A Different Kind of Truth vs later Van Hagar albums

Van Halen poll: A Different Kind of Truth runs the post-1986 Van Hagar gauntlet  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you prefer?

• A Different Kind of Truth
    • OU812
  2. 2. Which album is better?

• For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
  3. 3. Which album do you like better?

• Balance

Inspired by your post, I'm listening to Truth right now.  Tattoo sucks balls.  Being an unreleased classic-era VH track, She's The Woman of course kicks ass musically.  Dave raggedy vocals suck balls.

The poll forced me to pick between Truth and Balance, when the best response is none of the above. 

Van Hagar's 0U812 and Carnal destroy Ragged Halen.

• Like 4

I yield to no one in my love of classic VH.  I can enjoy Truth, but I probably haven't listed to it in more than a decade.  While classic VH is exponentially better than Van Hagar, I also love the Van Hagar albums, ridiculous lyrics notwithstanding.  OU812, For Unlawful and Balance are way better than Truth.

• Like 5

This is a tricky poll for me. I really do like OU812 (there are only really 2 average songs on the album) so it leaves ADKOT in the dust for me. Carnal is another matter. I loved it at the time of its release but it has aged badly. When I'm in the mood for it I love listening to it but I'm rarely in the mood nowadays. I like ADKOT despite the fact Chaz Bono is on bass and not the god that is Michael Anthony. Balance is, imo, a copper-bottomed turd. 

I am still unsure as to how I will vote.

• Like 1

I started this thread after the recent spats between DLR and Wolfie over various stuff like kicking Dave's gal pals out of the building at certain gigs etc. And more pertinently the fact that A Different Kind of Truth is no longer available to download, which Wolfie was complaining about (probably because it's the one he plays on), he said Dave doesn't like it. Roth responded by saying that the album is like Ali's fights against Larry Holmes and Trevor Berbick, no one wants to remember it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Turbine Freight said:

This is a tricky poll for me. I really do like OU812 (there are only really 2 average songs on the album) so it leaves ADKOT in the dust for me. Carnal is another matter. I loved it at the time of its release but it has aged badly. When I'm in the mood for it I love listening to it but I'm rarely in the mood nowadays. I like ADKOT despite the fact Chaz Bono is on bass and not the god that is Michael Anthony. Balance is, imo, a copper-bottomed turd. 

I am still unsure as to how I will vote.

I'm the same, that's why I didn't vote yet. Balance is the easy one, it's the worst of this bunch, but the others are difficult. 

• Like 2

OU812

f**k

ADKOT

I saw Van Halen on all four tours to support the listed albums.  They were awful on the Balance tour.   Not a fan of Balance either.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, custom55 said:

OU812

f**k

ADKOT

I saw Van Halen on all four tours to support the listed albums.  They were awful on the Balance tour.   Not a fan of Balance either.

I saw them on all those tours except Balance. They killed it on OU812 & Carnal. ADKOT was, if I'm honest, a poor facsimile of a once great band.

• Like 2

They had some solid archive material on ADKOT but the magic wasn't really there anymore and the new material and modern production ideas just watered it down. Dave's voice was shot as well and the final product is very compressed and harsh-sounding. And the archive material while decent was left in the vault for a reason anyway. I like the album but it seems like just a cash-in album now by a band fresh out of good new ideas. 

Roth said the contract had expired on the steaming deal and it wasn't worth it for him and Alex to hire lawyers to negotiate a new deal just for this one album.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

They had some solid archive material on ADKOT but the magic wasn't really there anymore and the new material and modern production ideas just watered it down. Dave's voice was shot as well and the final product is very compressed and harsh-sounding. And the archive material while decent was left in the vault for a reason anyway. I like the album but it seems like just a cash-in album now by a band fresh out of good new ideas. 

Roth said the contract had expired on the steaming deal and it wasn't worth it for him and Alex to hire lawyers to negotiate a new deal just for this one album.

I think "steaming deal" pretty much sums up that album.

• Haha 2

Balance has one, maybe two decent songs (Aftershock and Seventh Seal), but the rest is pretty bad.

My one defense of Truth is that Eddie and Alex sound fantastic. Some absolute fire on there, but Dave is cooked. There's a few good songs. Beats Workin, China Town, She's The Woman.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I yield to no one in my love of classic VH.  I can enjoy Truth, but I probably haven't listed to it in more than a decade.  While classic VH is exponentially better than Van Hagar, I also love the Van Hagar albums, ridiculous lyrics notwithstanding.  OU812, For Unlawful and Balance are way better than Truth.

I voted, I think you know how that went.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

I voted, I think you know how that went.

8 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

You voted for Giuffria  over Van Halen?

Don't be silly, why would I do that?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I will say that I saw Sammy and Mike in 2019.  Sammy sounded better then than Dave did on the atrocious live VH album from about a decade earlier.

I wish there was an official live release of the 07-08 tour with Dave. The YouTube footage I can find is night and day better than that horrible live album. There were moments where he'd actually sing in key.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

You voted for Giuffria  over Van Halen?

I was making my new avatar when you were typing that out, strange how the world works sometimes.

ADKOT easily better than all those records.

Though I will say OU812 has some great shit on it. And that tour was the first concert I ever saw. THAT changed my life. Incredible.

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is half good.

Balance is mostly terrible.

ADKOT is a band reignited. You and Your Blues is the best VH song since 5150.