Most dated Rush album?

Kudzu

Which Rush studio album sounds the most "dated"?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Which Rush studio album sounds the most "dated"?

• Rush
    • Fly by Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test for Echo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 2 2006, 05:34 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Dec 2 2006, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 2 2006, 04:54 PM)
How can the answer not be Rush?  This album is derivative of early to mid seventies hard rock a la Led Zeppelin and is not at all progressive unlike every other Rush album.

I agree completely. A few good songs, but mostly completely unremarkable mid-70s hard rock. Easily my least-played Rush album.

It's my least played rush album too, but it's not because it's dated more just because I like all the others that much better...

You guys are crazy but that's what makes the world go around!

I LOVE THAT 2.gif RECORD!

I play it all the time!!

I can't say that any RUSH RECORD is outdated for me.

Each belongs within it's own audio time capsule of when it was made.

I love every record.

"Time Stand Still"

actually i was thinking of going the other way with this. which album is the hardest to date? which one was ahead of its time then and would sound new still today. i think i would have to go with permant waves. i may be way off here.

Hold Your Fire-Awful Sequential Circuits,Roland synths(strings for chrissakes)horrid drum sound-too thin(Tama?)80's compression on recording/mix.Poxy Wal basses,5-string no clank.And the worst album-closer i'v ever heard.Shame really as there is some real nice guitar-work in there somewhere.Oh,i forgot Tai Shan 062802puke_prv.gif

I said the debut, but I think Power Windows and Vapor Trails get strong consideration.

Vapor Trails for the mastering style, Power Windows for the synths all over the place, and the sounds that they had. HYF had a lot of synth, but it was used in ways that are still conventionally used, imo.

Every RUSH album has it's place in it's own time.

That said,I would have to say the 1st one is the most dated.

..But it's still a great album.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 7 2011, 08:44 PM)
T4E

"put you message in a modem"

Lyrically, yes, I agree that T4E is the most dated.

Musically, I'd say HYF, only because of the keyboard and guitar sounds being used on there -- very stylized and modern (for that time). Not too many rock bands using those sounds nowadays.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Dec 7 2011, 09:43 PM)
I said the debut, but I think Power Windows and Vapor Trails get strong consideration.

Vapor Trails for the mastering style, Power Windows for the synths all over the place, and the sounds that they had. HYF had a lot of synth, but it was used in ways that are still conventionally used, imo.

The debut? That's balls-to-the-wall heavy blues-rock. That's a classic sound. Nothing dated about that, IMO.

I'm going with Fly By Night, even over the first album.

It just sounds like the mid-70s too much. The title track, which so many of you love, and which still gets played on rock radio... meh. Simple lyrics, a simple little guitar riff, and a Geddy-fronting-BTO vibe, in my opinion. Tres' 70s!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 7 2011, 11:08 PM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ Dec 7 2011, 09:43 PM)

The debut? That's balls-to-the-wall heavy blues-rock. That's a classic sound. Nothing dated about that, IMO.

I disagree. It sounds VERY 70's. When I hear that album, I think of That 70s Show.

Balls-to-the-wall Blues Rock now a days would be a band like Jet. Since Rush's debut sounds nothing like Jet, I say it sounds dated.

But, to each their own.