The Official 2023 MLB Thread

Nova Carmina

On 7/24/2023 at 10:23 PM, Principled Man said:

Brewers 3

Reds 2

Brewers were 1 for 15 with RISP until Yelich hit a walkoff single to right.  :ohmy:

Strikeouts, bad base running, double plays….a hair-pulling win is still a win!  :biggrin:

Brewers finish the series with the Reds 10-3.  The Reds are definitely happy to be free of them! 

Ending the season series against a division rival in July is ridiculous.  The two teams are a narrow 1-2 in the NL Central.      

28 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

You guys gonna trade Ohtani or not?

Some teams need him more than he needs them. Looks at LAST PLACE evil empire.  Last place evil empire.  I just want to post that again because it feels sooooo good. :laugh:

If he ever gets traded, I can see the Mets getting him since Billy Eppler (good riddance) was my team's GM.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

Some teams need him more than he needs them. Looks at LAST PLACE evil empire.  Last place evil empire.  I just want to post that again because it feels sooooo good. :laugh:

If he ever gets traded, I can see the Mets getting him since Billy Eppler (good riddance) was my team's GM.

Ohtani has been taken off the trading block, for now at least.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rumors-trades-and-signings?t=trades-and-transactions

• Like 1

14 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

How SWEEP it is!  On to Geddy's team!

rB4Hux7.gif

Oddly enough, Tigers are her home team since she's from that area.  She's a huge Red Wings fan from what I've read.

I guess if you're going to hold on to him for another two or three months, you might as well grind him into dust while you can!

• Like 1

The Cardinals' Miles Mikolas retaliates against a batter the right way, with an off-speed pitch down low, still gets tossed from the game because MLB umps love injustice.

• Haha 1

You did see the pitch before that, right?

The contact on the backswing was inarguably unintentional.

I know I'm biased but most of the commentary on this I've seen from more independent sources has come down against the Cardinals.

20 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

You did see the pitch before that, right?

The contact on the backswing was inarguably unintentional.

I know I'm biased but most of the commentary on this I've seen from more independent sources has come down against the Cardinals.

I did see the pitch before that, but it clearly failed to deliver on the significance of the original offense. I don't know how it's "inarguable" when that's not Happ's usual follow-through on the backswing -- if it were it would be more frequent. Arguably,1 he was trying to get in Contreras's head and make him change his stance. 

No doubt a lot of the commentary has been biased by ancestral jealousies!

1 First, I'm sure I've used superscripts here before, but now I can't remember how! Second, I'm not really arguing this because I'm a reasonable person who knows accidents happen, but it's fun to see how a person could, if he wanted to. Third, some of the commentary is probably directed at the Cardinals' broadcast, which acted as though this was the worst thing to happen since the Bubonic Plague.

18 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

I did see the pitch before that, but it clearly failed to deliver on the significance of the original offense. I don't know how it's "inarguable" when that's not Happ's usual follow-through on the backswing -- if it were it would be more frequent. Arguably,1 he was trying to get in Contreras's head and make him change his stance. 

No doubt a lot of the commentary has been biased by ancestral jealousies!

1 First, I'm sure I've used superscripts here before, but now I can't remember how! Second, I'm not really arguing this because I'm a reasonable person who knows accidents happen, but it's fun to see how a person could, if he wanted to. Third, some of the commentary is probably directed at the Cardinals' broadcast, which acted as though this was the worst thing to happen since the Bubonic Plague.

I'm not sure I've ever used subscripts, but I do know certain key strokes create subscripts "see Best Fans in Baseball (tm)" with the tm in parentheses.

While it's not usually Happ's backswing, it's within the range of backswings he's made.    Happ still considers himself a friend of Contreras, they hugged when he left the game. and the text conversation after the game contained no accusation of intentionality so I think it's virtually certain that it was unintentional.    The color guy on the Cubs' broadcast brought up that Mikolas may have done what he did because it was reported that the Cardinal pitching staff did not like throwing to Contreras and that in fact, Contreras was closer to Happ than he was to Mikolas (of course that's all speculative.)    But I feel as confident as possible that it was an unintentional act, in large part because of the severity of it (concussions are nothing to scoff at, it's ended the career and had lifetime effects on catchers long after retirement, Mike Matheny being an example), so if it was intentional Happ should be suspended a minimum of 10 games and that would be completely out of character for Happ, that's taking animus WAY too far.

• Like 1

Things you don’t see every day:

The Braves’ Acuna takes off from 2nd to steal 3rd, but the batter pops it up behind first.  
Acuna stops just past 3rd, but doesn’t re-tag the bag on the way back to 2nd.  
Brewers appeal….he’s OUT!  :laugh:

12 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Excessive. It was just baseball stuff; it's not like he hit him in the helmet!

I hate to agree, but I do.   Then again, for SPs you can appeal if the player is good enough, you might be able to set the rotation up better by dropping the appeal on a timely basis.

And it's not like the Cardinals are short on starting pitching; I'm sure there's a plethora of quality candidates to take his place... :wink:

13 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

I hate to agree, but I do.   Then again, for SPs you can appeal if the player is good enough, you might be able to set the rotation up better by dropping the appeal on a timely basis.

And it's not like the Cardinals are short on starting pitching; I'm sure there's a plethora of quality candidates to take his place... :wink:

I'll ignore the snark!  A five-game suspension for a pitcher is a different matter than it would be a position player, but does it amount to a fine of 5/162 of his salary? I suppose a suspension of 25 games (five starts) would seem absurd . . . 

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

I'll ignore the snark!  A five-game suspension for a pitcher is a different matter than it would be a position player, but does it amount to a fine of 5/162 of his salary? I suppose a suspension of 25 games (five starts) would seem absurd . . . 

Good question.   I guess since they can rearrange the rotation, A pitcher could end up not losing a start.  If they just skipped the spot in the rotation then 1/32ds would reflect the time lost.   If they just started him the day after the suspension, then maybe 1/162nds would be appropriate.

I think the Cardinals are using up all of their bad luck in one season.   They do need pitching and if they get a great offer for Goldy or Nolan they should take it but they should be contenders if not favorites in the division next year if they stand pat and maybe pick up some pitching in the offseason.

They should, however, take the next two games to showcase Taylor Motter to show the world what he can do.   Someone tell Marmol he can get more ABs by hitting him leadoff for max effect.

• Like 1

Braves score 10 last night, and they’re up 6-0 after 1 tonight.  

The Brewers are throwing batting practice!  :rage:

Edited by Principled Man

15 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Braves score 10 last night, and they’re up 6-0 after 1 tonight.  

The Brewers are throwing batting practice!  :rage:

Too bad you can't play the Reds every series, huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Too bad you can't play the Reds every series, huh?

Brewers are sprinting to the airport after seeing their pitchers get thrashed!  A 3-game thrashing!  That's what you get when you throw the ball down the middle!    

At least the Brewers scored some runs in every game.  Pretty poor consolation prize.....   

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned