Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

5 minutes ago, Chronos said:

Piece of trivia: Duke by Genesis, posted above, was the 100th different album I've listened to so far this calendar year.

Yes, I always keep track :tongue:

Put another

record on…

Oh sorry that’s the next album! :p

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Haha 1

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abacab.jpg

Thus ends my leisurely Genesis marathon. Life is too short to keep trying the subsequent albums, as I do every year. After all this time, I've finally resigned myself to the fact that the rest of the discography will never appeal to me. Even half of Abacab is questionable.

And that's okay.

Edited by Chronos
Typo. (I blame the bourbon)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Chronos said:

Abacab.jpg

Thus ends my leisurely Genesis marathon. Life is too short to keep trying the subsequent albums, as I do every year. After all this time, I've finally resigned myself to the fact that the rest of the discography will never appeal to me. Even half of Abacab is questionable.

And that's okay.

I'm the exact opposite. I've resigned myself to the fact that the Gabriel era will never appeal to me.

• Like 4

Moon Tooth -- Phototroph 

(I can't figure out how to post the album cover here if it's not on Wikipedia.)

I saw this in one of Super25Smasher's lists, randomly tried it, and dug it enough to play the whole thing. Very reminiscent of Mastodon (Hunter era), which is what hooked me!

Edited by Chronos
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I'm the exact opposite. I've resigned myself to the fact that the Gabriel era will never appeal to me.

I can't really warm to Genesis in general, but oddly I enjoy Collins and Gabriel solo a lot. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Anthrax- Persistence Of Time

I don't know why, but I struggle to think of Anthrax as thrash. There is a real hard rock flavour to them, and sometimes (maybe because they influenced a lot of subsequent bands), but the melodies hit home like a super heavy pop punk band. I'm not saying they span all the genres under the sun, but to my ears they are the most diverse and spontaneous of the Big 4, and I feel they maybe...eek...the best?

• Like 2

Rush- Caress Of Steel 

Rush- A Farewell To Kings

Rush- Roll The Bones 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Chronos said:

Moon Tooth -- Psychotroph 

(I can't figure out how to post the album cover here if it's not on Wikipedia.)

I saw this in one of Super25Smasher's lists, randomly tried it, and dug it enough to play the whole thing. Very reminiscent of Mastodon (Hunter era), which is what hooked me!

Hey, that's awesome! I saw them live last year, opening for Dance Gavin Dance, a few days before the album dropped. I got it on vinyl that night, and I got it signed by 3 of their members. I also got to chat with them for a while.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

me too.  Although i think Foxtrot rules but that's it.  Gabriel Genesis is just like.......TOO artsy fartsy for me.

but then i love him solo so i can't explain it, lol

but his Genesis stuff.......Straight over my head.  i love them way better after pete f***ed off, lol

Mick

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

me too.  Although i think Foxtrot rules but that's it.  Gabriel Genesis is just like.......TOO artsy fartsy for me.

but then i love him solo so i can't explain it, lol

but his Genesis stuff.......Straight over my head.  i love them way better after pete f***ed off, lol

Mick

His solo work is less wanky. I know prog fans love all that so thays cool, but I prefer Yes and even they turn me off at times.

Gabriel solo, gorgeous stuff. Collins solo isn't all that different to Genesis. I enjoy songs of his time leading Genesis, and solo songs. I just happen to enjoy more of his solo work, so nothing deep there

Lacuna Coil- Delirium 

Seven years on, this album just continues to impress me more and more.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

His solo work is less wanky. I know prog fans love all that so thays cool, but I prefer Yes and even they turn me off at times.

Gabriel solo, gorgeous stuff. Collins solo isn't all that different to Genesis. I enjoy songs of his time leading Genesis, and solo songs. I just happen to enjoy more of his solo work, so nothing deep there

i'm glad you gave gabrial solo a listen.  Actually he isn't too far ff from what Kate Bush was Doing.  In fact he led me to kate.  Cause they often worked together.

Mick

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i'm glad you gave gabrial solo a listen.  Actually he isn't too far ff from what Kate Bush was Doing.  In fact he led me to kate.  Cause they often worked together.

Mick

Oh I never realised that connection, but I hear it now!

• Like 2

Rush- Test For Echo 

I used to write this album off, but honestly it's got brilliance. Far from their best work and yet musically I find much of it very captivating.

• Like 8

Finally made a connection with this band, and I'm so glad because they might be the most fun metal band that don't pander to the pop charts to ever hit the mainstream.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Finally made a connection with this band, and I'm so glad because they might be the most fun metal band that don't pander to the pop charts to ever hit the mainstream.

I never thought about it like that but you're right. Kind of like Maiden where they may have a song or two on the album that is suitable to be a single but not something that caters to the masses and they do exactly what they want to do. That being said, the album after this with John Bush on vocals does have their most commercially sounding and successful song, Only. It's still Anthrax but just like Megadeth and Testament, they stripped down their sound for wider appeal because of how successful Metallica had been with The Black Album.

• Like 1