Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I absolutely love that I randomly played this album and had such a correct feeling response.

Only was their biggest hit? Crazy, I loved it. It stood out on that album!

Definitely emerging as my favourite Big 4 thrash band.

Black Lodge got some decent radio and MTV rotation as well. Those are the only two songs from them that I remember hearing regularly on the radio. The Belladonna stuff would get played on MTV but it was mainly on Headbanger's Ball. Only and Black Lodge actually got played during normal hours on MTV. I don't remember that with the older Belladonna stuff. James Hetfield once said that Only is a perfectly written song.

Edited by J2112YYZ

8 hours ago, Turbine Freight said:

I'm not the biggest Slash fan but on first listen I was impressed. Strong setlist, plenty of energy from the band and they really did the early Guns stuff justice. I thought I might get maybe four or five songs in and give it the boot but that wasn't the case. The only real lull in the album is the guitar solo where he quotes the Godfather theme. He really shows his limitations there. I've always felt Slash's forte to be his catchy riffs, not his lead breaks. 

It piqued my interest when you said it was one of your favourite live albums ever and I'd never even heard it. I'll definitely listen to it again.

Glad you enjoyed it.  I'm a huge fan of his.  I could do without the guitar solo, but for different reasons (I don't really enjoy extended guitar or drum solos anymore).  I've seen that band live at House of Blues in Boston, and they were great.  I think the solo is used for the theatrical purpose of allowing Slash to end it with the Sweet Child O'Mine riff (he did it again last week when I saw GNR at Fenway Park).  For my money, Myles Kennedy is one of the best rock vocalists working today.  Alter Bridge isn't really my thing, but I think that's more a Tremonti thing, because I like Myles' solo work.  

I also agree that Slash's true gift is his songwriting.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Anthrax- Persistence In Time

Anthrax- Sound Of White Noise

This band...is a joy! I don't mind having spent decades not "getting" them, it's great fun deep diving their discography now.

Love both of these a ton! So glad you’re getting into them! PoT is one of my absolute favorite metal records. The first four tracks especially.

6 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Love both of these a ton! So glad you’re getting into them! PoT is one of my absolute favorite metal records. The first four tracks especially.

I almost don't see Anthrax as thrash. They are very eclectic, and they have no limit to their range really. Sound Of White Noise honestly sounds closer to grunge than thrash for me, I really enjoyed it. It felt less commercial than the black album or similar albums by Testament or Trivium. So yeah, greatly impressed.

I don't have a favourite album or vocalist yet, I've enjoyed everything. Even the scrappy debut has a charm.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I almost don't see Anthrax as thrash. They are very eclectic, and they have no limit to their range really. Sound Of White Noise honestly sounds closer to grunge than thrash for me, I really enjoyed it. It felt less commercial than the black album or similar albums by Testament or Trivium. So yeah, greatly impressed.

I don't have a favourite album or vocalist yet, I've enjoyed everything. Even the scrappy debut has a charm.

I'm interested in what you will think of the three other albums they did with John Bush. They get heavier and more aggressive but also a bit more experimental too.

• Like 2

Dan Fogelberg-The Innocent Age (9/10)

you can say  about how IA is too dour a bit self-important and overlong.  All of which are i geuss true...it's opinion.  Here is a fact though.  it was his biggiest seller here and honestly the peak of his powers.  for better or worse i think every album before going back to the debut was a step to here.  it just kept building. and this was the result.

I mean "side B" of the vinyl ALONE.  that's EVERY freakin' hit of this album basically on a single side.  Then you have stuff like.

Nexus

The Title Song

Sand and the Foam

In the Passage.

The reach

This is objectivly his best IMO. i mean taking out favs and all i think it may deserve it.

Mick

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I'm interested in what you will think of the three other albums they did with John Bush. They get heavier and more aggressive but also a bit more experimental too.

Oh that sounds grand! How are the recent works?

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Dan Fogelberg-The Innocent Age (9/10)

you can say  about how IA is too dour a bit self-important and overlong.  All of which are i geuss true...it's opinion.  Here is a fact though.  it was his biggiest seller here and honestly the peak of his powers.  for better or worse i think every album before going back to the debut was a step to here.  it just kept building. and this was the result.

