What do you read to your kids?

Slime

I have no kids, but would like to eventually (especially after seeing things like the pictures our board members have posted of their own kids).

I wanna know what the parents here read to their children. What kid's books do you enjoy yourself? I'll need recommendations for the future!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything and everything! Usually three "ni-night" stories each night, to our three year-old girl, Iris.

The "Little Critter" books by Mercer Mayer are good; even fun for adults, with a healthy cynicism in the stories and an interesting meter to the writing.

Sesame Street books.

"Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" (good for learning colors)

"Goodnight Moon"

"Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" (for learning the alphabet)

"Little Engine That Could"

Old staples like "Three Little Pigs" and "Goldilocks and the Three Bears."

Later, of course, we'll get into longer and deeper stuff. I can't wait to share books with her like "Charlotte's Web" and (later still) have her read "Harriet the Spy" and "The Hobbit."

Dr. Seuss...lot's and lot's of Dr. Seuss.

The sun did not shine

it was too wet to play,

so we stayed in the house

all that cold cold wet day...

Yeah... Seuss is good, too.

My sons loved Good Night, Moon. It's a perfect get-cozy-and-drowsy book.

Then there's every mother's tearjerker: I'll Love You Forever. fists crying.gif

We have lots of Berenstain Bears (great for life lessons) and various other Thomas the Tank Engine, Bob the Builder-type stuff.

Oh, and the classic Winnie the Pooh stories are wonderful.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 20 2006, 01:46 PM)
Then there's every mother's tearjerker: I'll Love You Forever. fists crying.gif

OMG...I burst out crying in a book store when I read that one. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Alien Girl @ Jun 20 2006, 03:48 PM)
Then there's every mother's tearjerker: I'll Love You Foreverfists crying.gif

I know.

Every time I try to pick him up, or get him in my lap, my now-eight-year-old son tells me, "Mom, you're like that lady in the book. You gonna try to pick me up when I'm a grown-up?"

And I say, "You'd better believe it." smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 20 2006, 03:53 PM)

I know.

Every time I try to pick him up, or get him in my lap, my now-eight-year-old son tells me, "Mom, you're like that lady in the book. You gonna try to pick me up when I'm a grown-up?"

Must be a chick thing; my wife got teary, too.

Personally, I think it's a little creepy. The now-elderly mom climbs a ladder and into the bedroom window of the now-adult son, only to cradle a 40 year-old man in her lap. Pretty weird, if you ask me. tongue.gif

I get the message: Mom will always love you, will always be there to comfort you, even as an adult. It's the execution of the message and that one illustration that makes it so darned wonky.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 20 2006, 04:42 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 20 2006, 03:53 PM)

I know.

Must be a chick thing; my wife got teary, too.

Personally, I think it's a little creepy. The now-elderly mom climbs a ladder and into the bedroom window of the now-adult son, only to cradle a 40 year-old man in her lap. Pretty weird, if you ask me. tongue.gif

I get the message: Mom will always love you, will always be there to comfort you, even as an adult. It's the execution of the message and that one illustration that makes it so darned wonky.

Awww...c'mon. smile.gif My son knows it's sort of symbolic. laugh.gif I told him, "No, I'm not going to climb up to your window...it's that I'll always WANT to think of you as my baby." He gets it and doesn't think I'm too weird.

wub.gif

My sons loved Good Night, Moon. It's a perfect get-cozy-and-drowsy book.

Oh, and the classic Winnie the Pooh stories are wonderful.

Good Night Moon is great. I read it to my oldest everynight fro a year or two. She even has a stuffed rabbit from the book we got as a package when we bought it.

Winnie The Pooh is awesome, AA Milne was amazing. These are fantastic stories for kids & us adults too.

Green Eggs & Ham is one of my favorite books ever. I love reading it to my kids.

I love Dr. Seuss.

Gets really difficult to read tho, if you are plumb tuckered. Usually my kids end up laughing at me, instead of the book! tongue.gif

The funny thing about Dr. Seuss for me is it becomes somewhat rote to read. I used to think they were a tad too long, and tongue tying. But it's gotten so that I can read 'Green Eggs and Ham' in about 3 minutes...longer one's such as 'The Sleep Book' and 'Cat in the Hat' take a couple of minutes longer. They're fun to read too, for me, as the reader, not just fun to hear. Some of the passages roll off the tongue so nicely.

So I said with my net

I can get them I bet

I bet with my net

I can get those things yet biggrin.gif

Edited by Alien Girl

Anything by Maurice Sendak- best know for "Where the wild things are"

As said before anything by Dr, Suess. ( he is the shit )

Anything by Roald Dahl, best known for Charlie and the chocolate factory and james and the giant peach, all of his books in particular "the fantastic mr. fox" are worth checking out.

My kids were tough. My oldest boys both suffered from night terrors. scared.gif

So we usually only read them very tranquil stuff. I have to hand it to any parent who does the reading at night thing. I just can't do it for some reason. Though what I would do is take the basics of the page and add stuff to it to make them laugh. I'd do characterizations for them and funny voices that made NO sense at all. This however did little to put them to sleep. It usually only wound them up more, so I was forbidden to read to them anymore. laugh.gif

Now when i have Grandkids... i'll read them JAWK JAW. icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Edited by Necromancer

I do voices, too. I do great impressions of the Sesame Street characters when reading SS books (my Count is my best), and I give appropriate voices to the different-sized bears in "Goldilocks and the Three Bears." That kind of thing.

My daughter (just turned 18) has been an avid gamer for most of her life. She's the queen and my hat's off to her in that regard. She's helped out of many a gaming bind. Anyway, when she was very young and we were still reading to her at bedtime, she always wanted us to read the instruction books that came with the nintendo games! laugh.gif

She also liked Lowly Worm, Dr. Seuss, Disney books and some kids science books (but the game books were her fave, hehe).

Edited by Tammeh

I remember the feeling of reading the instructions to a game I knew nothing about. That mysterious yet awe inspiring feeling is just lacking in todays modern booklets.

Of course I played video games more than I read as a child. Maybe that's why I'm illiterate sad.gif.

and somebody shoot that dog from Duck Hunt, please!

Dr. Seuss

Berenstain Bears

Franklin the Turtle

Thomas the Tank Engine

Little Critter

All the Robert Munsch books.

Goodnight Moon, Brown Bear, The Toad Sleeps over.

And almost everything mentioned already

And one more thing. From birth -- probably in the womb -- my little guy has been car crazy. So since he was about two my hubbs would bring home car magazines or brochures from time to time to read to him.

So every night he would INSIST that we go page by page through the car mags and identify every part of Ferraris, Porsches, Lamborghinis, Audis and Volvos and BMWs and Mercedes. We would point out gear boxes and gauges and engines and lights and grilles and steering wheels.

He's 5 1/2 now and probably wouldn't recognize a Ford Taurus but he knows his upscale cars cold. And his real love is Porsches. I bring home toy ones a couple of times a year for a treat.