The Official 2023 MLB Thread

Nova Carmina

11 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Hey now! The Royals are playing a lot better recently!

They are, and Bobby Witt Jr is a stud.  But still, you've won 40 games total.

9 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

Grand slam, triple play and still losing a game because the front office of Farte and Perry is full of anti pitching low IQ morons.

That triple play was sweet. :yes:

16 hours ago, goose said:

That triple play was sweet. :yes:

I thought the runner at 3rd blew it by hesitating.  He should’ve sprinted home right away on the grounder to SS.    It wasn’t a very hard hit.  

The Brewers’ play by play announcer, Brian Anderson, made an “inner thigh” joke…..on the air, during the game…..:ohmy:  :laugh:

1 hour ago, invisible airwave said:

Devil Hernandez:  I will make the worst call today.
Valentine:  Hold my beer.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/08/20/yankees-red-sox-bad-call-by-umpire-ripped-by-mlb-fans

Worst call ever.....EVER.  

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 12:43 PM, Principled Man said:

I thought the runner at 3rd blew it by hesitating.  He should’ve sprinted home right away on the grounder to SS.    It wasn’t a very hard hit.  

Didn't the SS check him, though?

It was so hot and humid in Milwaukee, the home plate ump couldn't carry any extra baseballs.  The two bags on his hips were soaked!   

The other umps had to hold the extra baseballs for him.  I've never seen that before.    

10-inning game, 3.5 hours long.  Walk-off hero Brice Turang enjoyed the icy Gatorade bath....

• Like 1

#19 Payroll swept the #3 Payroll  7-3, 5-4, 10-6 

Manny Machado let his bat do the talking....on the dugout Gatorade cooler....:laugh: 

Why'd the Angels expose most of their vets to waivers?  From fangraphs:

"The former (penalties for comp picks upon losing free agents) is especially pertinent for the Angels, who we have exceeding the $233 million luxury tax by what basically amounts to a rounding error of a little under $1.5 million. There will surely be enough of these players claimed to take them under that mark — the group as a whole is due about $6.44 million for the rest of the year, but Giolito alone would do it. Being under the luxury tax threshold eliminates all associated penalties, meaning the 2024 compensation pick they’ll receive if Shohei Ohtani signs elsewhere would come after the second round of the draft, rather than coming after the fourth round as it would if they were a luxury tax payor."

16 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Why'd the Angels expose most of their vets to waivers?  From fangraphs:

"The former (penalties for comp picks upon losing free agents) is especially pertinent for the Angels, who we have exceeding the $233 million luxury tax by what basically amounts to a rounding error of a little under $1.5 million. There will surely be enough of these players claimed to take them under that mark — the group as a whole is due about $6.44 million for the rest of the year, but Giolito alone would do it. Being under the luxury tax threshold eliminates all associated penalties, meaning the 2024 compensation pick they’ll receive if Shohei Ohtani signs elsewhere would come after the second round of the draft, rather than coming after the fourth round as it would if they were a luxury tax payor."

So it's an elaborate draft strategy, I guess. There's been buzz around the Royals snagging Giolito, but he's in the last year of his deal, so what's the point, really?

21 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

So it's an elaborate draft strategy, I guess. There's been buzz around the Royals snagging Giolito, but he's in the last year of his deal, so what's the point, really?

If they're going to avoid 100 losses by going 22-5 the rest of the year, they've got to start somewhere... and fast!

• Haha 1

• The topic was unpinned