Snakes and Arrows vs Vapor Trails

pt2112

171 members have voted

1. 1. Snakes and Arrows vs Vapor Trails

• Snakes and Arrows
    • Vapor Trails

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 15 2007, 01:53 PM)
QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Jul 13 2007, 06:15 AM)
QUOTE (thebernreuter @ Jul 13 2007, 07:19 AM)
QUOTE (tcj @ Jul 8 2007, 06:03 PM)
VT seems to be getting dismissed lately, but I think that in a few years it will be looked back on more fondly.  It has the same "under the radar" feel that Presto has, and look at how we fans feel about Presto today - it's an absolute classic.

How is Presto under the radar? People went bonkers over that album immediately because of the purported abolishment of synths. Even though there are synths on the album still.

Presto is far from a Rush classic. It's one of their weakest overall albums. It's nowhere near the brilliance of VT or Snakes...

Yeah, when did Presto become a classic? It was their first mediocre album when it came out, and I still view it that way today. It's been 5 years since VT and it hasn't grown on me yet - still their worst album and embarassment to their legacy. Thanfully S&A turned it all around...

Presto is and always will be one of their smartest, strongest albums, just like Vapor Trails is. I think a lot of people are mistaking the album's sound quality for its musical quality. If both were mixed/mastered/recorded/whatevered better, many of you would be singing a very different song, according to the comments I'm reading. To dismiss an album simply because it isn't as well-recorded as another is, IMHO, pretty dumb.

As for how Presto has been received, you can see that we're getting wildly different views on what the initial public reaction to it was. One person says it was instantly hated by everyone, another says I'm right and that it's a classic. I was around then, and when I got on Rush boards and the newsgroup way back in 1994, it wasn't warmly received, but over the years I saw it grow and grow in acceptance until it was uniformly considered a "hidden" classic. I also noticed that it depended on how people approached Rush's music as to how they felt about Presto. Those who came for the more thoughtful lyrics tended to like Presto more. I'm seeing the same thing about VT - there's just more emotional meat on the bones there. There's more there there. I don't find S&A revealing its secrets to me like VT (and Presto) continue to, and that's what makes a great album. Is S&A a good album? Definitely. But it's just not connecting where it counts for me. It feels like Roll The Bones to me - another album I like a lot but don't tend to listen to that often because it, too, lacks whatever it takes to make the "connecting punch," if you know what I mean.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i got vapour trails a few weeks ago, and thta probably has influenced my choice of VT over S&A. S&A is an amazing album, but my all time favourite song <One little victory> is on VT, and there are only 2 songs on VT that i dont absolutly adore- ghose rider and out of the cradel. Apart from that, i completely love the other songs. On S&A, even though i really like all the songs, i find myself listening to far cry, armour and sword, spindrift, TMMB, hope, GNF and we hold on- much more than the others. i just find VT more of an uplifting album, and thats my 2p.

QUOTE (tcj @ Jul 25 2007, 05:13 PM)
VT seems to be getting dismissed lately, but I think that in a few years it will be looked back on more fondly.  It has the same "under the radar" feel that Presto has, and look at how we fans feel about Presto today - it's an absolute classic.

How is Presto under the radar? People went bonkers over that album immediately because of the purported abolishment of synths. Even though there are synths on the album still.

Presto is far from a Rush classic. It's one of their weakest overall albums. It's nowhere near the brilliance of VT or Snakes...

Yeah, when did Presto become a classic? It was their first mediocre album when it came out, and I still view it that way today. It's been 5 years since VT and it hasn't grown on me yet - still their worst album and embarassment to their legacy. Thanfully S&A turned it all around...

Presto is and always will be one of their smartest, strongest albums, just like Vapor Trails is. I think a lot of people are mistaking the album's sound quality for its musical quality. If both were mixed/mastered/recorded/whatevered better, many of you would be singing a very different song, according to the comments I'm reading. To dismiss an album simply because it isn't as well-recorded as another is, IMHO, pretty dumb.

I think Presto is a mediocre album (by Rush standards) and VT is a bad album because of the music and the lyrics, not because of the quality of the recording. No offense, but to assume people are unintelligent enough "to dismiss an album simply because it isn't as well-recorded as another" is IMHO, also pretty dumb. eh.gif

Some people seem obsessed with talking over and over about how they hate Vapor Trails.

eyesre4.gif

Goober: Don't listen to it, forget about it, expunge it from your pysche, see a therapist, whatever you like, but whatever you do, f***ing shut up about it (please), it's beyond boring now, since you've made your view clear years ago...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 26 2007, 12:48 PM)

I think Presto is a mediocre album (by Rush standards) and VT is a bad album because of the music and the lyrics, not because of the quality of the recording. No offense, but to assume people are unintelligent enough "to dismiss an album simply because it isn't as well-recorded as another" is IMHO, also pretty dumb. eh.gif

beathorse.gif

Posting this ridiculous opinion of Vapor Trails over and over and over and over will never convert people to your way of thinking. PLEASE... get over it. We all KNOW you hate the album. I'm sure you've stated it in 1/3 of your total posts. Why don't you just put it in your sig and be done with it. It would be much easier to ignore then. yes.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 26 2007, 11:57 AM)

beathorse.gif

Posting this ridiculous opinion of Vapor Trails over and over and over and over will never convert people to your way of thinking. PLEASE... get over it. We all KNOW you hate the album. I'm sure you've stated it in 1/3 of your total posts. Why don't you just put it in your sig and be done with it. It would be much easier to ignore then. yes.gif

thanks for sharing. wacko.gif

*runs off to completely overhaul his personality and personal style to more ideally suit necromancer's needs*

moon.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 27 2007, 03:11 PM)

beathorse.gif

*runs off to completely overhaul his personality and personal style to more ideally suit necromancer's needs*

moon.gif

Sorry. It was a bad day and while there's some things I can understand, your constant bashing of an album that is so good, while you praise music that mostly sucks... i just don't get. confused13.gif

It has nothing to do with wanting you to conform to my way of thinking or my opinion. I get it that you don't like it. The point is... i think we ALL get it cuz you never cease to bag on it. Fine... you don't like it. Understood. Gotcha. Me comprende. Mucho Understoodo. You no likey VT.

I don't even bag on stupid shit like Star Wars as much as you bag on VT, which is at least a work of art and not some stupid pop culture drivel, like some of the things you seem to worship. It just gets old hearing you bag on it so much. Sorry if you feel that i shouldn't voice my feelings on that. But one of the things I think the board is for is not only to read people's ridiculous criticisms, but to reply to them.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 27 2007, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 27 2007, 03:11 PM)

beathorse.gif

moon.gif

Sorry. It was a bad day and while there's some things I can understand, your constant bashing of an album that is so good, while you praise music that mostly sucks... i just don't get. confused13.gif

It has nothing to do with wanting you to conform to my way of thinking or my opinion. I get it that you don't like it. The point is... i think we ALL get it cuz you never cease to bag on it. Fine... you don't like it. Understood. Gotcha. Me comprende. Mucho Understoodo. You no likey VT.

I don't even bag on stupid shit like Star Wars as much as you bag on VT, which is at least a work of art and not some stupid pop culture drivel, like some of the things you seem to worship. It just gets old hearing you bag on it so much. Sorry if you feel that i shouldn't voice my feelings on that. But one of the things I think the board is for is not only to read people's ridiculous criticisms, but to reply to them.

You're free to voice your opinion, but also don't expect me to change either. wink.gif

trink39.gif

Archived