Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Apart from the new album, there's a new release from DT in October!

"Eagle Rock Entertainment plan the DVD and BD release of several interesting titles scheduled for various October dates. On October 18, watch for Live At Budokan featuringDream Theater, scheduled currently as a Blu-ray release (BD), and Mindcrime At The Moore, a BD release featuring Queensryche."

Source

QUOTE (Oracle @ Aug 17 2011, 10:24 PM)

"Eagle Rock Entertainment plan the DVD and BD release of several interesting titles scheduled for various October dates. On October 18, watch for Live At Budokan featuringDream Theater, scheduled currently as a Blu-ray release (BD), and Mindcrime At The Moore, a BD release featuring Queensryche."

Source

Sounds like a BD re-release of the DVD they put out for the ToT tour... still cool all the same.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 18 2011, 12:23 AM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Aug 17 2011, 10:24 PM)

"Eagle Rock Entertainment plan the DVD and BD release of several interesting titles scheduled for various October dates.  On October 18, watch for Live At Budokan featuringDream Theater, scheduled currently as a Blu-ray release (BD), and Mindcrime At The Moore, a BD release featuring Queensryche."

Source

Sounds like a BD re-release of the DVD they put out for the ToT tour... still cool all the same.

Hopefully it's fully remastered for BD standards and not the DVD cut simply burned onto Blu-Ray.

The one song from the new Arch- Matheos album that i heard sounds better than the 4 songs i heard from D.T. I am still hoping.

i dislike that song but it did sound good. pretty true to the studio version IMO.

i keep waiting for a change in sound big or small now that MP is gone and just don't hear one yet from the new live material or the snippets from ADTOE.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 24 2011, 12:36 PM)
DT playing Peruvian Skies live at High Voltage 2011. Honestly, the best the whole band (especially James) has sounded in years, and they look so much happier without Portnoy on stage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdBeeph0aFM

You know, the backing vox sound better. Did they implement some new vocal effect?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 24 2011, 01:07 PM)
DT playing Peruvian Skies live at High Voltage 2011.  Honestly, the best the whole band (especially James) has sounded in years, and they look so much happier without Portnoy on stage.

You know, the backing vox sound better. Did they implement some new vocal effect?

yeah, they got rid of portnoy laugh.gif

DT playing Peruvian Skies live at High Voltage 2011. Honestly, the best the whole band (especially James) has sounded in years, and they look so much happier without Portnoy on stage.

Wow ohmy.gif

They sound f***ing fantastic..

Especially JLB yes.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 24 2011, 11:49 AM)
i keep waiting for a change in sound big or small now that MP is gone and just don't hear one yet from the new live material or the snippets from ADTOE.

Same problem for me. I also want to add that i think it Sucks they are doing a Drum Solo . Really ? A f-n drum solo ? Not 2 extra songs, a drum solo.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 24 2011, 02:33 PM)

Same problem for me. I also want to add that i think it Sucks they are doing a Drum Solo . Really ? A f-n drum solo ? Not 2 extra songs, a drum solo.

Well, they just hired one of the best (if not the absolute greatest) living drummers, so obviously they want to showcase his skills. Mangini is accomplished enough that he doesn't have anything to prove, so it's almost 100% definitely the band's decision to include a drum solo in the program. Don't see what's so horrible or off-base about this, it will probably only last a tour or two anyway. Plus, Mangini is of such great musical and technical caliber that he can actually keep a drum solo interesting.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 24 2011, 01:42 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 24 2011, 02:33 PM)

Well, they just hired one of the best (if not the absolute greatest) living drummers, so obviously they want to showcase his skills. Mangini is accomplished enough that he doesn't have anything to prove, so it's almost 100% definitely the band's decision to include a drum solo in the program. Don't see what's so horrible or off-base about this, it will probably only last a tour or two anyway. Plus, Mangini is of such great musical and technical caliber that he can actually keep a drum solo interesting.

It was def the bands idea and if drum solos were not done to death then i would not have a problem, but they are. The only people i care to see a solo from is Cobham, Chambers or Bozzio. Most d.t. fans prob know who he is and have seen his solos on youtube a billion times .

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 24 2011, 11:36 AM)

James sounds great here. Playing the same set every night will no doubt help him sing better. It was cool when they used to switch it up every night but it couldn't have been good for his voice to not know what he would be signing each performance.