Jump to content

Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9


The Cat 3
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Periphery - Periphery II

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

Passion Pit - Manners

Of Monsters And Men - My Head Is An Animal

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taylor Swift- Fearless (Taylor's Version)

HIM- Greatest Love Songs vol. 666

 

Fearless was Swift's first AOTY Grammy win. I don't know why it took til today to really appreciate everything it has to offer. The new version has superior vocals, but some of the original recordings have just a little more life. 

Edited by Segue Myles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taylor Swift- Speak Now (Taylor's Version)

 

I strongly believe that her voice has really developed a lot of warmth and character, and whilst she isn't a "great" singer, she certainly has charm and personality.

 

I love this new version of Speak Now. Like Fearless, the less pop sheen in the mix gives it a stronger rock edge. I miss these early days in her career, there is a charm that is distinctly missing now she is older 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Goo Goo Dolls- Dizzy Up The Girl 

Everclear- Sparkle And Fade 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

Taylor Swift-Speak Now (9/10)

 

Mick

I have picked some new versions and mixed with my fave of the old versions. Works great for me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I have picked some new versions and mixed with my fave of the old versions. Works great for me!

 

 

my problem with the speak now re-record is her polishing it up.

 

But that very thing works on fearless and even 1989.  Original Speak Now had an energy and Teen Angst you cannot replicate.

 

not her fault but.....weakest re-record in my book.

 

i'll stick to Original here.

 

Mick

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

 

 

my problem with the speak now re-record is her polishing it up.

 

But that very thing works on fearless and even 1989.  Original Speak Now had an energy and Teen Angst you cannot replicate.

 

not her fault but.....weakest re-record in my book.

 

i'll stick to Original here.

 

Mick

 

See its my fave re-record with the exception of Mean and Haunted. I think her band sounds better, BUT the lack of youthful energy makes it a different listen. Odd how her voice is different now for the better, but the raw delivery of her late teens is arguably superior.

 

It's interesting just how different these songs sound knowing she's in her thirties. It feels very different. 

 

The 1989 re-record is catching up fast. I rate SN higher because I love the album start to finish with the Vault tracks, which I could happily treat like the new Red and just say: it's one amazing pop double album.

 

The 1989 vault tracks weird me out because I only hear Midnights in them with elements of 1989. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taylor Swift- Midnights (6/10)

 

The standare bare bones addition here.  My history is not a good one.  I hated this on release.  seemed like a re-tread then.  I was WOOOOW how novel she made her album that does not move A SINGLE thing forward.  the Anger came in cause it came after 2 of her best. 

 

my anger has subsided.  but You'll never hear me proclaiming this as a fav.

 

never. ever. not once, lol.

 

This album just has nothing where i go "oh i'll put on this song from Midnights right now"  i just forget mostly everything the second this album passes.  Also this record made it abundantly clear her melody palette is now VERY limited. same melodies...key changes.  you can tell me it's her sound but i counter with no it's Jack Antanoff's sound and she's stale because of him.  she needs a new partner just like she got Antanoff on Reputation.  see that was freash back then.  she needs to re establish herself  (artistically) by moving on now.

 

Mick

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Taylor Swift- Midnights (6/10)

 

The standare bare bones addition here.  My history is not a good one.  I hated this on release.  seemed like a re-tread then.  I was WOOOOW how novel she made her album that does not move A SINGLE thing forward.  the Anger came in cause it came after 2 of her best. 

 

my anger has subsided.  but You'll never hear me proclaiming this as a fav.

 

never. ever. not once, lol.

 

This album just has nothing where i go "oh i'll put on this song from Midnights right now"  i just forget mostly everything the second this album passes.  Also this record made it abundantly clear her melody palette is now VERY limited. same melodies...key changes.  you can tell me it's her sound but i counter with no it's Jack Antanoff's sound and she's stale because of him.  she needs a new partner just like she got Antanoff on Reputation.  see that was freash back then.  she needs to re establish herself  (artistically) by moving on now.

 

Mick

 

See I feel odd because I love the album still but I'm finding my reaction to indivudual songs mixed. And now we have like two albums worth of songs from this album cycle, I'm truly puzzled by what she left off.

 

There is strong belief that Midnights is actually a collection of leftovers from across her career. Vigilante Shit is very Reputation, a lot of this feels like Lover, and a tonne of the bonus tracks sound even older. I've also noticed there is no record of when and where she wrote these songs. 

 

It's an odd album because it's captured people's Imaginations and really won her a lot of new fans, but the official tracklist...

 

I don't hate it at all but she didn't really choose the best of the best.

 

Bigger Than The Whole Sky, You're Losing Me, Hits Different, Paris, The Great War...left off for the likes of Bejeweled and Karma, which are two singles that I don't feel deserve the acclaim they have.

 

Midnights is...oddly fascinating for me because I love it but I also question exactly how she shows the songs here. Out of a hat?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

See I feel odd because I love the album still but I'm finding my reaction to indivudual songs mixed. And now we have like two albums worth of songs from this album cycle, I'm truly puzzled by what she left off.

 

There is strong belief that Midnights is actually a collection of leftovers from across her career. Vigilante Shit is very Reputation, a lot of this feels like Lover, and a tonne of the bonus tracks sound even older. I've also noticed there is no record of when and where she wrote these songs. 

 

It's an odd album because it's captured people's Imaginations and really won her a lot of new fans, but the official tracklist...

 

I don't hate it at all but she didn't really choose the best of the best.

 

Bigger Than The Whole Sky, You're Losing Me, Hits Different, Paris, The Great War...left off for the likes of Bejeweled and Karma, which are two singles that I don't feel deserve the acclaim they have.

 

Midnights is...oddly fascinating for me because I love it but I also question exactly how she shows the songs here. Out of a hat?

 

 

I thought day was midnights was a leftovers album.  and no matter what her official story becomes i'm going with that cause it makes sense as to why she backtracked so hard after two of my favs that i got whiplash.

 

The standard tracklist is just........not Appealing in the least i'm sorry.  and the antanoff style here really grates me.

 

if it's NOT a leftovers album....then wow is she now the one dragging behind the curve.

 

Mick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

 

 

I thought day was midnights was a leftovers album.  and no matter what her official story becomes i'm going with that cause it makes sense as to why she backtracked so hard after two of my favs that i got whiplash.

 

The standard tracklist is just........not Appealing in the least i'm sorry.  and the antanoff style here really grates me.

 

if it's NOT a leftovers album....then wow is she now the one dragging behind the curve.

 

Mick

Yet its one of her most highly acclaimed albums and I don't even think 1989 captured fans the way this one did...and for the best songs i get it but...

 

There are songs on the standard album I truly puzzle over.

 

Imagine a world where she followed Anti-Hero with Hits Different? Instead we got BefuckingJeweled and Karma

 

It's reminding me of Springsteen fan groups that love to discuss how they would round down The River to one standard album length, because the deleted album he recorded and chose to not release for decades has tracks plenty of us would include in that tracklist as well.

 

Taylor was not confident in Midnights, I feel that's why she gave it a quiet build up. I also think the choice of songs was tough because some of the songs she probably didn't know what to do with considering she and her ex were still together.

 

It's just an odd album. I love it but again, The River comparison: there is validity in people taking issue with some of the quality 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...