I mean "side B" of the vinyl ALONE.  that's EVERY freakin' hit of this album basically on a single side.  Then you have stuff like.

Nexus

The Title Song

Sand and the Foam

In the Passage.

The reach

This is objectivly his best IMO. i mean taking out favs and all i think it may deserve it.

Mick

Agree with everything.

Though personally his debut is magic to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Oh that sounds grand! How are the recent works?

The two albums they've done with Joey since he came back are great. Worship Music was actually written with the idea that Bush was going to continue with the band. So you can hear that style in the songs. For All Kings is fantastic. One of their best start to finish.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

The two albums they've done with Joey since he came back are great. Worship Music was actually written with the idea that Bush was going to continue with the band. So you can hear that style in the songs. For All Kings is fantastic. One of their best start to finish.

Oh great! They are remarkably consistent. The only album I'd rate low is the debut. It's got charm, a lot of rough and ready eighties thrash has. But everything else so far has been top level brilliance.

• Like 1

Annihilator- Alice In Hell

I've always liked this band. This is my fave of their albums.

• Like 1

Worked from home for part of the day today (took part of the day off to take mom to a dr.'s appointment) so that meant I opened up the moving box's and whatever came out got listened to.  First out:

Foreigner - Records

A greatest hit album Foreigner released in 1982 so it does not have any post 1982 songs.  But it does have enjoyable songs like "Cold As Ice", "Double Vision", "Head Games", "Dirty White Boy", "Juke Box Hero" & "Hot Blooded".  I may not be a big Foreigner fan but whats not to like?  BTW - Even if I am not a big Foreigner fan I did see them 3 times live (twice in the 1990's and once in 2002).  The first time I saw them live they were excellent, the second time ok.  The 2002 show was terrible.  I had the chance to see them recently on their farewell tour and I skipped that.  Any way, good album.  Next out of the box:

Iron Maiden - 7th Son of a 7th Son

When I listen to this album, I never skip a song.  Solid & enjoyable.  My favorite song is "Can I Play With Madness".  No shock there.  Next out of the box:

Survivor - Eye of the Tiger

Historically I just listen to the first side of this album and skip the second.  its been many years since I listened to the 2nd side but today I listened to the entire album.  What did I think?  Not really impressed by side 2 & will go back to skipping it.  Side one though, I don't skip and will not skip anything on it.  All the songs (the title track, "Feel Like Love", "Hesitation Dance", The One That Really Matters" & "I'm Not That Man Anymore") are excellent.  I esp. like "Hesitation Dance" and (perhaps even more so) "The One That Really Matters".  Very enjoyable album side.  Last out of the box for the day:

Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance

A masterpiece.  My favorite Priest album.  I never, ever skip a song on it.

Funny story about the album though.  In 1988 I was at college and was listening to the album.  One of the guys who lived on the same floor in my dorm stopped by my room for some reason as the last song, "Devil's Child", was playing.  This guy was not at all into metal.  He listens to it a bit and Rob Halford is singing the chorus which has the line "I believe your the devil" in it.  This guy hears it and goes "Did he just sing "I'm in league with the devil?  I though Led Zeppelin was satanic but there nothing compared to a group openly singing about being in league with the devil."

Yup - thats what being being brainwashed in certain ways about religion (and music) and not herring things correctly can do to people.  Had to calm the guy down and explain what the lyrics actually were.  Nice guy though.

So all these years latter I still get a chuckle out that guys reaction to what he misheard.   

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 4

Have not listened to many youtube albums recently.  For a while I was listening every night but not recently.  But tonight I decided to give another band a shot there.

Mentalist - Empires Faling

Found out about this group as their drummer is Thomen Stauch who used to be Blind Guardians drummer.  Thats what made me aware of them and got me to give them a shot.  So what did I think?  Decent album.  Lot of decent songs including (in no particular order) the title track, "If You Realy Want", "Solution Revolution", "Generations Legacy" & "Out of the Dark".

You can clearly hear Thomen's drum work - a real plus.  The songs are decent  / good, good guitar work and the lead vocals, well, they took a bit of getting used to but they were decent.  The bass player on the album (although he did not write anything and is not in any video's) is Symphony X's bass player.

Overall, enjoyable album.  May try out the bands other 2 albums at some point.  Not great but decent.