The Official 2023 MLB Thread

Nova Carmina

4 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

Dodgers, lol.  The Codgers have had 10 seasons in which they won 100+ games, including 2023.

In those seasons they have won zero World Series.

Yeah, their only recent Series win was in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season, but they did have the best record in the league that year. They were the only team to finish with a winning percentage over .700 (43–17, .717).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Yeah, their only recent Series win was in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season, but they did have the best record in the league that year. They were the only team to finish with a winning percentage over .700 (43–17, .717).

Dodgers are the Dave Winfield of MLB franchises

9 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

2 hours ago, goose said:

Dodgers are the Dave Winfield of MLB franchises

The Braves were like that back in the '90s and early '00s. Fourteen straight (!!!) division titles, five NL pennants, but only one Series win. I know the Yankees got in their way a lot back then, but that Atlanta team had one of the best pitching staffs in recent memory and they should have won more titles.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

The Braves were like that back in the '90s and early '00s. Fourteen straight (!!!) division titles, five NL pennants, but only one Series win. I know the Yankees got in their way a lot back then, but that Atlanta team had one of the best pitching staffs in recent memory and thy should have won more titles.

As great as Maddux was in the regular season, his post season record was spotty, though not to the point of being Kershavian.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Bye bye Atlanta.  Should have listened to some more Creed, I guess.

Haven't they suffered enough?

Baseball is a day-in-day-out game and it's maybe not so great if most of the bye-round teams (the best regular season teams) get bounced in the division series. Cinderella stories (go Arizona!, I guess) are fun precisely because they're rare. But will baseball care? Is it enough just to say "the best team is the team that wins"?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Baseball is a day-in-day-out game and it's maybe not so great if most of the bye-round teams (the best regular season teams) get bounced in the division series.

If they’re the best teams, then they should prove it by winning those series.   They even get home field advantage.  Everything is set up to help them win, so when they don’t, it is totally on them.  The playoff system is working just fine.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Principled Man said:

If they’re the best teams, then they should prove it by winning those series.   They even get home field advantage.  Everything is set up to help them win, so when they don’t, it is totally on them.  The playoff system is working just fine.  

:goodone:

I see there being proposals to eliminate the byes.  This would help out the best regular season teams by...forcing them to play another very short series where elimination is a real possibility.

Someone didn't think this through very well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, laughedatbytime said:

:goodone:

I see there being proposals to eliminate the byes.  This would help out the best regular season teams by...forcing them to play another very short series where elimination is a real possibility.

Someone didn't think this through very well.

I was going to point out that if there were fewer rounds/teams then the series wouldn't have to be so short, but A) I know there's no way in hell MLB will cut into that cash spigot outside of a court order or Congressional threat to the antitrust exemption, and B) I think you could have given the Braves, Dodgers, Twins, and Orioles a best of nine, and they would still have lost!

1 hour ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-playoff-predictions-from-mlb-experts

Playoff predictions from  back on Oct 7th.

DAVID VENN (Should draw up a new diagram) :biggrin:  :biggrin:

ALDS: TEX-BAL, Orioles in 4
ALDS: MIN-HOU, Twins in 4
NLDS: PHI-ATL, Braves in 5
NLDS: ARI-LAD, Dodgers in 4

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

Cue Maxwell Smart...Missed it by that much!

"The teams with the five best records during the regular season went a combined 1-13 (!) in the postseason."

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Venn vill be here all ze veek  :laugh2: 

• Haha 1

On 10/13/2023 at 7:03 AM, Nova Carmina said:

Haven't they suffered enough?

Baseball is a day-in-day-out game and it's maybe not so great if most of the bye-round teams (the best regular season teams) get bounced in the division series. Cinderella stories (go Arizona!, I guess) are fun precisely because they're rare. But will baseball care? Is it enough just to say "the best team is the team that wins"?

The network execs hung themselves weeks ago…

• The topic was unpinned