Roll The Bones

WCFIELDS

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I only have 2 questions for the RTB-haters:

1. What the F#$% are you smoking?

2. Where can I get some?

Roll the Bones is a great album, period. Some of the lyrics are the best that have ever left Neil's pen. Are there some corny moments? For sure. But thematically, that album is a killer statement about the human condition.

IMHO, it's awesome, but hey, "I celebrate [their] entire catalogue."

QUOTE (WorkingMark @ May 9 2007, 01:27 PM)
So, I only have 2 questions for the RTB-haters:

1. What the F#$% are you smoking?

2. Where can I get some?

Roll the Bones is a great album, period. Some of the lyrics are the best that have ever left Neil's pen. Are there some corny moments? For sure. But thematically, that album is a killer statement about the human condition.

IMHO, it's awesome, but hey, "I celebrate [their] entire catalogue."

The same thing could be asked of you:

What are you smoking?

Why should I like it?

Do I have to like it just because Rush made it?

I find it utterly forgettable, with the exception of Ghost of a Chance, love that song. Dreamline I kinda like but the rest I just plain hate and see it as a sickening turn Rush was making to get even further away from what made me love their music. As if Presto wasn't bad enough.

Outside of those 2 songs the music itself is uninspiring and if I have to go digging up the lyrics to get excited about one of their albums...they've failed me. I don't love Hemishperes or Power Windows because of the plot lines or character development. I require (for my enjoyment) that the music on Rush albums kick-ass...on RTB & Presto it nearly makes me angry it's so pedestrian. That included the instrumental. And I don't go to Rush to get my dancing groove on either.

Though on the other hand RTB isn't totally worthless, it makes a nice coaster for the end table.

RTB and Presto are simply the weakest in the entire catalogue. Perhaps it was Hine's fault.

Over-produced, sterile, self-absorbed, thin...need I go on.

It still gets a play from me every once in a while, but it is definitely at the bottom of the list.

QUOTE (Rush! @ May 9 2007, 01:22 PM)
Nobody likes Where's My Thing?

My all time favourite instrumental. By anyone....

QUOTE (Rush! @ May 9 2007, 10:22 AM)
Nobody likes Where's My Thing?

Only one of THE best instrumentals! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 9 2007, 03:12 PM)
The same thing could be asked of you:

What are you smoking?

Why should I like it?

Do I have to like it just because Rush made it?

Though on the other hand RTB isn't totally worthless, it makes a nice coaster for the end table.

One man's opinion, dude. My 'questions' were purely for rhetorical emphasis.

Don't like RTB? No big deal, but don't shit on it. While I don't think Rush are infallible, I think their 'worst' work is leagues beyond the best work of most other bands.

Again, just my opinion, but again, I dig (with the exception of about 4 songs) their entire catalogue. I'm not one of those "this era was better than that"-types, because everything about the evolution of Rush's sound makes sense to my ears.

There's a difference between being a true fan of a band and just picking and choosing what of their material meets up to your exacting standards.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 9 2007, 04:47 AM)
Ghost of a chance is the best song on that album. I hope they play it live icon_alienjig.gif

Yes and me 653.gif biggrin.gif i also like roll the bones its a bit different cool.gif 2.gif

Can't stand (Bog) Roll the Bones or the equally vile Counterparts.

Both utterly forgettable and I haven't listened to either in a long time....

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 8 2007, 09:33 PM)
I ran the numbers recently and it's official: RTB is only slightly better on my scale than Presto. I like 21% of the material on RTB and a whopping 18% of Presto.

Don't get me wrong they both suck generally but the particular suckage on Presto has a higher ratio of blow per songs played than RTB.

Figuring percentages.....how's that for being a Rush dork?

You own a "Suck-O-Meter"????

That's fancy dancy!!!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 9 2007, 06:47 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 8 2007, 10:20 PM)
my least favorite Rush album

Mine too. (But I love "Dreamline.")

I concur!!!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 9 2007, 10:30 PM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ May 9 2007, 04:00 PM)
RTB is a really solid album, love every song on it.

Yep...what he said. trink39.gif

trink39.gif

I enjoy both "RTB" and "Presto" about at about the same level. Just above middle of the road for the band. If you combined the best songs from both records then you'd have a much better listen:

Press The Bones?

Show Don't Tell

Chain Lightening

Roll The Bones

The Pass

Where's My Thing?

Dreamline

Superconductor

Bravado

War Paint

Scars

Ghost of A Chance

And apart from "Leave That Thing Alone" I STILL can't get into "Counterparts" and "Test for Echo"...fuhgedaboutit!

I'm willing to bet that someone's liking RTB depends on when they discovered Rush. If you got into them after, say, HYF or Presto it seems easier to believe (for me anyway) that you would find RTB enjoyable.

It's cool if you get something out of it but for the life of me I can't understand how it's in anyone's top 5 Rush albums with so much more formidable work that came before & after.

QUOTE (Maraca @ May 10 2007, 06:30 PM)
I enjoy both "RTB" and "Presto" about at about the same level. Just above middle of the road for the band. If you combined the best songs from both records then you'd have a much better listen:

Press The Bones?

Show Don't Tell
Chain Lightening
Roll The Bones
The Pass
Where's My Thing?
Dreamline
Superconductor
Bravado
War Paint
Scars
Ghost of A Chance

And apart from "Leave That Thing Alone" I STILL can't get into "Counterparts" and "Test for Echo"...fuhgedaboutit!

Dude, I totally just made a "Press The Bones" playlist for my iPod.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 11 2007, 06:58 AM)
I'm willing to bet that someone's liking RTB depends on when they discovered Rush. If you got into them after, say, HYF or Presto it seems easier to believe (for me anyway) that you would find RTB enjoyable.

Yup- RtB was my first Rush album, so what can I say?

My top 5 albums (not ranked):

2112, MP, HYF, RtB, S&A.

S&A is a new addition, obviously, and we'll see how long it lasts. If it weren't on the list, Permanent Waves would be.

RtB USED to be my absolute favorite, but I don't think it is any more. It still has some of my favorite Rush songs, though: Dreamline, Bravado, RtB, Where's My Thing?, and Ghost of a Chance.

Archived