The Official 2023 MLB Thread

Nova Carmina

If you’re gonna let Mike Trout hit a 2-run bomb to center, might as well do it when you’re up 7-1.  

Brewers 7

Angels 3

(middle 8th)

If you’re gonna let Mike Trout hit another 2-run bomb to center, might as well do it when you’re up 7-3 in the 9th.  

Brewers 7

Angels 5

(End of 9)

:biggrin:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Haha 2

Might as well hit the homers with an anti bullpen owner like Arte.  Seems to be popular to sabotage teams and fans lately between my squad, Oakland and Cincy.  Chi Sox fans are mad as well.

Speaking of which, shame on MLB for photoshopping the "sell the team" banners out of the recap of that game against the team that beat them in the 90 WS.  To paraphrase Maher, I'm not saying Manfred is somewhat behind this, I just know it's true.

Edited by invisible airwave

When you let Shohei Othani hit a monster homer to center, the best thing to do the next time is walk him then pick him off at 1st base…. 😆😆

Watching the Sunday morning game on Peacock, and I just popped in to say that while I have no idea what sort of a person Nick Swisher really is, TV Personality Nick Swisher is an intolerable idiot. He acts like he thinks he's in a frat party movie.

23 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Watching the Sunday morning game on Peacock, and I just popped in to say that while I have no idea what sort of a person Nick Swisher really is, TV Personality Nick Swisher is an intolerable idiot. He acts like he thinks he's in a frat party movie.

From.Wikipedia:

Swisher was very close to his paternal grandmother, Betty Lorraine Swisher, who raised him after his parents' divorce. She died from brain cancer in 2005; he has a memorial tattoo in her honor on his chest (her initials, surrounded by angel's wings and a halo.)[5] Swisher routinely looked up to the sky to honor his parents and grandparents. He also touched his lips and pointed to the sky in his grandmother's honor after he got a hit. In addition, he inked her initials on the bottom of his bats' knobs, and kissed the letters when he came to home plate.[5] To honor her further, he let his hair grow for eleven months and donated it to Pantene Beautiful Lengths, a program that creates free wigs for cancer patients. On May 19, 2007, he cut his hair with assistance from his father.[63] His website, nickswisher.net, is also dedicated to his grandmother.[64] After his grandfather, Don, died in November 2008, Swisher began adding his initials to his bats as well. He later stated that he planned on getting another tattoo on his back in the same style as his existing one after the 2009 season to honor his grandfather.[5]

Swisher released a children's music album titled Believe on August 9, 2011. A percentage of the proceeds was to be donated to "Swish's Wishes", a charity started by Swisher for children who are facing health crises. The 12-song album features guest appearances from Bernie Williams and Barry Zito. All of the songs recorded on the album are cover songs that were selected by Swisher.[72] The album peaked at #3 on the chart of iTunes Children's Albums.[73]

I'm kind of surprised, I heard he was kind of a jerk, too.  But unless he's the kind of guy who would edit his own wiki page, he seems to be alright.

4 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Hey, Nova, what do you think about your new DH/OF?

At this point, sacrificing chickens to Jobu would seem perfectly rational. 

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

At this point, sacrificing chickens to Jobu would seem perfectly rational. 

Just do.whatever the Marlins do.  .500 baseball with bargain basement salaries and Single A talent.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Just do.whatever the Marlins do.  .500 baseball with bargain basement salaries and Single A talent.

Hmm, I'm not sure "The Marlins Way" has the same, como se dice, heft . . . and they certainly don't have the best fan in baseball.

• Haha 1

The Brewers had an imposter in the lineup last night against the Royals!  :ohmy:

2 for 4, 2 HR's, 3 RBI's  ........  This is not the Christian Yelich that we've come to lampoon and curse.....   

OK, now I know why.  His MOTHER is in town, and she’s watching him play!  

HUGE PRESSURE….:biggrin:

Edited by Principled Man

On 5/14/2023 at 7:38 AM, Principled Man said:

The Brewers had an imposter in the lineup last night against the Royals!  :ohmy:

2 for 4, 2 HR's, 3 RBI's  ........  This is not the Christian Yelich that we've come to lampoon and curse.....   

OK, now I know why.  His MOTHER is in town, and she’s watching him play!  

HUGE PRESSURE….:biggrin:

Yeah, apparently you just had to face the Royals to resurrect MVP-caliber Yellich. I thought that guy was washed! By the end of the series, I was begging for our pitchers to plunk him. Of course, even if they'd tried, they couldn't have hit him. God, we're terrible . . .

11 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Yeah, apparently you just had to face the Royals to resurrect MVP-caliber Yellich. I thought that guy was washed! By the end of the series, I was begging for our pitchers to plunk him. Of course, even if they'd tried, they couldn't have hit him. God, we're terrible . . .

