Jump to content

Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9


The Cat 3
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yesterday:

 

MisterWives - Reflections EP

MisterWives - Our Own House

MisterWives - Connect The Dots

MisterWives - Superbloom

MisterWives - Nosebleeds

 

And then I saw them live!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Epica- The Holographic Principle 

 

This is their masterpiece. The accompanying EP (name escapes me) is sublime as well. The label should have trusted Epica, this would have been a killer double album. But their is something to be said for this record being a brilliant work exactly as it is. Regardless of the quality of the other songs, this is a truly immersibe listen with no baggage.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lacuna Coil- Delirium 

 

I feel this is their masterpiece. I never expected them to ever do something like this. If Broken Crown Halo perfected everything they ever were in their earlier days, Delirium boldly reinvented their sound and reenergised their creative juices.

 

I hope that they knock it out of the park on the next album. It's now the longest they have ever gone without new material. Time will tell on that one.

 

(This isn't unusual for them, they had four years between Comalies and Karmacode).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now playing: 

 

Epica- The Quantum Enigma 

 

If I think The Holographic Principle is Epica's finest hour, this one is literally a hairs breadth of a way behind it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Olivia Rodrigo-GUTS

 

Now for a more level headed review (i was sick.....found out it's COVID.....joy......feeling better though)

 

First things first this album is a continuation of Sour more than any growth.  so i disagree on that front.  that made great strides here .......BUT she did add small new elements.

 

I like Uptempo here a LOT

 

Bad Idea Right? (the chourus is a cars song straight up)

Get him back (I love her humor.  I want to meet his mom to tell her her son sucks?:laugh2:oh girl!!!!! Also this is the kinda song Swift USED to write but she NEVER had a line that made me snort like that, lol)

Ballad of a home school girl

 

The ballads are standard sour Olivia but they're layered and beautiful with Making the bed being my fav. and pretty Isn't Pretty.  is almost pop Smashing Pumpkins musically.  that reference floored me.

 

So these are opening up here.  Do i think i like it better than Sour.  no.  Can't go as far as you guys are.  but this is a great album.  Segue asked me is she really that good or are we so starved for good pop.  i can answer that wholeheartedly.  YES!!!! she's that good too me.  i prefer her to Swift honestly.  who's work has become a bit TOO erratic for me at this point.

 

GO OLIVIA BRAVO!!!!!

 

Mick

 

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Olivia Rodrigo-GUTS

 

Now for a more level headed review (i was sick.....found out it's COVID.....joy......feeling better though)

 

First things first this album is a continuation of Sour more than any growth.  so i disagree on that front.  that made great strides here .......BUT she did add small new elements.

 

I like Uptempo here a LOT

 

Bad Idea Right? (the chourus is a cars song straight up)

Get him back (I love her humor.  I want to meet his mom to tell her her son sucks?:laugh2:oh girl!!!!! Also this is the kinda song Swift USED to write but she NEVER had a line that made me snort like that, lol)

Ballad of a home school girl

 

The ballads are standard sour Olivia but they're layered and beautiful with Making the bed being my fav. and pretty Isn't Pretty.  is almost pop Smashing Pumpkins musically.  that reference floored me.

 

So these are opening up here.  Do i think i like it better than Sour.  no.  Can't go as far as you guys are.  but this is a great album.  Segue asked me is she really that good or are we so starved for good pop.  i can answer that wholeheartedly.  YES!!!! she's that good too me.  i prefer her to Swift honestly.  who's work has become a bit TOO erratic for me at this point.

 

GO OLIVIA BRAVO!!!!!

 

Mick

Mick

I have to say GUTS is growing on me immensely as well. I cant decide which track is my favourite but I do love most of it. 

 

I feel she has qualities close to Swift but honestly, she really does stand on her own. I feel a bit frustrated for Rodrigo that the media constantly compare them.

 

Rodrigo has so far the stronger first two albums. 

 

I don't think Swift is more generic, but I get that you don't enjoy her evolution. It will be interesting to see if Rodrigo ever throws a creative curveball like Folklore, or even a Reputation.

 

But two albums in, I feel she is developing a strong foundation to build a lasting career on. However, I'm not sure three albums in this vein will help her stay relevant.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I have to say GUTS is growing on me immensely as well. I cant decide which track is my favourite but I do love most of it. 

 

I feel she has qualities close to Swift but honestly, she really does stand on her own. I feel a bit frustrated for Rodrigo that the media constantly compare them.

 

Rodrigo has so far the stronger first two albums. 

 

I don't think Swift is more generic, but I get that you don't enjoy her evolution. It will be interesting to see if Rodrigo ever throws a creative curveball like Folklore, or even a Reputation.

 

But two albums in, I feel she is developing a strong foundation to build a lasting career on. However, I'm not sure three albums in this vein will help her stay relevant.

 

 

i'm hoping album three is a switch up.  BUT she did add enough new touches on GUTS to let me know she is trying so i'm happy.

 

but you know what?  one album at a time.  i'm saying for this moment she's my current fav pop artist.

 

Mick

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Oooo thanks! Not heard of this!

unfortunately only available on youtube. but its super good. it had the unfortunate fate of being released on 9/11, definitely not the best thing for an albums success (although that didnt stop nickelback)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

 

 

i'm hoping album three is a switch up.  BUT she did add enough new touches on GUTS to let me know she is trying so i'm happy.

 

but you know what?  one album at a time.  i'm saying for this moment she's my current fav pop artist.

 

Mick

 

 

Definitely. And she's also super young, she's just recording music she loves, she's got plenty of time to really find her own style and sound. At the moment its exciting to hear all her influences and she pulls off various styles so well.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Toto - Isolation, 1984

  :ROCK: (10/10)

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Haken - Affinity  2016 (10/10)

 

still my fav Haken.  the new one's awesome.  i've heard it called their best.  not for me it doesn't unseat Affinity.  We've heard a TON of bands do the retro 80's album.  To me.....Far and away.  Haken easily did it best here.:yes:

 

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Olivia Rodrigo-GUTS (10/10)

 

I won't say i prefer it to Sour as thaat album is special to me.  I will say i like i just as much though.

 

I really want her to make a full theatrical Meat Loaf-esque album.  We got a taste with Vampire.  now i want her to just embrace it.  She can do it but maybe not just yet.   It would turn away so many fans, lol

 

but down the line.....I WANT IT.

 

Mick

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Olivia Rodrigo-GUTS (10/10)

 

I won't say i prefer it to Sour as thaat album is special to me.  I will say i like i just as much though.

 

I really want her to make a full theatrical Meat Loaf-esque album.  We got a taste with Vampire.  now i want her to just embrace it.  She can do it but maybe not just yet.   It would turn away so many fans, lol

 

but down the line.....I WANT IT.

 

Mick

That's the sort of risks I'd like to see her take!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...