pt2112

171 members have voted

1. 1. Snakes and Arrows vs Vapor Trails

• Snakes and Arrows
    • Vapor Trails

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for Vapor Trails. I love the aggression, I love the way it plows over you like a steam roller. I love how, after so much debate over whether they were splitting or not, it just tore my head off. I love it.

Snakes and Arrows is a little mellower but no less brilliant.

I think it might just be the mood I'm in today, if I waited a day to vote I might have gone the other way.

Regardless, I think these two records represent Rush at their finest. As the years go by I find myself becoming a bigger and bigger fan. I still think my favorite Rush record is the next one they make. I think they have more in them, I just hope they think so too.

2.gif

Snakes and Arrows Rocks. 1022.gif

VT just doesn't do it. It's almost like background music. I find myself focused on other things when it's on. The production is also weak on VT. I'd rather hear them live.

QUOTE (tcj @ Jul 8 2007, 06:03 PM)
VT seems to be getting dismissed lately, but I think that in a few years it will be looked back on more fondly. It has the same "under the radar" feel that Presto has, and look at how we fans feel about Presto today - it's an absolute classic.

How is Presto under the radar? People went bonkers over that album immediately because of the purported abolishment of synths. Even though there are synths on the album still.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 10 2007, 08:40 AM)
Wow, this is a toughie! yes.gif

Worst album Rush has ever made by a very long shot (VT)?

Or their best album in 20 years (S&A)?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/icon_hmm.gif

You've got to have real bad taste to say VT is the worst album, Rush have made. It's a top 5 album for many, myself included. Anyways, I think both records are excellent. Snakes will win this poll because of its newness and VT is still hindered by its sound quality.

Overall, I think VT has the better songs, however you can't deny the sound issues.

Take this poll in a year and it will be real close. Their best back to back records since 84/85.

One last note...To the poster who claimed that Presto had some sort of latent effect and is now considered a Rush classic, I have to strongly disagree. Presto is consistently rated near the bottom in every list where Rush fans have rated all Rush albums, and deservedly so.

QUOTE (thebernreuter @ Jul 13 2007, 07:19 AM)
VT seems to be getting dismissed lately, but I think that in a few years it will be looked back on more fondly.  It has the same "under the radar" feel that Presto has, and look at how we fans feel about Presto today - it's an absolute classic.

How is Presto under the radar? People went bonkers over that album immediately because of the purported abolishment of synths. Even though there are synths on the album still.

Presto is far from a Rush classic. It's one of their weakest overall albums. It's nowhere near the brilliance of VT or Snakes...

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Jul 13 2007, 06:15 AM)
QUOTE (thebernreuter @ Jul 13 2007, 07:19 AM)
VT seems to be getting dismissed lately, but I think that in a few years it will be looked back on more fondly.  It has the same "under the radar" feel that Presto has, and look at how we fans feel about Presto today - it's an absolute classic.

Presto is far from a Rush classic. It's one of their weakest overall albums. It's nowhere near the brilliance of VT or Snakes...

Yeah, when did Presto become a classic? It was their first mediocre album when it came out, and I still view it that way today. It's been 5 years since VT and it hasn't grown on me yet - still their worst album and embarassment to their legacy. Thanfully S&A turned it all around...

I dunno I can't decide. Vapor Trails has impressed me for years and it still gets better as time goes by. Songs like The Stars Look Down and How it is were not favourites of mine, but today even they sound great. The whole of VT is a masterwork as far as I'm concerned. It gets better and better.

I won't vote though it's still to early to judge S&A.

VT Is a little bit more METAL I suppose though...

1022.gif

I don't know. Both are really good albums. They're different albums musically. VT sounds like a traditional Rush album, while S&A is more "rooted" and experimental/

Tough call, but I'll go S&A.

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Jul 13 2007, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 10 2007, 08:40 AM)
Wow, this is a toughie! yes.gif

Worst album Rush has ever made by a very long shot (VT)?

