The Van Halen Thread

MakeHaste

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Mar 17 2012, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 15 2012, 05:20 PM)
Roth going off on some fans fighting in the crowd up in new Hampshire Tuesday night...at about 0:50 in..

http://www.andrewzmorningshow.com/2012/03/...s-for-fighting/

Awesome!! Good on Dave for sticking it to the fighters! yes.gif

I'm seeing VH tonight in Toronto.....PUMPED!! 1022.gif

Quick question to those who have seen them, how loud are they? Are they worthy of taking earplugs with me?

Yes.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 17 2012, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 17 2012, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Mar 17 2012, 08:40 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 16 2012, 05:39 PM)
I like Sammy Hagar, but I don't think he's as great as he thinks he is.

Agreed. I like his Montrose work, solo work, and his work with VH. I like him a lot less since I read his book. So arrogant.

Yeah, and Roth is a paragon of humility wink.gif

I know, you're not comparing the two, but what the hell.

The difference is in Roths swagger..he carries himself better...Hagar is like the hard rock version of Jimmy Buffet

laugh.gif

Wastin' away again in CaboWaboville

Looking for my lost shaker of salt

Some people claim that theres a Dave Roth to blame

But I know

Its my own damn fault.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 17 2012, 04:55 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 17 2012, 02:50 PM)

Agreed. I like his Montrose work, solo work, and his work with VH. I like him a lot less since I read his book. So arrogant.

The difference is in Roths swagger..he carries himself better...Hagar is like the hard rock version of Jimmy Buffet

laugh.gif

Wastin' away again in CaboWaboville

Looking for my lost shaker of salt

Some people claim that theres a Dave Roth to blame

But I know

Its my own damn fault.

laugh.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Hell of a show last night!! 1022.gif

Honestly, the band was ON FIRE. Eddie is playing the best he has in a very long time and looks HAPPY on stage again. Wolfgang may have a lot to do with that now, which is all good with me, and speaking of Wolfie he has really come a long way. He looks SO much more comfortable on stage, and his bass playing is truly top notch. He's a very talented young man. Alex is still a solid drummer, and I'll admit I was very impressed with the TONE of his bass drums, particularly during China Town and Hot For Teacher (double bass kick GALORE). While Dave doesn't run around and jump as much as he used to (age will do that to you), he is still a hell of a showman. Vocally, he's not quite the same but he still sounded VERY solid outside of a bit of straining near the end of the set.

The setlist was pretty much what's been reported here. Nothing new to report, although I was really hoping they would bust out Mean Street, it just wasn't to be though. Of the new songs live, I was most impressed with She's The Woman and China Town, especially the latter which was VERY heavy and it was great to see Wolfie keeping up with his dad with all the tapping in that song. Overall, the new stuff sounded great alongside the old classics and fit right in.

It was a very rocking crowd last night, and you could tell there were lots of diehard VH fans in the crowd. I distinctly remember Eddie playing the first few notes of Hear About It Later, which is not one of their bigger hits, and hearing the roar from the crowd. Lots of singing along too, at times the crowd was so loud singing Dave just stopped and let them do the work! laugh.gif In my section though, there were TONS of drunks more focused on their own issues than the show, pretty much with their backs turned to the stage and just talking up a storm. VERY distracting and I'm glad security eventually got rid of them.

All in all, a hell of a show. I would love to see these guys again. I considered myself a diehard VH fan, but seeing this show confirmed it. My uncle really enjoyed himself too, last time he saw the band was at Maple Leaf Gardens on the 1984 tour! Great night! yes.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 17 2012, 01:50 PM)

That's a perfect analogy...and I don't see it as an insult. Good, but not great song-writing or musicianship, but plenty of fun.

He wo do better to keep his mouth shut, though.

What do you think Dave's best vocal efforts are? I was listening to Dave's solo stuff, and I think strictly vocally speaking, his peak was Diver Down -> Skyscraper.

I love Skyscraper, and Eat 'Em and Smile is very close second.

