WHAT?! You Haven't Seen.....?!

Principled Man

Just got off the phone with my niece in Tennessee.  She's 30, and she told me about her honeymoon plans.  She and the fiancé are going to Boston and other places in Massachusetts.    

Me:  Are you going to see "The Bench"?

Niece:  Huh?

Me:  The Bench!  From "Good Will Hunting"...!

Niece:  Umm....I haven't seen that.

Me:  WHAT?!  You haven't seen Good Will Hunting?!!  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:  Cancel whatever you're watching tonight, and watch GOOD WILL HUNTING. 

Niece:  [laughing] OK.... 

She also hasn't seen The Sixth Sense.  What do I do with this girl??!!  :laugh:  Her fiancé has seen both films, so I barked at him, "NO SPOILERS!"   

Has anyone else been shocked to learn that someone hasn't seen a certain popular film, or is it just me?  It's probably just me.  :wink: 

• Like 2

As for me, I've never seen Titanic, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, or Top Gun.  I think there's something fun in being a little bit contrary when the crowd is rushing to see something.

Good Will Hunting and The Sixth Sense do seem like important movies, though! 

• Like 3

Quite a few years ago I went with my wife to a work outing and the admin person for their section literally and honestly didn't know who Tom Cruise was. She was in her early 60's and he'd had been in many movies. Several of us just looked at each other in disbelief. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

Quite a few years ago I went with my wife to a work outing and the admin person for their section literally and honestly didn't know who Tom Cruise was. She was in her early 60's and he'd had been in many movies. Several of us just looked at each other in disbelief. 

That’s a good one!  Today, his name and face are everywhere.  Do people even know the names of the characters he plays these days?  They go to the cinema and they watch Tom Cruise …

I didn't see The Godfather until I was in my 30s. I don't think I have ever seen Good Will Hunting. Although I know a lot of the more well known dialogue from it since people have quoted it through the years.

I have never seen any of the Harry Potter films.

23 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Around the turn of the century, my wife told me she never saw Carpenter's 'The Thing'.   :facepalm:

Did you advise her to leave The Thing alone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was that way with tv series in the 80's, never watched Cheers or Hill Street Blues.  The only time I watched Dallas was to see the episode when JR got shot after all the hype about it.  Trying to stay current on it all is exhausting, there are just only so many hours in the day.  I've got more important things to do, like check in here at TRF :wink:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mithrandir said:

I have never watched the Godfather part 2.  Not a huge fan of the Godfather, but do recognize it's brilliance in film making.

You prefer Money Pit, don't you, Peter Griffin. :laugh: "It insists upon itself, Lois!"

You're not missing much with 3, though.  Believe the hype about Sofia's awful performance.  I've only seen the recent director's cut, not the theatrical.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

You prefer Money Pit, don't you, Peter Griffin. :laugh: "It insists upon itself, Lois!"

You're not missing much with 3, though.  Believe the hype about Sofia's awful performance.  I've only seen the recent director's cut, not the theatrical.

Part 3 failed for many reasons.  The film had no chance of having the same gravitas with just Michael and Connie left.  All the other major characters were gone.  There was no good connection for audiences to make with the previous two films.  Sofia Coppola was awful.  The climactic scene on the steps of the opera house was horribly over-dramatic.  It was simply a shallow and pale attempt to recapture the magic of the first two films.  Just my opinion, of course.      

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Part 3 failed for many reasons.  The film had no chance of having the same gravitas with just Michael and Connie left.  All the other major characters were gone.  There was no good connection for audiences to make with the previous two films.  Sofia Coppola was awful.  The climactic scene on the steps of the opera house was horribly over-dramatic.  It was simply a shallow and pale attempt to recapture the magic of the first two films.  Just my opinion, of course.      

No, you're right about all that.

12 hours ago, Principled Man said:

I read Duvall wasn’t fond of producers offering him a cheaper salary compared to Pacino and Keaton.  Pity he did a worse movie for Paramount if that’s possible, Days of Thunder.  Even Tony Scott disowned it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that unsettling scene between Sofia and Andy Garcia.

5 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

No, you're right about all that.

It's such a shame...because the essential story - the Corleones rising in power to the extent that they are in bed with the Vatican - is really good.  The way Coppola weaves a story around the untimely death of Pope John Paul I and gives it sinister implications is really masterful.  To me it's just one of the great lost opportunities in cinema ...not that anyone needed a third part - it ends perfectly with part II.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metallithrax said:

I've never seen Good Will Hunting either.  Or many other popular films I would imagine.

First R rated movie I saw without any adult supervision in theaters since I had just turned 17.

Strangely enough, Birdcage was my first R in a theater.  Mom was strict with theaters but pre viewed movies on video got an okay in my teen years like The Firm and In the Line of Fire.

38 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

First R rated movie I saw without any adult supervision in theaters since I had just turned 17.

Strangely enough, Birdcage was my first R in a theater.  Mom was strict with theaters but pre viewed movies on video got an okay in my teen years like The Firm and In the Line of Fire.

Pulp Fiction was the first R rated movie I saw in the theater. My friend and I weren't old enough yet but my brother was so he took us.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Pulp Fiction was the first R rated movie I saw in the theater. My friend and I weren't old enough yet but my brother was so he took us.

I did that for my mother’s friend’s daughter since she was 2 years younger.  I got her in to seeing Cruel Intentions, American Pie and some forgotten comedy called Outside Providence.

7 hours ago, metallithrax said:

A few others i can think of that i haven't seen

Any of the Lord of the rings/Hobbit films

Any of the Pirates of the Caribbean films

Star Wars, apart from original three

I've only seen parts of the first POTC at someone's house on new years just when it came out on video.  I haven't seen the last LOTR and the last two Hobbits.  Latter is more understandable since it's a cash grab compared to LOTR.

It took me years to see all of Top Gun in a sitting through a Rifftrax commentary.  Saw some of it on The Movie Channel as a kid and parts on those Turner cable networks until recently.