I was expecting a comment from you on Don Denkinger.   You appear to be a Royal and Cardinal fan, so I was wondering if he was public enemy #1 for you or an angel sent from heaven, or just an umpire who screwed up the biggest call of his life?

35 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

The Royals showed some classic Little League defense yesterday.

Yelich steals 2nd, ball goes into center field, Yelich goes to 3rd, throw to 3rd goes wild, Yelich scores.   :facepalm:

We're certainly not fooled by Yelich's brief success at the plate.  We fully expect him to cool off soon....LOL  

48 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

I was expecting a comment from you on Don Denkinger.   You appear to be a Royal and Cardinal fan, so I was wondering if he was public enemy #1 for you or an angel sent from heaven, or just an umpire who screwed up the biggest call of his life?

Fun fact: the house I grew up in is a couple of miles from the highway; getting onto that highway, a driver is 132 miles from Kansas City and 132 miles from St. Louis.

When I was a kid first getting into sports -- my parents didn't, and don't, care at all about sports -- the Royals of George Brett and Co were routinely battling the evil Yankees (as we thought of/think of them in the Midwest) so it was easy to root for them. Then the Cardinals went to the WS in '82, when I was twelve, and so I rooted for them, as did most of the people around me. I was a kid, I didn't know I had to choose. But! in 1985, when it came down to it, when most of my classmates were supporting the Cardinals, I decided to be contrary and support the Royals. Thus, whenever anyone brings up Denkinger, I simply remind them that while that was a bad call, sure, there was still a game seven, and in that all-important game, the Royals beat the hell out of the Cardinals 11-0. One game to rule them all, and it went to the Royals. (It's your third option, above.)

When I left home for college, though, esp. since most of the friends I made were from St. Louis, it was much easier to follow the Cardinals ("Cardinals Nation" is a real thing as I learned when I moved to Colorado for a couple of years -- I could get Cardinals games on the radio, but not Royals) and they were still good (WS trips in '87 and '91) and have been basically pretty good for decades, with occasional dips, while the Royals have been terrible with occasional peaks. My rationale for myself is the Royals are my AL club, the Cardinals my NL club, but the Royals are my boyhood team.

This has been an interesting year, of course -- but, hey, Contreras is going back to catcher, so surely the Cardinals start clawing their way back to the top soon!

More info than you needed, but there's the story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Fun fact: the house I grew up in is a couple of miles from the highway; getting onto that highway, a driver is 132 miles from Kansas City and 132 miles from St. Louis.

When I was a kid first getting into sports -- my parents didn't, and don't, care at all about sports -- the Royals of George Brett and Co were routinely battling the evil Yankees (as we thought of/think of them in the Midwest) so it was easy to root for them. Then the Cardinals went to the WS in '82, when I was twelve, and so I rooted for them, as did most of the people around me. I was a kid, I didn't know I had to choose. But! in 1985, when it came down to it, when most of my classmates were supporting the Cardinals, I decided to be contrary and support the Royals. Thus, whenever anyone brings up Denkinger, I simply remind them that while that was a bad call, sure, there was still a game seven, and in that all-important game, the Royals beat the hell out of the Cardinals 11-0. One game to rule them all, and it went to the Royals. (It's your third option, above.)

When I left home for college, though, esp. since most of the friends I made were from St. Louis, it was much easier to follow the Cardinals ("Cardinals Nation" is a real thing as I learned when I moved to Colorado for a couple of years -- I could get Cardinals games on the radio, but not Royals) and they were still good (WS trips in '87 and '91) and have been basically pretty good for decades, with occasional dips, while the Royals have been terrible with occasional peaks. My rationale for myself is the Royals are my AL club, the Cardinals my NL club, but the Royals are my boyhood team.

This has been an interesting year, of course -- but, hey, Contreras is going back to catcher, so surely the Cardinals start clawing their way back to the top soon!

More info than you needed, but there's the story.

The Cardinal meltdown in Game 7 in 1985 was one of the greatest games in baseball history.  Not just the score (no one was going to beat Saberhagen in an odd year), but the complete lack of control on the part of the team in red.

Hayden Wesneski sent down to Iowa for some refinement, with Hendricks on his way back soon. I got a feeling this will be Kyle's last season unless he has some extra breaking ball magic, he's just running out of gas.

Down 5-4 in the 8th with runners on the corners and 2 outs, Roughned Odor gets picked off first base.   :facepalm:

• Like 1

The Brewers' Play of The Year (so far):  Intentionally walking red hot Nolan Arenado in the 9th to avoid throwing him a strike and losing the game.

Brewers 3

Cardinals 2 (Final)  :thumbsup:

• The topic was unpinned