No Quarter

Over the Hills and Far Away

The Song Remains the Same

Dancing Days

The Ocean

D'yer Maker

The Crunge

• Like 10

Yesterday I was listening to a podcast where the discussion turned to "Gen-X-y" bands.  So doing some paperwork this morning, as a proud Gen-Xer, I've been listening to R.E.M.'s Apple Music Essentials.  When I was in college, my hipster buddies LOVED these guys.  Never really got them.  But this morning it's working for me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Yesterday I was listening to a podcast where the discussion turned to "Gen-X-y" bands.  So doing some paperwork this morning, as a proud Gen-Xer, I've been listening to R.E.M.'s Apple Music Essentials.  When I was in college, my hipster buddies LOVED these guys.  Never really got them.  But this morning it's working for me.

REM is arguably the greatest America band.

• Like 2

All for Metel - Legends

This is a band that keeps popping up on my youtube feed and they just put out their first album so i decided to give it a shot.  So what did I think 

Well, somewhat ironically they are signed by AFM records.  What are they, the house band?  The label group (AFM stands for All For Metal).

When I look at the group I feel like I am looking at a bunch of extra's from the Mel Gibson movie "The Road Warrior"  Esp the bass player and the drummer.  The bass player, the drummer and both of the lead singers (yes, the group has 2 lead vocalists) are guys.  The 2 guitarists are ladies.  

When I look at the lead singers not only do I see extra's from "The Road Warrior" but one of them looks like Shaun Michaels and the other looks like Triple H.   So that gives you a feel of what the band is like.  Musically they are viking oriented power metal.  Which I should like but I don't really care for this group.  The bass player is decent, the drummer is ok, the guitarists are fine, the vocalists are ok but somehow it does not add up.    The songs are just not inspiring.  Just does not do anything for me.

This band has a bunch of video's for their songs so the record label must think they are going to big thing but not in my book.  Basically a dud and a disappointment.

After that last bit of trash from All For Metal I needed to wash my ears out with something I would enjoy so I went to something I have listened to before and like.

Scardust - Strangers

This is a really interesting group.  Noa Gruman the lead singer is very good - esp. when she sings clean which is, thankfully, most of the time.  According to what I have read Floor of Nightwish helped train her and it shows.  They use choirs to back them up (inc. a children's choir in one song) plus orchestral backing for some of their songs.  Patty Gurdy played her hardy-gurdy on one song as well.  

From what I have picked up, basically the entire band (except Noa) has basically turned over in the last few years which is a pity but Noa seems to have picked up talent that at least match's what she has lost.  Orr Didi the current bass player is excellent.  From the smile that seems to be always on his face he may be one of the happiest people on the planet.

If you like Nightwish their is a good chance you will like them.  But they are not symphonic metal.  They are more prog metal.  Very high levels of musicianship.  If you like Dream Theater you may like them.  If you like harsh vocals they use them once in a while so you might like that.  Thankfully, as I said, most of the time the vocals are clean and excellent.  

Very interesting prog metal,   BTW, The Charismatic Voice reviewed one of their songs and liked it.

Fun album  - clearly a group on the rise.  They played last year at the Wacken festival in Germany and will be on tour soon opening for Blind Guardian.

Can't recommend them enough. 

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I was three years away from being born 😄

Many more for me… :ninja:

36 minutes ago, yyz305 said:

220px-BlackCountryCommunionIV.jpg

I forget how much I loved this band. I need to check them out again

• Like 1

Friday and Saturday:

Mammoth WVH - Mammoth II

Def Leppard - Diamond Star Halos

Simple Plan - Taking One For The Team