"Cocaine" - J.J. Cale or Eric Clapton version?

Charlotte7598

J.J. Cale vs. Eric Clapton - "Cocaine"  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of the song "Cocaine" do you prefer?

• J.J. Cale - the OG!
    • Clapton all the way!

4 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I didn't know there was another version besides Clapton's.

Yeah, it wasn't really on my radar either.  His original version is great, though.  So is this one...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I didn't know there was another version besides Clapton's.

A lot of people don't, I did not until relatively recently. This in my humble opinion is a testament to the fact that Clapton's version is more memorable. :imo::LOL:

Edited by Charlotte7598

7 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Vile?

He made some racist in the past and more recently had some 'conspiracy theories' about Covid, and rants about lock-down.

Methinks at times old Eric would be better keeping his gob shut!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Charlotte7598 said:

I hate when musicians I like are bad people. It just upsets me in ways I can't explain.

The only reason I even bring this up is-

Clapton has went out of his way to share his worst thoughts. The documentation is out there.

He got a lot of public sympathy for the death of his child. The music industry benefitted from that. He could have learned to be more warm to people from that experience. But he didn't............

He was a standout guitar player for his era, but time marched along and he was overshadowed.

I don't want to say who this person is, but I met another guitar player that hit his professional peak in the early 1970s and he was rude to me. I didn't do anything (I don't scream at or beat up old men) but....THAT guy is a racist and he pretty much confirmed it when I shook his hand. 

The majority of musicians are decent people. Unfortunately, Eric Clapton stopped mentally evolving in the late 1960s.

Edited by BigMontanaSKY

JJ for me.  

Clapton in Cream and Blind Faith, great.  Clapton solo, meh.   The only solo Clapton album I every bought was 461 Ocean Blvd, which is a great album.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, zepphead said:

He made some racist in the past and more recently had some 'conspiracy theories' about Covid, and rants about lock-down.

Methinks at times old Eric would be better keeping his gob shut!

The Birmingham incident was 47 years ago.  It may not have been the only time, but it was the only time reported.  He was drunk on stage.  So yeah, let's keep holding that against him.

He did have a terrible reaction to the Astra Zeneca shots.  So bad, he thought he might never play guitar again.  He was assured the shots were safe.  He got the shots.  He had a reaction to them that almost ended his career.  He did what he was supposed to do, and it almost ruined the thing that he is most identified with.  But he's just supposed to keep his gob shut like a good little boy?  And in late 2023, we all know that the lockdowns were an extreme over reaction.  We also all now know ( or we should all know) that the "vaccines" don't keep anyone from getting Covid, they don't prevent you from getting sick, and they don't prevent you from spreading Covid, either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maverick said:

The Birmingham incident was 47 years ago.  It may not have been the only time, but it was the only time reported.  He was drunk on stage.  So yeah, let's keep holding that against him.

He did have a terrible reaction to the Astra Zeneca shots.  So bad, he thought he might never play guitar again.  He was assured the shots were safe.  He got the shots.  He had a reaction to them that almost ended his career.  He did what he was supposed to do, and it almost ruined the thing that he is most identified with.  But he's just supposed to keep his gob shut like a good little boy?  And in late 2023, we all know that the lockdowns were an extreme over reaction.  We also all now know ( or we should all know) that the "vaccines" don't keep anyone from getting Covid, they don't prevent you from getting sick, and they don't prevent you from spreading Covid, either.

I was only stating what he had said. Drunk or not, he said what he said. Being drunk doesn't make it all right.

Regarding lockdowns and vaccines ..... thank God we had the lockdowns (not an over-reaction, but rather a very necessary precaution), and the vaccines which saved countless lives, otherwise here in the UK we would have had even more deaths than the tragic number that did occur.. So yes, regarding the Covid issues, IMO he talked complete sh*te and should have kept his mouth shut.. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, zepphead said:

I was only stating what he had said. Drunk or not, he said what he said. Being drunk doesn't make it all right.

Regarding lockdowns and vaccines ..... thank God we had the lockdowns (not an over-reaction, but rather a very necessary precaution), and the vaccines which saved countless lives, otherwise here in the UK we would have had even more deaths than the tragic number that did occur.

Data doesn't back that up.  

:smile:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Maverick said:

Everyone has individual reactions to the vaccines.  Ask me how I know.  I can't agree with every statement you've made.  Clapton was a heavy drug and alcohol user for over 20 years and the changes this caused in his individual immune system are difficult to separate from a reaction to the vaccine. The liver is a huge, front line immune organ.  Indeed, the drug and alcohol immune system effects may have been there for years and triggered by the vaccine for some reason.  He wasn't 100 percent guaranteed the shots are safe, they don't say that to anyone. He, or his medical advisor, didn't read the fine print. He can blame the vaccine all he wants, and what he went through is horrible; I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  However, there's probably not a huge cohort of aging world's top guitar players that were heavy substance abusers for 20+ years, sober for 33 years, that got that batch of Astra Zeneca vaccine at the same time, so we don't really have a comparison group.  He has too much going on with his body to 100 percent blame the vaccine. We'll never know.

EI0VKY1l.png

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, blueschica said:

Everyone has individual reactions to the vaccines.  Ask me how I know.  I can't agree with every statement you've made.  Clapton was a heavy drug and alcohol user for over 20 years and the changes this caused in his individual immune system are difficult to separate from a reaction to the vaccine. The liver is a huge, front line immune organ.  Indeed, the drug and alcohol immune system effects may have been there for years and triggered by the vaccine for some reason.  He wasn't 100 percent guaranteed the shots are safe, they don't say that to anyone. He, or his medical advisor, didn't read the fine print. He can blame the vaccine all he wants, and what he went through is horrible; I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  However, there's probably not a huge cohort of aging world's top guitar players that were heavy substance abusers for 20+ years, sober for 33 years, that got that batch of Astra Zeneca vaccine at the same time, so we don't really have a comparison group.  He has too much going on with his body to 100 percent blame the vaccine. We'll never know.

EI0VKY1l.png

Thank you blueschica for this detailed and very informative post. Gosh! i didn't mean  a simple post about EC's opinions to escalate this way lol!

All i am trying to say is ... when you are in a position of influence (eg. EC) comments you make (in particular about things like vaccines)  can be very very dangerous.

Look, I have a  connection to all this .... An uncle of mine (God love him, he was always a maverick!!) took a stance that vaccines were an infringement on civil liberties, and that lock downs

were wrong.  He died  in November 2020 ..... from Covid.

1 hour ago, zepphead said:

Thank you blueschica for this detailed and very informative post. Gosh! i didn't mean  a simple post about EC's opinions to escalate this way lol!

All i am trying to say is ... when you are in a position of influence (eg. EC) comments you make (in particular about things like vaccines)  can be very very dangerous.

Look, I have a  connection to all this .... An uncle of mine (God love him, he was always a maverick!!) took a stance that vaccines were an infringement on civil liberties, and that lock downs

were wrong.  He died  in November 2020 ..... from Covid.

Ohh, I'm so sorry to hear that! Hugs to you and your family. Yes, as adult I worked in the public library for a long time, but a high school friend was more interested in science and got a PhD in microbiology and ended up working in immunology at the US National Institutes of Health.  Her updates and communications throughout the pandemic have been helpful to me. She's one of those people that's very good at putting technical science into regular people terms. Yes, I agree,  neither EC or the football player Aaron Rodgers is a public health expert so I'm not real excited to hear them on that subject.  (I put up a merch photo in the evening with Geddy thread, hope you get something fun!)

• Like 1