Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted lands II - The Dark Secret

Rhapsody of Fire - The Frozen Tears of Angeles

From symphony I thought that best song was either "Sacred Power of the Raging Winds", "Guardiani Del Destino" or "Shadows of Death".  

Overall reaction to the album:

First off, really awesome cover art.  Again, the lyrics are very good.  The music does not thrill me - it might be marginally better here then on the first 2 Rhapsody albums I listened to.  But still nothing that I am really enjoying.  The vocals are slightly better than the first 2 Rhapsody albums I listened to.  The presence of Christopher Lee is a significant help - then again, his involvement in any music / movie is like having beer with food.  Beer almost always make food better and he likewise almost always makes movies / music better.  Other than him the vocals still don't thrill me.

From Angeles I thought the best songs were "On the Way 2 Ainor" & "Raging Starfire"

That being said, I thought this album was a major step backwards.  The vocals do nothing for me and even the music generally did not interest me.  I found myself skipping from song to song.  It was a real drag to get through it - had to basically force myself to listen.  Not an interesting album at all.  Pity, again good lyrics.  I just dislike the vocals and even the music was not enjoyable.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Death - Individual Thought Patterns 

first time listen, second ever death album, totally wicked

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted lands II - The Dark Secret

Rhapsody of Fire - The Frozen Tears of Angeles

From symphony I thought that best song was either "Sacred Power of the Raging Winds", "Guardiani Del Destino" or "Shadows of Death".  

Overall reaction to the album:

First off, really awesome cover art.  Again, the lyrics are very good.  The music does not thrill me - it might be marginally better here then on the first 2 Rhapsody albums I listened to.  But still nothing that I am really enjoying.  The vocals are slightly better than the first 2 Rhapsody albums I listened to.  The presence of Christopher Lee is a significant help - then again, his involvement in any music / movie is like having beer with food.  Beer almost always make food better and he likewise almost always makes movies / music better.  Other than him the vocals still don't thrill me.

From Angeles I thought the best songs were "On the Way 2 Ainor" & "Raging Starfire"

That being said, I thought this album was a major step backwards.  The vocals do nothing for me and even the music generally did not interest me.  I found myself skipping from song to song.  It was a real drag to get through it - had to basically force myself to listen.  Not an interesting album at all.  Pity, again good lyrics.  I just dislike the vocals and even the music was not enjoyable.

They seem to be a love/hate band for many. In my humble opinion, the best power metal band and to my ears about as good as it gets for metal in general. But to each their own! 

However, you are marathoning bands whose music is layered, complex and rich with ideas. If you're going to spin an album once, you're not giving them a real chance.

Edited by Segue Myles

Rhapsody- Legendary Tales 

Rhapsody- Symphony Of Enchanted Lands 

Masterplan- Time To Be King

20 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

They seem to be a love/hate band for many. In my humble opinion, the best power metal band and to my ears about as good as it gets for metal in general. But to each their own! 

However, you are marathoning bands whose music is layered, complex and rich with ideas. If you're going to spin an album once, you're not giving them a real chance.

I generally don't have a problem marathoning these bands.  I get a feel of what they are like and I can eventually circle back around and check them out some more.  So far I feel like its worked out ok and given me a lot of bands I like enough to eventually go back and try again.  But Rhapsody (shakes head) is just frustrating.  As I keep saying, I like the lyrics and album concepts.  But the music I don't care for and the vocals, just not to my taste.  Not at all.  As you said, to each their own.  

I am going to do something crazy (for me) and basically put this band to the side and try something else.  Perhaps I will eventually come back to them.  Perhaps.

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 1

Dragonforce - Valley of the Dammed

This is almost 2 albums for me.  The first 4 songs I did not really care for.  Then there is the power balled "Starfire".  Best song on the album (IMO).  After that I liked every other song on the album.  Good lyrics, good album cover, drums might be a little predictable but still liked them, guitar work is crazy, good vocals.  Glad I tried this band.  Will have to check out more of them.

• Like 1