What do you read to your kids?

Slime

As mentioned before...Seuss....

And one that wasn't mentioned but is a monster favorite:

Grandfather Twilight.

We also read a series of books by some lady named Weiss...about twins. Twins go to the park, twins take a bath, twins go to bed...etc.

And as for when they get older, Tolkien made the list for my boys.

Beware of "Where the red fern grows," an unbelievable tear-jerker with a fairly well hidden religious theme. I could barely read it between sobs at the end. I'm pretty sure it freaked my kids out, but they were bawling too.

Edited by steelcaressed

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 3 2006, 05:56 PM)
I do voices, too. I do great impressions of the Sesame Street characters when reading SS books (my Count is my best), and I give appropriate voices to the different-sized bears in "Goldilocks and the Three Bears." That kind of thing.

Me too...except for Grover. Though I can do the voice well...it kills my throat and makes me cough.

Meow mix box cat.gif

1287.gif

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Sep 9 2006, 09:40 PM)

Meow mix box cat.gif

1287.gif

laugh.gif

yikes!! every night until my kids were old enough to read to themselves i would read to them before bed...

lets see...some favorites...

DEFINATELY Mercer Mayer's little critter!! i saved all the ones we had and passed them on to my neice...i hope she will love them as much as my kids did/do...

curious george books

dr suess books

the little engine that could

Shel Silerstein....especially **The Giving Tree**... (and the tree was happy....)

The runaway Bunny

good nite moon

Where the wild things are

Clifford the Big Red Dog books

Mother Goose Rhymes

Roald Dahl book

Junie B Jones books

Tell me Again about the night i was born ( a book by Jamie Lee Curtis about being adopted...and altho my kids weren't adopted, they loved the book!)

Lilly and the purple plastic purse (or something close to that)

Little Golden books

(The poky little puppy)

Little Bear

Chicken Soup with Rice

Spot books

and that's all i can think of off the top of my head....

i'm sure there are a million more i'm not remembering.....

those

I love reading Mercer Mayer's "Little Critter" books to my daughter. There's something about the way the sentences are structured that make them fun to read; they just "flow" in a poetic way. And Little Critter's narration makes him sound a little bit like a healthy cynic, although with a soft spot. Good stuff. We've got over a dozen of these books.

I can't wait for my kids to get older, so I can foist Roald Dahl books and "Harriet the Spy" on them.

Edited by GeddyRulz

I don't have kids yet, but when I do I can't wait to read them the books that my parents read to me!

James and the Giant Peach (my dad read to me from it every night before bed, I loved it)

The Children's Bible (my dad read this to my brother and I, we loved it)

All of those classic Golden Books smile.gif

Anything Disney smile.gif

QUOTE (Kid_Gloves @ Sep 18 2006, 01:46 AM)

James and the Giant Peach (my dad read to me from it every night before bed, I loved it)

that is a GREAT book...(and i like the movie too...)

here's some more i may not have listed before....

Stuart Little....

Charlotte's Web

The Trumpet of the Swan

The Secret Staircase

Alice In wonderland

The Umbrella Man and other short stories

Caps for Sale

some of the most memorable Dr Suess books are: (we still have these!)

My Many Colored Days

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

Go Dog Go!

Are You my Mother?

The Lorax

The Foot Book

The Cat In The Cat

Green Eggs n Ham

My Book About Me, By Me Myself

Oh, The Places You'll Go!

Edited by ladirushfan80

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Sep 18 2006, 06:26 AM)
some of the most memorable Dr Suess books are: (we still have these!)
My Many Colored Days
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
Go Dog Go!
Are You my Mother?
The Lorax
The Foot Book
The Cat In The Cat
Green Eggs n Ham
My Book About Me, By Me Myself
Oh, The Places You'll Go!

We love all those too....a couple more obscure Suess books that I love:

The Butter Battle Book.

The 500 hats of Bartholomew Cubbins.

Yertle the Turtle.

And to think that I saw it on Mulberry Street.

And two classics not aforementioned:

Fox in Socks and Oh, say can you say!