Or their best album in 20 years (S&A)?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/icon_hmm.gif

You've got to have real bad taste to say VT is the worst album, Rush have made. It's a top 5 album for many, myself included. Anyways, I think both records are excellent. Snakes will win this poll because of its newness and VT is still hindered by its sound quality.

Overall, I think VT has the better songs, however you can't deny the sound issues.

Take this poll in a year and it will be real close. Their best back to back records since 84/85.

One last note...To the poster who claimed that Presto had some sort of latent effect and is now considered a Rush classic, I have to strongly disagree. Presto is consistently rated near the bottom in every list where Rush fans have rated all Rush albums, and deservedly so.

Well, I have to agree with rushgoober.

IMO S&A is easily their best effort since maybe PowerWindows, whereas VT never captured my attention. All the same, interchangeable, mediocre songs with the exception of Earthshine (even though I prefer the live version). Especially One Little Victory is a criminally bad song which may have sounded so bad to me (still does) that it took away all the eagerness to get into this album.

Only one album is even worse, T4E. To me, those two (VT and T4E) are the 'gruesome twosome'. Others here on the forum used this to describe Presto and RTB. These two are also not the highlights in their career, but songs like Bravado, The Pass, Ghost of a chance, Available Light etc. have given me more joy than any minute from those two albums. Counterparts, their last album IMO, I liked a lot. But S&A overrides that easily.

I might as well say that I simply do not even count these two albums as Rush-albums. Shoot me, but the only thing that kept me in the Rush-camp were their live releases.

And at least, with S&A my patience has been rewarded. After some 13/14 years.

Compare Far Cry with that Victory monster song

Or the way the wind blows with that wonderful bluesy opening, against you name it (Totem? Peaceble Kingdom? I dont even know all the song titles LOL, whereas for most albums I even know the length in seconds for every song).

Or the instrumentals, the groove of MalNar. Oh yes, at last those terrible DogYears are gone. Rush's dark ages have disappeared.

I voted Snakes & Arrows even though I still love VT, VT was an album that needed a producer like Nick R to take over and hold the helm and hold it down.

Imagine what VT could have been if Nick had been assigned to produce it, it would have been amazing.

Freeze is one of the best Rush songs ever made.

Tough question to answer. I really enjoy S@A as an album, one of the easier to listen to straight through as the songs mesh well and I can't wait to hear the new stuff live. However, overall it may be a bit too melodic for my taste...every song. VT was a bit more primal in their return. Sonically, S&A by a mile. However, I think I may have to give the nod to VT as it's heavier. It's close though, very close.

QUOTE (limeloaf @ Jul 16 2007, 08:33 PM)
I voted Snakes & Arrows even though I still love VT, VT was an album that needed a producer like Nick R to take over and hold the helm and hold it down.

Imagine what VT could have been if Nick had been assigned to produce it, it would have been amazing.

Freeze is one of the best Rush songs ever made.

goodpost.gif Yeah, VT as produced by Nick R would have been amazing. 1022.gif

I wonder if it would be feasible to not just remaster VT (as Alex has hinted may happen) but for Rush and Nick R to go back and remix VT from scratch? unsure.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 9 2007, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxst2112 @ Jul 9 2007, 09:37 PM)
I would have to say Vapor Trails, by a long shot. Like someone else said, S&A has a same tempo and upbeat throughout(I love the album nonetheless), with Vapor Trails there is a more diverse sound. I loved Vapor Trails when I first heard it. Snakes and Arrows took me a couple of listens to love it.

This tells me how relative this all is.

I think the songs on Vapor Trails sound too much alike, there's no variety. Too much of a good thing, if you will. It's very agressive in how its paced. It's relentless. I think Vapor Trails suffers from not being diverse.

Snakes & Arrows, on the other hand, has variety. Heck, there are people on this board complaining about "The Larger Bowl" being too country sounding! There's everything from reflective acoustic music to crunching power chords to the mandolin to the mellotron. I agree with the album being too mid-tempo but I'm getting old, so I don't mind.

All in all, it just proof of how good Rush is.

trink39.gif

couldnt agree more!

Archived