Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Sep 11 2011, 07:10 PM)
I'm beginning to think Dream Theater is better off without the dictator/cancer that is Portnoy.

Don't you mean DICKtator? tongue.gif

Don't get me wrong, i STILL respect Portnoy and everything he did for Dream Theater, but I'm not liking how he's already criticizing the new DT album. He no longer has any say in the band, so he really should not be saying anything about it. HE left the band on his own terms.

Edited by ALifeson85

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Sep 11 2011, 07:50 PM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ Sep 11 2011, 07:10 PM)
I'm beginning to think Dream Theater is better off without the dictator/cancer that is Portnoy.

Don't you mean DICKtator? tongue.gif

Don't get me wrong, i STILL respect Portnoy and everything he did for Dream Theater, but I'm not liking how he's already criticizing the new DT album. He no longer has any say in the band, so he really should not be saying anything about it. HE left the band on his own terms.

I feel like he feels pressured into commenting. No matter what he says, it will be a blabbermouth headline and torn apart. But I do agree with you folks. He could just give a no comment, or possibly say something entirely positive about the album. Im loving the album personally 1022.gif 653.gif trink39.gif

I just ran 10km and listened to the new album. I was a bit skeptical and not a huge fan, but after 2 listens I really dig it. I don't like it as much as their last album, but I honestly think DT has found a better groove and will likely attract newer fans now. Edited by barney_rebel

I think Portnoy has come to the conclusion that they will be fine without him and that more people will care about what Dream Theater does than any of the projects he is or will be involved in. So he's making childish comments rather than admitting his mistake.

While they didn't rewrite I&W, I can hear similarities which is what makes this album so good. The songs are long but they end when they should like on I&W and Awake. There's no useless wankering to make the songs go on forever for no reason, which I think has been the bands biggest problem over the last decade.

What's wrong with artists taking influence from their own work? It's better than completely ripping off somebody else's sound or leaving a band like Dream Theater to play drums for Avenged Sevenfold 062802puke_prv.gif

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 12 2011, 10:20 PM)
I think Portnoy has come to the conclusion that they will be fine without him and that more people will care about what Dream Theater does than any of the projects he is or will be involved in. So he's making childish comments rather than admitting his mistake.

While they didn't rewrite I&W, I can hear similarities which is what makes this album so good. The songs are long but they end when they should like on I&W and Awake. There's no useless wankering to make the songs go on forever for no reason, which I think has been the bands biggest problem over the last decade.

What's wrong with artists taking influence from their own work? It's better than completely ripping off somebody else's sound or leaving a band like Dream Theater to play drums for Avenged Sevenfold 062802puke_prv.gif

Well said.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 12 2011, 09:20 PM)

A Nightmare to Remember is about 2 or 3 minutes too long because of this very reason.

Well everyone......SURPRISE!!! I like it.

I knew I would from what I have heard being said. Honestly the only way I wouldn't have is if they went in a direction from there prog roots. Well, that didn't happen. This the most progressive album overall since Six Degrees, as many have said.

I won't say its better then this, or not as good as that at this point. Its too soon.

What I will say is the ebb and flow of the album works perfectly.

Jordans keys are perfect, not too much, just enough.

I love Jame's vocals on Beneath The Surface. He sounds great.

Breaking all Illusions = epic old school prog.

I love Lost Not Forgotten, Bridges In The Sky, amongst others.

Build Me Up, Break Me Down is very solo James sounding. Sounds like it should have been on Elements Of Persuasion. I like it. Its a fresh sounding DT song.

Well, so far, extremely pleased but did anyone think for a second I wouldn't be?

Nope. atickhum.gif

I give it 4 strips of bacon and a slice of pizza!

bacon.gif bacon.gif bacon.gif bacon.gif pizza.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 13 2011, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 13 2011, 06:20 PM)
I've just put the album on now too...

trink38.gif

AHHHHH.....but will it beat Tick's 4 bacon and a pizza rating????

The world holds it's breath.....

Oh I couldn't be bothered typing out a review, I'm only here to see arguments and and Portnoy bitching!

1287.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 13 2011, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 13 2011, 06:20 PM)
I've just put the album on now too...

trink38.gif

AHHHHH.....but will it beat Tick's 4 bacon and a pizza rating????

The world holds it's breath.....

Meaning the world will finally be free of the hiccups!

Do you like the album Ducky?

and where is my man, Metaldad!???!!???

I called him today and have not heard back yet. Its not cool he hasn't been around. Hope its just computer issues.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 13 2011, 03:33 PM)
Do you like the album Ducky?

and where is my man, Metaldad!???!!???
I called him today and have not heard back yet. Its not cool he hasn't been around. Hope its just computer issues.

Yeah I liked it.

I liked it better than another album I listened to afterwards, Darkology which sounds a little bit like a more metal Dream Theater...

I'm putting this right up there with 6DoIT. That's one...this is two. Tied with I&W for the moment. It's better than I thought it would be. I mean...it needed to be, and it delivered. These rankings tend to change over time. Almost have to have a year or so in the books to see how it all holds up...but this is good stuff.