The Van Halen Thread

MakeHaste

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 5 2012, 09:44 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 5 2012, 06:55 AM)
So I posted a comment on John Shanks's website (good job, etc) and I get a Facebook request and a personal thanks for the nice words from the interviewer at Guitar World.  I mentioned that I'd written up a piece about the album and she wanted to read it.  Hey, you never know!  wink.gif  biggrin.gif

Nice , good luck . If you get a job there, send Sammy my love

I'll be sure to ask him what he thinks of the new Van Halen record. Ya know, just to change things up some. biggrin.gif

My daughter was watching Cupcake Wars last night and it was a competition for the musical Rock of Ages... Tommy Shaw was a judge.

In the second round, the host said "We need 3 cupcakes... one for every lead singer of Van Halen"

Made me look up from my iPod smile.gif

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Mar 28 2012, 08:07 AM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Mar 28 2012, 04:19 AM)
QUOTE (bigman208 @ Mar 27 2012, 12:06 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 27 2012, 08:42 AM)
I think they dropped the ball taking out Hear About It Later for Jamie's Crying

goodpost.gif Agreed with you there! I would have swapped out You Really Got Me for Jamie's Cryin' to be totally honest.

However, its great to hear them switching things up pretty frequently. Keeps the show fresh for everyone, and most of all makes us fans happy. Hopefully Light Up The Sky DOES make it to the setlist soon!!

Disappointed about Hear about it later, thats the song I want to see most....Going tonight in DC, hopefully it will be back in the setlist. Couldnt agree more about Light up the sky! No fan of Jamies Cryin thats for sure...

Have a great time. Be sure to give us your review.

trink39.gif

In sum: Eddie (especially), Wolf, and Alex all sound much better than they did on the 07 tour.

Roth sounded - and acted - worse. Yes I know he never had a good voice, but back in the day there was no cooler front man in rock. Now he has this whole vaudeville thing were he shimmy's around and IMHO is cheesy beyond words. Completely detracts from the show.

Ironically, (since its all about the old stuff), Dave is now the weak link. I want to add that I've loved Roth for years so no inherent prejudice here....

Still by virtue of EVH's stunning brilliance, I give the show a B+

Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Apr 10 2012, 11:26 AM)

goodpost.gif Agreed with you there! I would have swapped out You Really Got Me for Jamie's Cryin' to be totally honest.

However, its great to hear them switching things up pretty frequently. Keeps the show fresh for everyone, and most of all makes us fans happy. Hopefully Light Up The Sky DOES make it to the setlist soon!!

Disappointed about Hear about it later, thats the song I want to see most....Going tonight in DC, hopefully it will be back in the setlist. Couldnt agree more about Light up the sky! No fan of Jamies Cryin thats for sure...

trink39.gif

In sum: Eddie (especially), Wolf, and Alex all sound much better than they did on the 07 tour.

Roth sounded - and acted - worse. Yes I know he never had a good voice, but back in the day there was no cooler front man in rock. Now he has this whole vaudeville thing were he shimmy's around and IMHO is cheesy beyond words. Completely detracts from the show.

Ironically, (since its all about the old stuff), Dave is now the weak link. I want to add that I've loved Roth for years so no inherent prejudice here....

Yeah, pretty much echoed my review also.

Is Dave still doing the "yelling at the stagehands" bit??

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 10 2012, 12:24 PM)

trink39.gif

Yeah -- something about turning the fans off? Thats a bit??

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Apr 10 2012, 01:28 PM)

trink39.gif

Apparently so - sounds like that's the schtick he does... I don't get it - let the music stand on it's own - why force some BS drama?

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 10 2012, 01:24 PM)

trink39.gif

He didnt do that in Philly over a month ago. I thought Roth did a good job.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 10 2012, 03:27 PM)

trink39.gif

Apparently so - sounds like that's the schtick he does... I don't get it - let the music stand on it's own - why force some BS drama?

When was the last time he did that? It wasnt in the 3/5 show. He did tell those a-holes in NH to stop fighting though. laugh.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 11 2012, 06:39 PM)

trink39.gif

When was the last time he did that? It wasnt in the 3/5 show. He did tell those a-holes in NH to stop fighting though. laugh.gif

Looks like greg just saw the show recently.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 12 2012, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 11 2012, 06:39 PM)

trink39.gif

Looks like greg just saw the show recently.

I was confused by the string and when that happened..

Checked out their setlists for the last few shows, it looks like Hear About It Later is back in at the expense of Jamie's Cryin, at least for now. Also, The Trouble With Never has returned, and Blood And Fire is out.

QUOTE (fordgt99 @ Apr 15 2012, 06:34 PM)
I'm seeing the show Thursday. Hope there's no lame made up stage drama. If so then this show is already behind the last time I saw Van Halen (second leg of the f**k tour with Vince Neil opening).

That was Not Van Halen you saw on that tour, it was Van Hagar

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Apr 14 2012, 10:03 AM)
Checked out their setlists for the last few shows, it looks like Hear About It Later is back in at the expense of Jamie's Cryin, at least for now. Also, The Trouble With Never has returned, and Blood And Fire is out.

Damn. I saw them in that unlucky stretch where Hear was replaced by Jamie. Sucks for me. confused13.gif

Been in Van Halen mode the last few days. Its all I've been listening to. 1022.gif

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Apr 14 2012, 08:03 AM)

I hope Blood and Fire is back in by the time my show finally rolls around.

I LOVE that song.

1022.gif

Through seeing the show and listening to the new album, whcih I downright like a lot, I have rediscovered Diver Down. I skip the remakes, and just listen to the others. I often skip over DD, but lately have given it a listen, and really enjoying it.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 16 2012, 10:35 PM)
Through seeing the show and listening to the new album, whcih I downright like a lot, I have rediscovered Diver Down. I skip the remakes, and just listen to the others. I often skip over DD, but lately have given it a listen, and really enjoying it.

Diver Down was the last Roth era album I got and was pleasantly surprised by it the first time I gave it a spin!! I remember before buying it I heard a lot of people say it was the worst Roth era album but I quite enjoyed it. It has some great original material from them (Little Guitars, Hang Em High, and that monster of a little instrumental Intruder just to name a few), and the covers they did sounded not too bad. Where Have All The Good Times Gone is one of the best covers they ever did IMO and would love for them to play it on this tour. I enjoy their version of Pretty Woman but it's been done before, and on this tour it should not be in the set, UNLESS Intruder is before it. I think the two go together really well!!

Lately I have really gotten into Van Halen II. There is some really solid material on there for sure. Light Up The Sky and DOA are a few of my favourites, but I can't forget about Somebody Get Me A Doctor!! 1022.gif Classic!!

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Apr 16 2012, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (bigman208 @ Apr 14 2012, 08:03 AM)

I hope Blood and Fire is back in by the time my show finally rolls around.

I LOVE that song.

1022.gif

I like the fact that they are changing songs around, and are not afraid to move away from the original set list they started with.