Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Savatage- Sirens + The Dungeons Are Calling: The Complete Session (8/10)

So I finally bought all this bands albums. Devouring the liner notes, I have to say I'm gobsmacked this album was recorded and mixed in one day! Containing the debut album Sirens and EP The Dungeons Are Calling combined into a running order the band originally envisioned as their debut, I only know this album in this form. I love it so much! It was my second Savatage album after Streets, and I think it is one of the greatest debut albums I have ever heard. Raw and unpolished, this is Savatage at their most bare bones and I find it thrilling!

I'm always a bit surprised to see fans rank this fairly low, but it does sound different to what came later, and whilst I rate it very highly, it's not quite god-tier level like, say, Gutter Ballet or Dead Winter Dead.

• Like 1

Savatage- Hall Of The Mountain King (10/10)

Savatage- Gutter Ballet (10/10)

Savatage- Streets (10/10)

f**k it, this band is so underrated I can't even begin. HAVE ALL THE TENS! Every time this come back to Savatage I love them more than before. This is genuinely great music from a band who still sound ahead of the game today.

Savatage are as great as Maiden, Priest, Iced Earth, Nightwish, whoever you want to mention.

Savatage are killer! I am a sucker for a metal singer with a unique voice and range. All of the bands you mentioned have that!

Savatage- Hall Of The Mountain King (10/10)

Savatage- Gutter Ballet (10/10)

f**k it, this band is so underrated I can't even begin. HAVE ALL THE TENS! Every time this come back to Savatage I love them more than before. This is genuinely great music from a band who still sound ahead of the game today.

Savatage are as great as Maiden, Priest, Iced Earth, Nightwish, whoever you want to mention.

Savatage are killer! I am a sucker for a metal singer with a unique voice and range. All of the bands you mentioned have that!

Thank you, it was JYY2112Z who introduced me to Savatage. I can't remember exactly when it was, but I have had intense moments with Savatage where they are all I play.

I loooooove bold vocals in metal.

Savatage- Power Of The Night (6/10)

This isn't a bad album, but it isn't amongst their better works. Some of it sounds like discount Priest or along the lines of bands I'm not keen on, notably Accept.

I like it. Don't love it.

Savatage- The Wake Of Magellan (9/10)

Prog, symphonic metal, Broadway like choruses... Savatage are basically the inspiration for almost every wave of metal that would sweep over Europe andany other parts of the world in the next decade. Phenomenal album!

• Like 2

Tom Waits-Nighthawks at the Diner (7/10)

The beginning of Tom's beatnick piano bar phase. it was never my fav from this period that would be the next album. but this album does show off his offbeat humour and banter with an audience. he's a great storyteller.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Tom Waits-Small Change (10/10)

My fav from this Waits Era. just so many brilliant songs. and it's this album that sold me on him. Charming witty....Beautiful twisted sad.......this record is stunning.

Mick

• Like 2

In Flames- Battles (8/10)

Am I deaf? Fans HATE this album but, as a long term In Flames fan, this is one of my top favourites.

• Like 1

Savatage- Power Of The Night (7/10)

This is growing on me.

Savatage- Fight For The Rock (6/10)

A mixed bag, this album was sadly the product of a label that didn't know what they were doing with the band, asking them to go more commercial. It's actually quite good, it's got some great moments but it feels closer to a Journey album than Savatage. I like it, it's probably going to grow on me more.

Iced Earth- Framing Armageddon (9/10)

A much maligned album that I happen to think is a bit of a masterpiece. Meh. I love this album, and it's follow up The Crucible Of Man, to death.

• Like 1

A much maligned album that I happen to think is a bit of a masterpiece. Meh. I love this album, and it's follow up The Crucible Of Man, to death.

Does the music sound any different after what's happened with Jon? I have yet to listen to them since then, so I don't know if anything has changed for me.

Does the music sound any different after what's happened with Jon? I have yet to listen to them since then, so I don't know if anything has changed for me.

It's taken me a while but I'm now able to just listen to the music and enjoy it for what it is. There are musicians who have done far worse. If his career, and this band, is over...well...I'm happy to just enjoy what we have

• Like 1

Iced Earth- The Crucible Of Man (9/10)

In Flames- Reroute To Remain (7/10)

• Like 1

I think this is one of the greatest concept albums of all time. It is a candidate for my most favourite, definitely.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked