The Official 2023 MLB Thread

Nova Carmina

5 hours ago, Chicken hawk said:

Thank you for posting that Goose !   What a  miss !  haha     GO SOX !          :wave:

I love how he stares at his glove after. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Brewers go back to back to back against Max Scherzer.  :laugh:

The smoke is thick inside the stadium from all the fireworks!  Turn those exhaust fans on!

Brewers 5

Mets 0 

(B-6th)

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 6:53 PM, laughedatbytime said:

OK, it's time for the aging curve to affect Goldschmidt and Arenado.

:wagfinger: I think you're forgetting about the Crossroads deal the Cardinals inked some years ago.

It’s not how the Chattanooga Lookouts drew it up, but their 7-5 win over the Rocket City Trash Pandas in Game 1 of their doubleheader Saturday was one of the strangest wins in minor league baseball history.

The Lookouts, the Double-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds, scored all seven runs and won without a hit.

All seven runs scored in the top of the seventh inning - all with two outs - through five walks, four hit batsmen, one fielding error and one wild pitch.

Walk, Walk, Out, Walk, Out, Walk (1 Run), 2-Base Fielding Error (3 Runs),  HBP, HBP, HBP (1 Run), Walk (1 Run), WP (1 Run)

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Principled Man said:

It’s not how the Chattanooga Lookouts drew it up, but their 7-5 win over the Rocket City Trash Pandas in Game 1 of their doubleheader Saturday was one of the strangest wins in minor league baseball history.

The Lookouts, the Double-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds, scored all seven runs and won without a hit.

All seven runs scored in the top of the seventh inning - all with two outs - through five walks, four hit batsmen, one fielding error and one wild pitch.

Walk, Walk, Out, Walk, Out, Walk (1 Run), 2-Base Fielding Error (3 Runs),  HBP, HBP, HBP (1 Run), Walk (1 Run), WP (1 Run)

Oh, how I love minor league baseball team names!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

:wagfinger: I think you're forgetting about the Crossroads deal the Cardinals inked some years ago.

I have to admit that one went over my head...

2 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

I have to admit that one went over my head...

Oh, it's just a reference to this old idea:

In Western folk mythology, a crossroads can be used to summon a demon or devil in order to make a deal. This legend can be seen in many stories.

2 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Oh, it's just a reference to this old idea:

In Western folk mythology, a crossroads can be used to summon a demon or devil in order to make a deal. This legend can be seen in many stories.

Well, that's definitely true!

See:   Wainwright, A., Pujols, J., Molina, Y.

• Like 1

I expected the Cubs pitching to be more solid and the offense anemic, but it turns out it's the exact opposite. Behind Stroman and Steele, the rotation is abysmal so far. The bats have been hot. Hoerner and Swanson have been lights out.

I don't have high expectations for Hendricks when he gets back, either, as much as I love the guy for everything he's done.

17 minutes ago, The Analog Cub said:

I expected the Cubs pitching to be more solid and the offense anemic, but it turns out it's the exact opposite. Behind Stroman and Steele, the rotation is abysmal so far. The bats have been hot. Hoerner and Swanson have been lights out.

I don't have high expectations for Hendricks when he gets back, either, as much as I love the guy for everything he's done.

Agree with most of this but Slyly is a decent fourth starter, though nothing more.  Taillon should be OK, and Wesenski (sp?) had good stuff though he needs time to harness it to be effective.The offense looks decent so far, and great tonight, but I'm not sure it's sustainable.

Just now, laughedatbytime said:

Agree with most of this but Smyly is a decent fourth starter, though nothing more.  Taillon should be OK, and Wesenski (sp?) had good stuff though he needs time to harness it to be effective.The offense looks decent so far, and great tonight, but I'm not sure it's sustainable.

27 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

They need to walk Kelenic every time he's up or someone will end up getting killed.

Mariners are such a perplexing, sloppy team. They have an awesome team but they need to fire a base coach or something, they have already given up a couple games because of sloppy play.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Agree with most of this but Slyly is a decent fourth starter, though nothing more.  Taillon should be OK, and Wesenski (sp?) had good stuff though he needs time to harness it to be effective.The offense looks decent so far, and great tonight, but I'm not sure it's sustainable.

Wesneski needs to go back to AAA when Kyle gets healthy if he doesn't have a noticeable turnaround after tonight's uh...showing.

7 minutes ago, The Analog Cub said:

Wesneski needs to go back to AAA when Kyle gets healthy if he doesn't have a noticeable turnaround after tonight's uh...showing.

He wasn't good, but the defense let him down and the plate umpire was atrocious and cost him a couple of outs.

But sending him down would probably be for the best.

• Like 1

Corbin Burnes is pitching lights out, but his teammates are getting no-hit….imagine that.   :facepalm:

Big Moon Shot homer by Adames just made me feel better…..:biggrin:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Haha 1

Just now, laughedatbytime said:

He wasn't good, but the defense let him down and the plate umpire was atrocious and cost him a couple of outs.

But sending him down would probably be for the best.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the umpire scorecard that'll show up on Reddit later for this one. Those are pretty neat at determining how much any missed balls/strikes affect the eventual score.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Analog Cub said:

Yeah I'm looking forward to the umpire scorecard that'll show up on Reddit later for this one. Those are pretty neat at determining how much any missed balls/strikes affect the eventual score.

I've followed them for a while and they tell a pretty consistent story and are really useful.   The one thing I'd suggest for improvement is that they look at run expectancy, not win expectancy.  In one case the call with the difference was in the bottom of the 8th in a game that was 14-3 for the home team.  At that point I almost welcome incorrect strike calls just to get the game over with.

Unpopular opinion:  CB Bucknor and Laz Diaz are worse than Angel Hernandez (which in no way is a defense of Hernandez, who is horrible.)

11 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

I've followed them for a while and they tell a pretty consistent story and are really useful.   The one thing I'd suggest for improvement is that they look at run expectancy, not win expectancy.  In one case the call with the difference was in the bottom of the 8th in a game that was 14-3 for the home team.  At that point I almost welcome incorrect strike calls just to get the game over with.

Unpopular opinion:  CB Bucknor and Laz Diaz are worse than Angel Hernandez (which in no way is a defense of Hernandez, who is horrible.)

Not good, but better than I thought.

On 4/10/2023 at 7:25 AM, Principled Man said:

My team's farm system so not an embarrassing surprise.  Remember that 1-0 loss when Jered Weaver pitched a no hitter?  Reds even did that last season.

I'm quite relieved that they don't play the Rays until August, though.  Damn, they're good!

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned