Best High School Coming Of Age Films

rushgoober

Ok, I must admit, that even here as a 37-year old, I enjoy a good teen-age high school coming of age film, but truly great ones seem few and far between.

It seems the best ones speak to the time it's made and blend drama with humor in an intelligent way.

The ones that spring to mind as being my true faves are:

Fast Times At Ridgemont High (I was actually a teen when this came out wink.gif )

Dazed and Confused (Ok, this was made in 1993 about the 70's, but it was done to great effect)

Clueless

10 Things I Hate About You

To a lesser degree: Mean Girls

Anyone got any others???

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dazed and Confused is awesome as is Fast Times.... Dead Poets Society is a great drama....Porky's is a fav of mine laugh.gif The first American Pie movie...

-Actually today I partially watched an interesting movie(going to finish it in the morning) called Brick...I don't know if it qualifies as "coming of age" but the movie is film noir set in a contemporary high school setting. It came off like a 40's detective movie in high school of today...neat, stylish flick (so far) . Stars that guy who played the teen alien on Third Rock From the Sun (Can't remember his name now)...Lost cutie Emilie de Ravin (Claire) is also in it.

-Speaking of Dazed and Confused being made in the 90's but about the 70's how about American Graffiti which was made in the 70's but it's about the 50's?

Gotta mention Ferris Bueller's Day Off...anybody remember a movie called My Bodyguard? Another one I like is 3 O' Clock High...

I knew someone was gonna bring up Porky's! laugh.gif

Yeah, the first American Pie movie DEFINITELY, and My Bodyguard is a long lost mini-classic. Even better is a movie from 1978 or so called ON THE EDGE. Anyone seen that one? I think it was Matt Dillon's first movie.

There's also Little Darlings.

And this one is a little different, but one of my faves: The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - early 80's

Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink - mid 80's

Molly Ringwald was the poster child for 80's teens.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 13 2006, 04:28 AM)
Does Weird Science qualify? confused13.gif

It does.

While I really like Weird Science, I tend to prefer the ones that at least have some realism to them, more like the Breakfast Club, which I woke up remembering and of course others had already jumped on.

Of course, none of the movies I mentioned is ENTIRELY realistic, like The Breakfast Club, but at least they're making some kind of real statement, whereas Weird Science I thought of as more purely fun.

"Breakfast Club" probably earns my top honor; a good message in that one, which everyone in my Senior Class absorbed and then lived by. "St. Elmo's Fire" is good for the slightly older set.

"Better Off Dead" is hysterical, and very quotable:

"I want my two dollars!"

"Gee Ricky, I'm sorry your mom blew up."

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is!?"

"It's a shame people be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 13 2006, 08:48 AM)
Over the edge.

If I recall correctly (and thats a big if ) one character wore a Rush shirt.

That's right.

For sure Fast Times at Ridgemont High...a great stoner film for sure. Dazed and Confused was the midnight show for me where people snuck in bottles of great alcohol and even bongs. Oh yeah, that theater was a massive wave of smoke! z7shysterical.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (SlackABob @ Oct 13 2006, 02:32 PM)
Anyone remember The Last American Virgin?

Awesome film!

good one, how about "my bodyguard" its a classic, love when the kid finally gets the balls to stand up to the bully(mat dillion) and pops um in the nose, and like a true bully he cowers on the ground like a little girl.

Wierd Science had a message. Lisa was trying to get the guys to be confident in themselves in order to find true love.

How about Some Kind of Wonderful? I always enjoyed the look on Keith and Duncan's faces near the end when Amanda slaps Hardy... twice!

She's Having A Baby: I guess this was more young adult, but Kevin Bacon's character seemed rather immature for most of the film. Even though he was an adult with adult responsibilities, you got the sense he wanted to still be a kid, until his wife almost loses the baby. That whole segment still makes me weepy.

John Hughes was the master of the 80's coming of age film. Even if he didn't direct them, he still had the midas touch.

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 13 2006, 02:10 PM)

good one, how about "my bodyguard" its a classic, love when the kid finally gets the balls to stand up to the bully(mat dillion) and pops um in the nose, and like a true bully he cowers on the ground like a little girl.

Awesome! I love "My Bodyguard"! I seek it out every few years at the video store and bring it home for another viewing.

I oughtta own a copy. It's a favorite.

And while we're talking about "Pretty in Pink" and "Some Kind of Wonderful" and its ilk (teen-oriented romantic comedies), how about an oft-overlooked little gem called "Teen Wolf"? I know some people think it's cheesy, but I've always liked it!

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 13 2006, 03:16 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Oct 13 2006, 02:10 PM)

Awesome! I love "My Bodyguard"! I seek it out every few years at the video store and bring it home for another viewing.

I oughtta own a copy. It's a favorite.

And while we're talking about "Pretty in Pink" and "Some Kind of Wonderful" and its ilk (teen-oriented romantic comedies), how about an oft-overlooked little gem called "Teen Wolf"? I know some people think it's cheesy, but I've always liked it!

If your gonna go as far as teen wolf, what about "Back to the future?"

I played that version of Johnny B. Goode for 10 year after I saw that movie.

Goober, weren't you IN Fast Time At Ridgemont High?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/geddylee2001/Brad1.jpg

Fast times is THE one.

There was the Back to the Future trilogy.

One of my wife's all time favorites is Sixteen Candles.

Risky Business was good (even if it has Tom Cruise). He was also in one called All the Right Moves.

Lots of great movies have been mentioned in this thread. My personal favorites are Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

There was one movie that took place in Pittsburgh, can't remember what it was called. One of the main characters hates his dad and burns their place down. Anybody remember this one? I saw it over 20 years ago.

There was also Less Than Zero with Robert Downey, Jr. Kind of disturbing movie.

Another one was Can't Buy Me Love. It took place in Arizona. Another one that took place in AZ was Pump up the Volume, with Christian Slater (the guy who sounds like Jack Nicholson without trying).

Another absolute favorite of mine in this genre is Boyz N the Hood.

If I think of any others, I'll post them later.