of interest to me.

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 27 2011, 09:00 AM)

Yeah, i'm cranky this morning smile.gif

Oh. My. Gosh.

THIS.

Holy cow I find it irritating when I open up a thread and there's just this little url sitting there. Usually I hit the back button and find a different thread because I don't feel like going off-site when I'm on TRF unless it's something that might interest me. Why? Because sometimes it's something really dumb and I've just wasted about five minutes. |:

That and I have an odd aversion to urls. I prefer hyperlinks because they look a lot cleaner than a url.

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 27 2011, 06:07 PM)
People that dress like gangsters. Sagging pants, backwards/tilted hat, wife-beater undershirt. Bitch!!! You live in the middle of the suburbs! Dress like it!

ohmy.gif I HATE THAT SO MUCH rage.gif angry.gif waffen093.gif

No one can keep a f***ing SECRET!!! rage.gif rage.gif rage.gif

That's IT! I'm not telling anyone ANYTHING anymore!!! Jesus H. Christ!! What part of "It's a surprise...." do you NOT understand???!!!

banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 27 2011, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 27 2011, 06:07 PM)
People that dress like gangsters. Sagging pants, backwards/tilted hat, wife-beater undershirt. Bitch!!! You live in the middle of the suburbs! Dress like it!

ohmy.gif I HATE THAT SO MUCH rage.gif angry.gif waffen093.gif

yes.gif Ditto that .. I got a place to drop them off at.. wink.gif

Southeast LA.. ohmy.gif or may be

Albuquerque NM on the South side. unsure.gif

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 27 2011, 05:07 PM)

I've never understood that, either. There are a few classmates at my school who dress like that. Whenever I see that, I think, "Dude, seriously, pull your pants up! That or use a belt!" facepalm.gif

My pet peeve is that car that is the second one behind you on the ramp to the freeway, who sneaks out from behind you when it's your turn to merge, leaving you with no where to go, so you have to brake and swerve into the emergency lane.

There are so many people here who do that! I was on the freeway Wednesday and it happened at every on ramp( I had to switch to several different areas on the freeway). I was not going slowly either, I was right at freeway speed when I got to the end, and had to brake to avoid an accident.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jul 29 2011, 12:49 PM)
My pet peeve is that car that is the second one behind you on the ramp to the freeway, who sneaks out from behind you when it's your turn to merge,
leaving you with no where to go, so you have to brake and swerve into the emergency lane

Hope that wasn't ME !!! bekloppt.gif

My theory & experiance is if you had merged they Could not have "sneaked" around you, so try that,

Merge quikly & Block the sneaker ! 1287.gif

653.gif

oh- BTW- I hate dirty windows ecspecially windshields.

QUOTE (GotRush @ Jul 29 2011, 05:38 PM)
My pet peeve is that car that is the second one behind you on the ramp to the freeway, who sneaks out from behind you when it's your turn to merge,
leaving you with no where to go, so you have to brake and swerve into the emergency lane

My theory & experiance is if you had merged they Could not have "sneaked" around you, so try that,

653.gif

You don't get it. I'm right at the dotted line, they are back by the solid line. I'm the one with the right of way and they aren't obeying the traffic laws in this state. The only open slot is up by me, and when they zoom in and take it, I have to swerve to avoid an accident.

and refer to the manners thread for why your attitude isn't o.k.

Edited by nettiesaur

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jul 29 2011, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 6 2011, 08:52 AM)
I hate when people wear speedos under their regular swimsuit at the pool. rage.gif

You secretly like that wink.gif

Why? It just makes them look stupid! Use a drawstring like everyone else. angry.gif

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jul 29 2011, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (GotRush @ Jul 29 2011, 05:38 PM)

653.gif

You don't get it. I'm right at the dotted line, they are back by the solid line. I'm the one with the right of way and they aren't obeying the traffic laws in this state. The only open slot is up by me, and when they zoom in and take it, I have to swerve to avoid an accident.

We've got some serious "sneakers" who try to fly past the double lane of cars who've been waiting patiently in the turn lanes. They don't want to wait through another light change, so they just fly past 15 cars and cut in at the last minute.

Go ahead. Try it with me - my front bumper is practically glued to the rear of the car just in front of me. I'm not yielding to your rude ass, and I kind of need a new car. I'd love for your insurance company to buy me one.

Expanding on nettie and Mara's peeves about drivers....

We have a spot on the main highway/freeway near my house -- the only way I can go to get into the city -- where a 4 lane narrows down into a 2 lane. There are signs at 2 miles, 1 mile, a 1/2 mile and 1/4 mile before this merge, allowing plenty of time for drivers to see a sign and merge safely. But there are always these jerks who think that they are better than everyone else who speed right up to the merge spot and try to get over. I'm with Mara - I am glued to the car in front of me and you are NOT getting in here, buddy! angry.gif

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jul 29 2011, 07:01 PM)

Yea, overly aggressive law breaking drivers suck !

But like mara & howitis pointed out, blocking these people is the way to go,

even though those particular people aren't actually breaking the law, just being idiotic. fing.gif

Granted your situation with the solid line is different, but I still say block !

If this was happening to me regularly, I would be watching for the first signs of the sneaker & presneak/block them. 1287.gif

( once in front of said sneaker you can slow if needed as not to jam the person in front of you from getting in )

No attitude here unsure.gif , just light hearted conversation with a splash of opinion,

Please, my apology's if I was abrasive in any way oops.gif

Another growing driving pet peeve I have = People Not using their turn signals !!! angry.gif

biggrin.gif

I really dislike people getting other people's objects and offering to everyone as if it was theirs, just to promove fights and discussion. That's unnecessary.

I also dislike when people get things without my permission. (There's 80% chance to "yes", but please, ask me first, I'd like to know when one needs something that belongs me...)

Edited by rhyv