My older daughter did "My book about me." Makes me misty to see her own hand-drawn foot and hand, to see that she weighed 38 pounds when she was 7, (she's very petite still) to read that she eats like "a persin." My newest children are growing up thinking that is how that book is supposed to be. I love it, a little captured piece of time in my daughter's life when she was 7.

QUOTE (Sleepless Wind @ Sep 20 2006, 09:04 AM)
Heavy into the Harry Potter, although my kids are far to old to be read to. smile.gif

My younger daughter and I did take a stab at reading the first of the Dragonlance Chronicles outloud together, alternating chapters. It was...ummm...an experience. biggrin.gif

yeah.....we all LOVE the HP books, but it wasn't a book that i would read to them, so that's why i didn't list it....

it wasn't until they were old enough to read themselves that they started reading them.....

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Sep 22 2006, 04:09 AM)
QUOTE (Sleepless Wind @ Sep 20 2006, 09:04 AM)
Heavy into the Harry Potter, although my kids are far to old to be read to. smile.gif

My  younger daughter and I did take a stab at reading the first of the Dragonlance Chronicles outloud together, alternating chapters. It was...ummm...an experience.  biggrin.gif

yeah.....we all LOVE the HP books, but it wasn't a book that i would read to them, so that's why i didn't list it....

it wasn't until they were old enough to read themselves that they started reading them.....

The fun thing with HP is that we all read them and sit around spending countless hours on 'HP Conspiracy Theories'

I guess I can't talk about "read to" anymore (why am I in this thread, LOL) but more along the lines of influencing them to good books.

My eldest got further through the LOTR books than I did, I died off somewhere in the middle of TTT. They both LOVED To Kill A Mockingbird.

I guess I love the idea of sitting around discussing books with them.

I do however fondly remember reading 'Sheep in a Jeep' and 'Green Wilma'

until I felt my tongue would fall out of my mouth.

...sorry for incoherent rambling. schla03.gif

When the kids were young, in addition to the house, I'd read to them in the car. My oldest child was the only one for five years, and we had a 40 minute commute to her preschool (and where my husband was in grad school and the community in which I worked). I'd read to her the entire trip there, and often on the way back. She has a love of literature and is a sophmore in college majoring in English. Not sure if all that reading had an effect. So far, the other two (12 and 14) continue to read for pleasure. Favorite books when she and her sisters were young: Owl Moon (so fun to whoo whoo who who who who whoooooo), Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day (so much fun to read and whine at the same time), Lyle Lyle Crockodile, and lots of Joseph Bruchac ones. When the youngest was about 5, I read Arthur C. Clarke's The Songs of Distant Earth on a trip and Louise Erdrich's [/i]Birchbark House[/i]. I soooooooo recommend that book, btw. We read one of the Harry Potter books aloud over a Christmas vacation one year. Wow...there have been sooooooo many favorite books over the years that I can't remember. I'd really recommend the Caldecotts for the younger ones and the Newberys, Coretta Scott Kings and Mildred L. Batchelder award winners. The American Library Association has lots of lists of great books. Click here for children's resources (the lists are available under "other resources," toward the bottom). Click here for lists of good young adult titles.

As kids get older, we find it more challenging to read to them, that's for sure. Even when they become independent readers, it's good to still attempt to set aside some time to share a book.

Ah forgot to mention....ladirushfan80--love your list (love all of the lists, actually!)! Oh the places you'll go is a great book to give a grad. My former library director even read it to a group of graduating library science students at their celebration. That was also the theme of my daughter's high school graduation party. I didn't embarass her too badly when I read it to everyone. biggrin.gif

Shel Silverstein books are great. A couple of them are books of silly poetry and drawings that crack the kids up. "Where the Sidewalk Ends" is the title of one of them. "A Light in the Attic" is another.

But my personal favorite (and not just because I can read it in about 45 seconds flat...lol) has been mentioned several times, Good-Night Moon.

A kind of funny story about reading that book to my son when he was younger. I used to try to keep him involved in reading the book with me by letting him finish off the sentences. This, I thought, would be easy to do, because the words rhymed.

There's one part of the book that goes something like:

Good night socks (?), good night brush,

Good night little old lady whispering hush.

This is how this went with my 3 year old angel.

Mom (in a very soothing, calm, go to sleep voice):

Good night socks, good night brush,

Good night little old lady whispering......

