The Van Halen Thread

MakeHaste

Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 21 2012, 01:59 PM)
DLR (III) is on borrowed time in the band. Believe it.

I don't think so but if that is the case, i got my album and tour laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 21 2012, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 21 2012, 01:59 PM)
DLR (III) is on borrowed time in the band. Believe it.

I don't think so but if that is the case, i got my album and tour laugh.gif

I think that's what everyone is thinking, which precipitated the "fighting" rumors. He's already made it longer than most people expected. Anything from here on out is gravy.

Saw VH in KC last Tuesday. Wasn't totally happy with the sound. Eddie's guitar was plenty loud and he played near flawlessly (way better than when I saw him in '07) but there was a definite big auditorium echo going on and Alex's drums were being lost in the guitar onslaught. Dave was...Ok. Aside from his intermittent rambling monologues between or during songs, he wasn't putting the effort into it like he was when I saw them almost 5 years ago. The setlist was cool with 22 songs, but walking out I realized there was no Mean Street or Romeo Delight--I thought those were standards for this tour. Oh well, they played The Full Bug and Women In Love, which was nice. Eddie I give an 'A', the overall show a 'B', and thats coming from a die hard, brainwashed fan. I'm glad I went, but it left something to be desired with the lack of a cohesive sound.

Next stop, July 22--Slipknot, Slayer, Motorhead and Anthrax.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ May 26 2012, 12:25 AM)
Saw VH in KC last Tuesday. Wasn't totally happy with the sound. Eddie's guitar was plenty loud and he played near flawlessly (way better than when I saw him in '07) but there was a definite big auditorium echo going on and Alex's drums were being lost in the guitar onslaught. Dave was...Ok. Aside from his intermittent rambling monologues between or during songs, he wasn't putting the effort into it like he was when I saw them almost 5 years ago. The setlist was cool with 22 songs, but walking out I realized there was no Mean Street or Romeo Delight--I thought those were standards for this tour. Oh well, they played The Full Bug and Women In Love, which was nice. Eddie I give an 'A', the overall show a 'B', and thats coming from a die hard, brainwashed fan. I'm glad I went, but it left something to be desired with the lack of a cohesive sound.

Mean Street should ALWAYS be played! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ May 26 2012, 01:57 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ May 26 2012, 12:25 AM)
Saw VH in KC last Tuesday.  Wasn't totally happy with the sound.  Eddie's guitar was plenty loud and he played near flawlessly (way better than when I saw him in '07) but there was a definite big auditorium echo going on and Alex's drums were being lost in the guitar onslaught. Dave was...Ok. Aside from his intermittent rambling monologues between or during songs, he wasn't putting the effort into it like he was when I saw them almost 5 years ago. The setlist was cool with 22 songs, but walking out I realized there was no Mean Street or Romeo Delight--I thought those were standards for this tour. Oh well, they played The Full Bug and Women In Love, which was nice. Eddie I give an 'A', the overall show a 'B', and thats coming from a die hard, brainwashed fan. I'm glad I went, but it left something to be desired with the lack of a cohesive sound.

Mean Street should ALWAYS be played! 1022.gif

I definitely agree with you there Mean Street SHOULD always be played!!! I was disappointed that they didn't play it when I saw them in Toronto as it's my favourite song of theirs. However, they actually only played it about 3-4 times maybe at the beginning of the tour and then it was dropped, never to be played again so far.

Also, in response to Romeo Delight being a set standard this tour, it actually is, but it swaps out with The Full Bug every other night. So it looks like you saw them when Romeo had an off night.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 27 2012, 10:05 PM)
Van Halen is playing here in Las Vegas, NV tonight!

Hey Drumnut! I have that RUSH truck in your SIG on my desk at work!!

I have two sealed as well!!

RUSH ON!

1022.gif

Van Halen is here on June 3. I might pass. I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars to watch a tired band go through the motions.

Damn I've totally changed my tune on this one incredible band.

Sad really.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 28 2012, 01:22 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 27 2012, 10:05 PM)
Van Halen is playing here in Las Vegas, NV tonight!

Hey Drumnut! I have that RUSH truck in your SIG on my desk at work!!

I have two sealed as well!!

RUSH ON!

1022.gif

Van Halen is here on June 3. I might pass. I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars to watch a tired band go through the motions.

Damn I've totally changed my tune on this one incredible band.

Sad really.

My God, HUNDREDS of dollars? WTF? I saw them for $40 bucks apiece!! Christ, I wouldn't pay HUNDREDS to see Jesus f***ing Christ get down off the cross and heal Joan Rivers face.

I saw them on the 24th. For the most part it was a good show. Dave either forgot the lyrics on a few songs or was just being Dave and doing his own thing. He did hit a few bad notes on several songs and spent a lot of time cleaning the floor around him so he could slide all over.

The venue sucks for sound and a lot of the show was muddy. It took a while for me to figure out what song they were playing.

Eddy's solo was killer and they all seemed to have a good rapport going.

I missed the end of Panama(last song) and all the confetti, etc. as two drunken boneheads near me started beating on each other and I had to jump out of the way so they didn't take me down!

If you are going to drink beer and get shit-faced, stay home and listen to a CD!

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ May 28 2012, 01:26 PM)

I saw them on the 24th. For the most part it was a good show. Dave either forgot the lyrics on a few songs or was just being Dave and doing his own thing. He did hit a few bad notes on several songs and spent a lot of time cleaning the floor around him so he could slide all over.

The venue sucks for sound and a lot of the show was muddy. It took a while for me to figure out what song they were playing.

I missed the end of Panama(last song) and all the confetti, etc. as two drunken boneheads near me started beating on each other and I had to jump out of the way so they didn't take me down!

If you are going to drink beer and get shit-faced, stay home and listen to a CD!

Man it's crazy at these VH shows. I got into a fight, a good friend of mine in Spokane nearly did....and you had a close call. I agree, stay home if you can't handle your cheap and overpriced beer.

I get having a buzz (didn't drink at all myself that night) and having a good time, but some people really just lose their shit and I can't fathom that, quite honestly. One guy was literally passed out drunk and puking in his sleep...and this was BEFORE the show even started.

Do the world a favor and tend to your alcoholism in private.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 28 2012, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ May 28 2012, 01:26 PM)

I saw them on the 24th. For the most part it was a good show.  Dave either forgot the lyrics on a few songs or was just being Dave and doing his own thing.  He did hit a few bad notes on several songs and spent a lot of time cleaning the floor around him so he could slide all over.

The venue sucks for sound and a lot of the show was muddy.  It took a while for me to figure out what song they were playing.

Man it's crazy at these VH shows. I got into a fight, a good friend of mine in Spokane nearly did....and you had a close call. I agree, stay home if you can't handle your cheap and overpriced beer.

I get having a buzz (didn't drink at all myself that night) and having a good time, but some people really just lose their shit and I can't fathom that, quite honestly. One guy was literally passed out drunk and puking in his sleep...and this was BEFORE the show even started.

Do the world a favor and tend to your alcoholism in private.

Yeah, I think you see it more at these classic rock type of shows...some of the rowdiest crowds I've seen we're at Steely Dan , Fleetwood Mac and Van Halen concerts..I think the older folks get excited trying to relive 1980, but they clearly can't handle the party like they used too biggrin.gif