What do you read to your kids?

Slime

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 31 2007, 10:48 AM)
owlswing, I read this book to my son's class...I think in 2nd grade, but even if it was 1st, I think 7-8 year olds would like it. It's really fun to read, esp. if you put on a fake cowboy accent.

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0807504572.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Armadilly Chili by Helen Ketteman

From Booklist
K-Gr. 3. Yee haw! This Texas-style takeoff on "The Little Red Hen" bubbles with southwestern flavor. Miss Billie Armadilly is hankerin' for a pot of hot armadilly chili but her friends--tarantula Tex, bluebird Mackie, and horned Taffy the toad--have excuses for not helping her gather a boxful of beetles, pick a peck of peppers, and chop prickly pear cactus. "No workin' with Billie, no sharin' the chili," is Miss Billie's retort when the smell of the bubbling chili brings her friends to her door, but the chili tastes flat until her buddies return bringing sacks of apologies and goodies; friends, it seems were the missing ingredient. Ketteman flavors the tale and message with plenty of pizzazz. Terry uses hot, intensely saturated, southwestern colors to spice the comedy, and embellishes each critter's characteristics with clever details, such as Tex's bolo tie. A surefire hit for the lap-sit crowd.

I just read the excert from Amazon this one looks great. The are also recommending Gator Gumbo which looks like a good self read book for them.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 31 2007, 05:50 AM)
QUOTE (owlswing @ Jan 30 2007, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 30 2007, 09:04 PM)
QUOTE (owlswing @ Jan 30 2007, 08:25 PM)
Ok! I'm opening an older thread but I need some help. I have the class read aloud coming up.

What is a good book for 2nd graders (7-8 yrs old) -that is good for boys and girls?

almost any Suess book

Thanks that what I thought would work too. I brought a few of those last time and they gave them a thumbs downs. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

That's why I need some new ideas. All we have other than those are fairy, princess and american girl books.

I'm stuck:huh:

when do you have to do this?

i will ask my girls...seeing that they are 16 & 14, it's been a LONG time since i read to them...and by the time they were 7 & 8, they were reading themselves...

but i'm sure i still have some of those books around...

a few i saved because i loved them so much!

OH! and my co-worker! he has a boy about that age!!

i'll see what he says today too!

i'll get back at cha later today ok?

Hi;

I need to do this the 3rd week in Feb. GG recommend a good book below. That I'm going to look for.

I still have 4 more times during the school year to read. So more book suggestions are helpful.

Ok! I'm opening an older thread but I need some help. I have the class read aloud coming up.

What is a good book for 2nd graders (7-8 yrs old) -that is good for boys and girls?

Captain Underpants by Dave Pilkey

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (tangdog @ Jan 31 2007, 12:31 PM)

That book is on the list of books they would rather you didn't bring in.... confused13.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Jan 31 2007, 12:34 PM)

That book is on the list of books they would rather you didn't bring in.... confused13.gif

No wonder my son has about 10 of those books! I like them too.

How about some Roald Dahl. All his stuff including that for adults is great. Most kids know now Charlie and the chocolate factory and james and the giant peach.

I really like "The Fantastic Mr. Fox"- I think i heard a movie is in the works on that one too.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Jan 31 2007, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (owlswing @ Jan 31 2007, 12:34 PM)

No wonder my son has about 10 of those books! I like them too.

How about some Roald Dahl. All his stuff including that for adults is great. Most kids know now Charlie and the chocolate factory and james and the giant peach.

I really like "The Fantastic Mr. Fox"- I think i heard a movie is in the works on that one too.

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

I'm getting a good list going now. I can't wait to get to the library. At this rate I'll have one for each time I need to go in until June...Keep the ideas coming PLEASE!

what length of book are you looking for??

i'm assuming not a chapter book...

here's a couple that we still have that the kids might enjoy....

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

The Giving Tree

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Harold and the Purple Crayon

ANY Junie B Jones book!!

ANY Mercer Mayer (but i'm not sure if that would be too young for your readers)

ok! that's it for now.... if you need more... i'll go thru my library and see what others i can come up with!!

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Feb 1 2007, 06:35 AM)
what length of book are you looking for??
i'm assuming not a chapter book...

here's a couple that we still have that the kids might enjoy....

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

The Giving Tree

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Harold and the Purple Crayon

ANY Junie B Jones book!!

ANY Mercer Mayer (but i'm not sure if that would be too young for your readers)

ok! that's it for now.... if you need more... i'll go thru my library and see what others i can come up with!!

These soung great. Thank you smile.gif