I think his Best was the First. I was listening to it yesterday and was saying that to my wife . I also think he sounds very good on Eat em

I love Skyscraper. I love nearly everything about it, in fact, with Stand Up being the only thing I skip on a regular basis. Every now and then I put on my headphones - the good ones - and turn up the title track. The way they used both channels in the track was fantastic, lots of sweeps and pans.

Skyscraper was Great but you can tell Dave and the Label were going after the sound of Van Hager imo

No thanks to all you VH nuts around here I've been a major kick lately. Been listening to them constantly and I gotta say that VH II might be my favorite of theirs. I don't know what suddenly happened, but that album kicks my fuukin ass! never liked it as much as I do now. 1022.gif 1022.gif

http://www.vhnd.com/2012/03/20/a-different...-of-truth-poll/

Somewhat surprising poll results, over 6,000 votes counted (still accepting votes, if you're interested in contributing):

Stay Frosty 13.38% (851 votes)

She's The Woman 12.01% (764 votes)

Blood And Fire 10.99% (699 votes)

As Is 9.77% (621 votes)

You And Your Blues 9.34% (594 votes)

Outta Space 8.1% (515 votes)

Big River 8.1% (515 votes)

Honeybabysweetiedoll 7.27% (462 votes)

China Town 6.57% (418 votes)

Beats Workin' 4.2% (267 votes)

The Trouble With Never 3.74% (238 votes)

Tattoo 3.54% (225 votes)

Bullethead 2.99% (190 votes)

Total Votes: 6,359

How the hell does She's The Woman get all those votes ?

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 21 2012, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 21 2012, 08:52 AM)
How the hell does She's The Woman get all those votes ?

2 of the bottom 3 really surprise me.

5 out of the bottom 6 shock the hell out of me

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Mar 21 2012, 12:54 AM)
No thanks to all you VH nuts around here I've been a major kick lately. Been listening to them constantly and I gotta say that VH II might be my favorite of theirs. I don't know what suddenly happened, but that album kicks my fuukin ass! never liked it as much as I do now. 1022.gif 1022.gif

I've had the same feeling with W&CF lately. That album has *really* grown on me. Such a kick ass rock album. 1022.gif

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Mar 22 2012, 01:32 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Mar 21 2012, 12:54 AM)
No thanks to all you VH nuts around here I've been a major kick lately. Been listening to them constantly and I gotta say that VH II might be my favorite of theirs. I don't know what suddenly happened, but that album kicks my fuukin ass! never liked it as much as I do now. 1022.gif  1022.gif

I've had the same feeling with W&CF lately. That album has *really* grown on me. Such a kick ass rock album. 1022.gif

Another great album. Love the new avatar by the way. Jack Burton! trink39.gif

Can't wait for April 10th to see Halen!

Current Setlist:

Unchained

Runnin' With the Devil

She's The Woman

Romeo Delight

Tattoo

Everybody Wants Some!!

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

China Town

Hear About It Later

Oh, Pretty Woman

Drum Solo

You Really Got Me

The Trouble with Never

Dance The Night Away

I'll Wait

Hot For Teacher

Women In Love

Outta Love Again

Beautiful Girls

Ice Cream Man

Panama

Guitar Solo

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Encore:

Jump

Strong set list. However I would Change Out "Outta Love Again " for " So this is Love?" or " Girls Gone Bad!" or even a Newer track like" Stay Frosty" or Outt Space"!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 23 2012, 08:12 AM)
Can't wait for April 10th to see Halen!

Current Setlist:

Unchained
Runnin' With the Devil
She's The Woman
Romeo Delight
Tattoo
Everybody Wants Some!!
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
China Town
Hear About It Later
Oh, Pretty Woman
Drum Solo
You Really Got Me
The Trouble with Never
Dance The Night Away
I'll Wait
Hot For Teacher
Women In Love
Outta Love Again
Beautiful Girls
Ice Cream Man
Panama
Guitar Solo
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Encore:
Jump

Strong set list. However I would Change Out "Outta Love Again " for " So this is Love?" or " Girls Gone Bad!" or even a Newer track like" Stay Frosty" or Outt Space"!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Hell - leave Outta Love and get rid of You Really Got Me and Pretty Woman.