Son (after pondering for about 10 seconds, in a yelling voice)

.....SHUT UP!!

Ahh, kids. You gotta love em.

Good thread.

Good night.

Cel

QUOTE (Celine @ Oct 24 2006, 12:44 AM)
A kind of funny story about reading that book to my son when he was younger. I used to try to keep him involved in reading the book with me by letting him finish off the sentences. This, I thought, would be easy to do, because the words rhymed.

We also read that one to our little ones. I know the part by heart; it actually goes:

Goodnight comb, goodnight brush,

Goodnight nobody, goodnight mush,

And goodnight to the old lady whispering hush.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 24 2006, 04:50 AM)
QUOTE (Celine @ Oct 24 2006, 12:44 AM)
A kind of funny story about reading that book to my son when he was younger.  I used to try to keep him involved in reading the book with me by letting him finish off the sentences.  This, I thought, would be easy to do, because the words rhymed.

We also read that one to our little ones. I know the part by heart; it actually goes:

Goodnight comb, goodnight brush,

Goodnight nobody, goodnight mush,

And goodnight to the old lady whispering hush.

Goodnight stars,

goodnight air,

goodnight noises everywhere.

trink39.gif

Well, I don't have any kids yet, but if I did, most likely I would pull out my massive collection of Berenstein Bears books. yes.gif

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Oct 24 2006, 09:38 PM)
Well, I don't have any kids yet, but if I did, most likely I would pull out my massive collection of Berenstein Bears books. yes.gif

aww yes, i remeber the good old day's of Berenstein Bears! those were awsome books!!!

we have a large collection of the little critter books, every now and then i read a few to my bro. they are also classics...

Ok! I'm opening an older thread but I need some help. I have the class read aloud coming up.

What is a good book for 2nd graders (7-8 yrs old) -that is good for boys and girls?

QUOTE (owlswing @ Jan 30 2007, 08:25 PM)
Ok! I'm opening an older thread but I need some help. I have the class read aloud coming up.

What is a good book for 2nd graders (7-8 yrs old) -that is good for boys and girls?

almost any Suess book

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 30 2007, 09:04 PM)

almost any Suess book

Thanks that what I thought would work too. I brought a few of those last time and they gave them a thumbs downs. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

That's why I need some new ideas. All we have other than those are fairy, princess and american girl books.

I'm stuck:huh:

QUOTE (owlswing @ Jan 30 2007, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 30 2007, 09:04 PM)

almost any Suess book

Thanks that what I thought would work too. I brought a few of those last time and they gave them a thumbs downs. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

That's why I need some new ideas. All we have other than those are fairy, princess and american girl books.

I'm stuck:huh:

when do you have to do this?

i will ask my girls...seeing that they are 16 & 14, it's been a LONG time since i read to them...and by the time they were 7 & 8, they were reading themselves...

but i'm sure i still have some of those books around...

a few i saved because i loved them so much!

OH! and my co-worker! he has a boy about that age!!

i'll see what he says today too!

i'll get back at cha later today ok?

owlswing, I read this book to my son's class...I think in 2nd grade, but even if it was 1st, I think 7-8 year olds would like it. It's really fun to read, esp. if you put on a fake cowboy accent.

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0807504572.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Armadilly Chili by Helen Ketteman

From Booklist

K-Gr. 3. Yee haw! This Texas-style takeoff on "The Little Red Hen" bubbles with southwestern flavor. Miss Billie Armadilly is hankerin' for a pot of hot armadilly chili but her friends--tarantula Tex, bluebird Mackie, and horned Taffy the toad--have excuses for not helping her gather a boxful of beetles, pick a peck of peppers, and chop prickly pear cactus. "No workin' with Billie, no sharin' the chili," is Miss Billie's retort when the smell of the bubbling chili brings her friends to her door, but the chili tastes flat until her buddies return bringing sacks of apologies and goodies; friends, it seems were the missing ingredient. Ketteman flavors the tale and message with plenty of pizzazz. Terry uses hot, intensely saturated, southwestern colors to spice the comedy, and embellishes each critter's characteristics with clever details, such as Tex's bolo tie. A surefire hit for the lap-sit crowd.