Which Rush album reflects what Rush is

treeduck

Which of these studio albums most what reflect RUSH are about?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these studio albums most what reflect RUSH are about?

• 1 Rush
    • 2 Fly By Night
    • 3 Caress of Steel
    • 4 2112
    • 5 A Farewell to Kings
    • 6 Hemispheres
    • 7 Permanent Waves
    • 8 Moving Pictures
    • 9 Signals
    • 10 Grace under Pressure
    • 11 Power Windows
    • 12 Hold Your Fire
    • 13 Presto
    • 14 Roll the Bones
    • 15 Counterparts
    • 16 Test for Echo
    • 17 Vapor Trails
    • 18 Feedback

Which Rush studio album most completely represents the true Rush sound more than any other? Which album would you choose to win over your Rush-hating pal who's never heard a single note? Which album would you grab if a benevolent alien landed outside your house wanting to know just what rock music is and who Rush are?

So it may not be what you consider to be the best, so don't cheat and just pick your fave. Think about the questions here and make what you think is the right choice based on them...

I'm going to say Permanent Waves, although PeW and Moving Pictures are kinda tied in my mind. They're both similar in sound, but PeW has "Natural Science," and that song alone completely exemplifies "Rush" to my way of thinking.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 5 2006, 09:14 PM)
I'm going to say Permanent Waves, although PeW and Moving Pictures are kinda tied in my mind.  They're both similar in sound, but PeW has "Natural Science," and that song alone completely exemplifies "Rush" to my way of thinking.

yup.

I'd also say that Freewill neatly encapsulates everything good about Rush in five minutes

QUOTE (Fridge @ Sep 5 2006, 04:33 PM)
I'm going to say Permanent Waves, although PeW and Moving Pictures are kinda tied in my mind.  They're both similar in sound, but PeW has "Natural Science," and that song alone completely exemplifies "Rush" to my way of thinking.

yup.

I'd also say that Freewill neatly encapsulates everything good about Rush in five minutes

Yup.

To me, Signals is a great example of Rush's sound. Every song is amazing...an incredible album! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Moving Pictures was a close second; I almost couldn't decide!

When I bought the "A Farewell to Kings" album in 1977 and listened to it for the first time, it absolutely knocked me out. The first chord after the classical intro on the title cut smacked me right in the face. That was a sound that nobody had back then. It was raw and powerful yet refined and majestic all at the same time.

To this day, that album is Rush to me.

You know what? Signals. That album hooked me on Rush forever. It represents that mixing pot of pop sensibility, hard rock, progressive rock, deep meanings, and poetic lyrics. Rush does that like no other band can, truly.

I'd probably agree with the last post pretty much but I think Moving Pictures is the closest to the criteria of the thread questions; it has some keyboards, plenty of guitar raunch, the last of the epic tracks, a fore runner of the 80s era (Vital Signs), in essence a bit of everything in a seven song collection that's high quality from beginning to end...

I'm going to say Permanent Waves, although PeW and Moving Pictures are kinda tied in my mind. They're both similar in sound, but PeW has "Natural Science," and that song alone completely exemplifies "Rush" to my way of thinking.

That's saved my fingers some work.

Ditto!!

Their new album, the one that shall be released in 2007. That's who they are. Their other albums are who they were.

BUT if the question is, what album most captures the essence of Rush, I would have to go with the obvious answer and say Moving Pictures. That's always the one I recommend to newbies first.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 5 2006, 06:27 PM)
Their new album, the one that shall be released in 2007. That's who they are. Their other albums are who they were.

BUT if the question is, what album most captures the essence of Rush, I would have to go with the obvious answer and say Moving Pictures. That's always the one I recommend to newbies first.

Good point Puppet...except there's one big thing you're forgetting up on your high horse there, it'll still be who they were, it'll be who they were in May and September 2006...

tongue.gif

(it is a good point though)

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 6 2006, 12:24 AM)

That's saved my fingers some work.

Ditto!!

Ditto ditto.........PeW for me too !

In one of the guitar magazines right after RTB or Counterparts was released, the same question was posed to Geddy. But it was in regards to WHICH SONG reflects Rush. His answer was Distant Early Warning. I can't remember the reason he gave since it was well over a decade ago. But who am I to disagree with The Man?

"Distant Early Warning"??? You must be mistaken; the man couldn't have said that, unless he was on the crack. yes.gif

Unusual that Geddy would've picked that one, especially since he hates the GUP album.

My choice for song might be "Spirit of Radio," as it serves as a "biography of the band" or "mission statement" in a way.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 6 2006, 12:45 PM)
"Distant Early Warning"??? You must be mistaken; the man couldn't have said that, unless he was on the crack. yes.gif

Unusual that Geddy would've picked that one, especially since he hates the GUP album.

My choice for song might be "Spirit of Radio," as it serves as a "biography of the band" or "mission statement" in a way.

Grace Under pressure is my least favourite Rush album after 2.gif

I still listen to it every now and then though as there's always good tracks even on a weak Rush album...

Moving Pictures all the way.

That album captures a little of everything from their 30+ year careers. Tom Sawyer includes the sound effects and synth that would come to be a weapon of choice for the band in the 80's. Red Barchetta is a tremendous prog track that is smooth yet rockin'. YYZ: one of their best instrumentals. Limelight is...well...Limelight. The Camera Eye hints at a throwback to their early years with a longer progressive track. And so on and so on. In just 40 minutes, it best represents the overall sound of Rush moreso than any of those other albums.

Archived