Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

I never thought about it like that but you're right. Kind of like Maiden where they may have a song or two on the album that is suitable to be a single but not something that caters to the masses and they do exactly what they want to do. That being said, the album after this with John Bush on vocals does have their most commercially sounding and successful song, Only. It's still Anthrax but just like Megadeth and Testament, they stripped down their sound for wider appeal because of how successful Metallica had been with The Black Album.

Oh I look forward to that! I forgot about Maiden in the moment. They did pander to charts in their own way but never sacrificed their integrity, so I may take back my acclaim just a wee bit 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iced Earth- Burnt Offerings 

One of the greatest metal albums of all time. The perfect blend of thrash and power metal, I think it sounds super fresh still. I'm quite hooked on this record atm, which isn't a surprise exactly. 

I wish Jon Schafer wasn't such a dick. Iced Earth today are an embarrassing mess.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I don't know why, but I struggle to think of Anthrax as thrash. There is a real hard rock flavour to them, and sometimes (maybe because they influenced a lot of subsequent bands), but the melodies hit home like a super heavy pop punk band. I'm not saying they span all the genres under the sun, but to my ears they are the most diverse and spontaneous of the Big 4, and I feel they maybe...eek...the best?

Persistance of Time pushed the envelope and I agree, it's not thrash.  Spreading the disease is thrash IMO.  I also agree their catalog as a whole is quite different from album to album.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pressure/Hopenosis said:

Persistance of Time pushed the envelope and I agree, it's not thrash.  Spreading the disease is thrash IMO.  I also agree their catalog as a whole is quite different from album to album.

Persistence did have thrash in it. But it was mixed in with a lot of progressive and traditional melodic metal.

Edguy - Hellfire Club

Edguy - Rocket Ride

So, what did I think?  From The Hellfire Club my favorite song was The Piper Never Dies.  My second favorite was, hmmmm, that tough.  There is a lot of good music here.  I guess I would go with King of Fools.  Don't even ask my for a 3rd favorite.  It was hard enough getting a second favorite - if I listen again that could change.  Overall, like I said, there is a lot of good music here.

From Rocket Ride I would say my 2 favorite songs are Wasted Time & The Asylum.  I listed them in the order they were on the album.  Don't ask me which I prefer - its basically a tie.  After that I have no idea.  There is a lot of ok, decent music here.  That being said, somehow I did not find this album to be as strong as the groups first 5 albums.  There was a subtle but noticeable drop off.  Still decent.  Will continue my exploration of this band.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Iced Earth- Burnt Offerings 

One of the greatest metal albums of all time. The perfect blend of thrash and power metal, I think it sounds super fresh still. I'm quite hooked on this record atm, which isn't a surprise exactly. 

I wish Jon Schafer wasn't such a dick. Iced Earth today are an embarrassing mess.

It's too bad this album was released when metal was out of the mainstream and had lost a lot of it's fanbase and momentum from the 80s. This could have been such a more well known and recognized great album of the genre if it had come out in a different era.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

It's too bad this album was released when metal was out of the mainstream and had lost a lot of it's fanbase and momentum from the 80s. This could have been such a more well known and recognized great album of the genre if it had come out in a different era.

I've always thought this about Iced Earth. They were always state of the art, just never on trend.

• Like 1

Scanner- Hyper Trace 

This speed metal album from 1988 is great fun! I highly recommend this to eighties metal fans!

Paramore- This Is Why 

Their best album since the self titled. 

• Like 2

Rush- Hold Your Fire

I think this is their most soothing, beautiful and emotional album. 

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 7

Rush- Moving Pictures 

I think I play Rush too much 🤣

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Paramore- This Is Why 

Their best album since the self titled. 

It might be their best since Brand New Eyes!

honestly I’m really unsure where to rank it, I’m still just fawning over it too much to be certain

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

It might be their best since Brand New Eyes!

honestly I’m really unsure where to rank it, I’m still just fawning over it too much to be certain

See I like Paramore and BNE about the same, so for me this new album is in .y top three.

I have to try the last album again, I feel TIW improves upon the last one a lot, but it's similar enough that I'm confused as to why I didn't like it when it came out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Rush- Hold Your Fire

I think this is their most soothing, beautiful and emotional album. 

Most emotional i'd give to Vapor Trails... but definitely NOT most soothing 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ST3V said:

Most emotional i'd give to Vapor Trails... but definitely NOT most soothing 

Agreed, but it's a very different listening experience 

• Like 2

Iced Earth- Something Wicked This Way Comes 

This continues their hot streak of masterpieces! For my money, their fourth in a row.