Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

My opinion of the record flew up after repeated listens.

Great record and it rewards repeated listens...no doubt.

But a couple of things I still stand by.

1) Illumination Theory is the weakest track (I don't count the intro overture to start the CD) and although I like it....it is not nearly one of their best long track (I consider 10 plus minutes a long track)

2) The snare......god man.....what happened with that?

8/10

Illumination Theory = Best track! IMO

My opinion of the record flew up after repeated listens.

Great record and it rewards repeated listens...no doubt.

But a couple of things I still stand by.

1) Illumination Theory is the weakest track (I don't count the intro overture to start the CD) and although I like it....it is not nearly one of their best long track (I consider 10 plus minutes a long track)

2) The snare......god man.....what happened with that?

8/10

Illumination Theory = Best track! IMO

Tick did you see Miguel Cotto beat up that journeyman at the weekend?

Illumination Theory is the weakest track (I don't count the intro overture to start the CD) and although I like it....it is not nearly one of their best long track (I consider 10 plus minutes a long track)

It's just ok. I was expecting so much more and I've given it a few listens now. Their best album since ToT for me (their heavy side is great).

I for one really like Illumination Theory. Right now it´s one of my favourites. The last vocal part is really great, it´s gonna sound amazing live.

Other great verses that I can´t wait to hear live are these ones from The Bigger Picture:

With each treasure found

Another shipwreck's washed ashore

I am carried by the current on a slow and steady course

AND

When I see the distant lights illuminate the night

Then I will know

I am home

Is anyone here on the Official Site Forum? Is it worthwhile?

I think I prefer the DT fans here, lol, this ginormous thread is a great example why. First rate entertainment! :LOL:

I was on the official site forum for a few weeks a couple of years back. It was kind of slow paced and didn't really have active off-topic subforums so I stopped going there.

I'm on DreamTheaterForums.org, the unofficial forum, which I post on frequently. I mostly just post in the General Discussion subforums though, as talking about one band gets boring pretty fast. There are quite a few very obsessive DT fans there, though. :LOL:

Is anyone here on the Official Site Forum? Is it worthwhile?

I think I prefer the DT fans here, lol, this ginormous thread is a great example why. First rate entertainment! :LOL:

I was on the official site forum for a few weeks a couple of years back. It was kind of slow paced and didn't really have active off-topic subforums so I stopped going there.

I'm on DreamTheaterForums.org, the unofficial forum, which I post on frequently. I mostly just post in the General Discussion subforums though, as talking about one band gets boring pretty fast. There are quite a few very obsessive DT fans there, though. :LOL:

Cheers Coldfire, will go and check it out soon :AlienSmiley:

^ Rodrigo, did Illumination Theory get better for you or were you blown away on first listen?

That last part for TBP is amazing, agreed. I'm going if they make it down under again, that's all there is to it.

I was blown away from the get go, especially due to the parts where James sings. The mid break is kind of a downer, but the ending is so epic that it´s worth going through it.

I´m actually on www.dreamtheaterforums.org as well - look me up, I´m "RodrigoAltaf" over there as well... :laughing guy:

Where do you live in Oz by the way? I lived in Perth for a long while, and had short stints in Canberra and flew in and out of Karratha as well - worked in the mines for some time.

• Like 1

It's Petrucci himself who says the track is a "tip of the hat" to Rush.

The Looking Glass

“The song is definitely a tip of the hat to Rush. We’re such fans – they’ve been a huge influence on us, and we continue to admire and look up to them. One of the great things about them is how they write really uplifting songs with positive messages, but they always sound cool.

“It’s really interesting. The Spirit Of Radio, Limelight – those are big, big songs with big arena-rock riffs in a major key. Even Free Will has that. The songs aren’t dark, but they’re tough. It’s really hard to write something that can cut both ways like that, but that was my goal.

“The Looking Glass has a few different stylistic changes: There’s the Rush arena-rock major riff, but the verses are tricky as far as time signatures, and the style is a little darker. The pre-choruses are very pretty and flowing – they're in half-time – and the choruses open up and get really hooky. From verse to pre-chorus to chorus to riff, you’ve got a lot of musical styles, and that helps to keep things interesting.”

http://m.musicradar....ck-583850/#next

Yup, that's what I was certainly getting on first listen. Thanks for posting that Tony...one of the most tasteful homages to Rush I've ever heard.

Definitely!

^ Rodrigo, did Illumination Theory get better for you or were you blown away on first listen?

That last part for TBP is amazing, agreed. I'm going if they make it down under again, that's all there is to it.

I was blown away from the get go, especially due to the parts where James sings. The mid break is kind of a downer, but the ending is so epic that it´s worth going through it.

I´m actually on www.dreamtheaterforums.org as well - look me up, I´m "RodrigoAltaf" over there as well... :laughing guy:

Where do you live in Oz by the way? I lived in Perth for a long while, and had short stints in Canberra and flew in and out of Karratha as well - worked in the mines for some time.

Try further south in lil' ol' New Zealand...but I'm used to crossing the ditch for shows, we often get chopped off. I have a feeling it will happen again on this tour although they have been down this far before. My previous neighbour used to work the mines in South Africa funnily enough, he was in management over there.

I will keep trying for this epic as so many here do like it. Perhaps I need to rest and come back to it after a few weeks.

Edited by Steevo

Try further south in lil' ol' New Zealand...but I'm used to crossing the ditch for shows, we often get chopped off. I have a feeling it will happen again on this tour although they have been down this far before. My previous neighbour used to work the mines in South Africa funnily enough, he was in management over there.

I will keep trying for this epic as so many here do like it. Perhaps I need to rest and come back to it after a few weeks.

Oh, cool! When I was ready to leave Australia back in January 2010 my wife and I decided to do one last trip through Oceania and went down to NZ. We flew to Auckland and drove all the way down to Queenstown and then back. It´s most likely the best trip we´ve ever done. I keep saying that Neil should write his next book about a trip to the Land of the Long White Cloud!

• Like 1

My wife hates DT, and one of the many times I tried to get her into the band was showing her Solitary Shell. She heard the first chords and said "now we´re talking: Peter Gabriel! Oh wait..." :D :D
  • Like 2

Did anyone notice the King Crimson throwback from Larks Tongues pt 2? I don't know the new song titles well enough yet to say which track it son but I was curious if anybody noticed it? I apologize if this was brought up before...