2112 - ATWAS

limeloaf

I think Geddy has gotten better and better as a singer over the years. Shrieking is all well and good but the kind of soul and emotion he learnt to bring to his vocals once he got past the shrieking is something really special.

QUOTE (bringer of balance @ Nov 10 2007, 05:16 PM)
no.gif , don't like it at all!!! that's why I can listen to early rush to much anymore...
he became a very good singer sinds, let's say permant waves...

2.gif

I have the exact opposite opinion. I think Geddy's voice was at its peak around Hemispheres, and degenerated from then on. The first couple albums aren't so great, but by AFTK/Hemi, his voice was just amazing...and it worked perfectly as a companion to the the bombastic, somewhat bass-heavy music they played in those years.

Honestly, when I listen to Hemispheres, it's obvious to me why Geddy's the lead singer...but later on, I wonder why he still has that role. If they had another singer in the group, I could imaging Geddy singing only part-time.

QUOTE (spitball @ Nov 10 2007, 07:08 PM)
I have the exact opposite opinion. I think Geddy's voice was at its peak around Hemispheres, and degenerated from then on. The first couple albums aren't so great, but by AFTK/Hemi, his voice was just amazing...and it worked perfectly as a companion to the the bombastic, somewhat bass-heavy music they played in those years.

QFT! trink39.gif

I agree 110% - Geddy's vocal prowress peaked by the end of the Hemispheres Tour, and his vocal range / dexterity started to change after that... just listen to his voice on the Hemi bootleg "Black Forest" - simply amazing!

The changes in his voice are evident as early as Permanent Wave... guess you could say that it "matured" - I'm not saying that it is bad... I just wish he could still break into Anthem and hit all the high notes! I think he has some of it still in him, but he "thinks" he can no longer hit them... point in case, taking Circumstances down a whole step.

What's amazing, is that Steven Tyler can still rip out the high notes after all these years.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Nov 10 2007, 06:03 PM)
Geddy's voice has become so much richer as he's got older. It has so much more texture to it. I think him singing the higher notes in his current voice is better than in the voice he would have way back when.

However, it is cool to hear the shrieking on 2112. It makes that particular version of the song so raw.

goodpost.gif

I LOVE his shrieking on that album. The live version of Anthem renders the studio version completely obsolete.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Nov 27 2007, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (LerxstFerret @ Nov 28 2007, 12:50 AM)
My favorite vocal performance is the line in Freewill "Each of us a cell of awareness, imperfect, and incomplete.

I was completely astonished and speechless when he sang those lines absolutely perfectly at Manchester this year.

Yeah it was quite incredible! Aparently "Freewill" is the highest he goes now.

A few people were saying that Geddy can't sing some songs because he can't sing that high shriek anymore. He can pull off any song in there catalog. The choice of songs with lower registers lately doesn't mean he can't nail anything of 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Nov 29 2007, 10:11 PM)
A few people were saying that Geddy can't sing some songs because he can't sing that high shriek anymore. He can pull off any song in there catalog. The choice of songs with lower registers lately doesn't mean he can't nail anything of 2.gif  1022.gif

Where do you get this idea?!? He couldn't hit many of the high notes anymore by 1981-82. His voice has changed drastically. I have seen Rush in recent years (VT and R30 tours) and I own the Rio DVD. Geddy is unable to sing the way he once did. Why is this so hard to admit? It's on par with a good percentage of rock singers.

I prefer Geddy's aged voice as well, but I still love the early stuff.

But if you compare...2112 ATWAS to.....2112 Diffrent Stages

Diffrent Stages is a clear winner (disregarding the fact that DS 2112 is complete)

To me it's like he has been 3 or maybe 4 different guys over the years. I don't think you can really compare those 4 guys.

I absolutely love that ATWAS 2112 start. That was great live!

I absolutely love the way he sounded from Farewell to Kings through Moving Pictures....especially Hemispheres.

I absolutely love the way he toned it down on Signals and beyond.

I absolutely love what he is doing now.

It really is amazing after all these years how has developed and adapted to grow with the band. Hale Geddy!! applaudit.gif

QUOTE (spitball @ Nov 29 2007, 10:27 PM)
QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Nov 29 2007, 10:11 PM)
A few people were saying that Geddy can't sing some songs because he can't sing that high shriek anymore. He can pull off any song in there catalog. The choice of songs with lower registers lately doesn't mean he can't nail anything of 2.gif  1022.gif

Where do you get this idea?!? He couldn't hit many of the high notes anymore by 1981-82. His voice has changed drastically. I have seen Rush in recent years (VT and R30 tours) and I own the Rio DVD. Geddy is unable to sing the way he once did. Why is this so hard to admit? It's on par with a good percentage of rock singers.

yes.gif

One listen to Circumstances from the last tour proves your point.

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Nov 29 2007, 11:50 PM)
To me it's like he has been 3 or maybe 4 different guys over the years. I don't think you can really compare those 4 guys.

I absolutely love that ATWAS 2112 start. That was great live!

I absolutely love the way he sounded from Farewell to Kings through Moving Pictures....especially Hemispheres.

I absolutely love the way he toned it down on Signals and beyond.

I absolutely love what he is doing now.

It really is amazing after all these years how has developed and adapted to grow with the band. Hale Geddy!! applaudit.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Nov 29 2007, 01:25 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Nov 27 2007, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (LerxstFerret @ Nov 28 2007, 12:50 AM)
My favorite vocal performance is the line in Freewill "Each of us a cell of awareness, imperfect, and incomplete.

I was completely astonished and speechless when he sang those lines absolutely perfectly at Manchester this year.

Yeah it was quite incredible! Aparently "Freewill" is the highest he goes now.

Wait Wait... I think it was decided that Geddy got the highest on Cygnus X-1

right? wink.gif 1287.gif

Archived