RIP Ron Bushy, Iron Butterfly drummer

driventotheedge

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/iron-butterfly-ron-bushy-dead-obit-1218422/

Pretty epic solo on In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, a song that maybe ought to get a mention on the "quintessential classic rock song" thread.

• Like 4

Met him and Lee Dorman (also RIP) in Sedro-Woolley, of all places, in 1993. Sounded just as good as in his '60's-'70s heyday. I'm sure Bonham will be waiting there to pour him one. RIP.
  • Like 4

Another loss of a 60's phenomenon. Iron Butterfly had the psychedelic monster hit In A Gadda Da Vida. I remember a concert of theirs I went to, my friend and I danced for the whole 17 minute version... :LOLsign: Was very cool. RIP :rose: Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

I remember WABX in Detroit having the 17 minute version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in heavy rotation. Also, (Big) John Small, a DJ for WKNR-FM put together a montage of recordings of speeches and quotes from the late 60's that had Ron's drum solo in the background. RIP, Ron.
  • Like 3

I remember WABX in Detroit having the 17 minute version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in heavy rotation. Also, (Big) John Small, a DJ for WKNR-FM put together a montage of recordings of speeches and quotes from the late 60's that had Ron's drum solo in the background. RIP, Ron.

I can remember that drum solo like I can remember a guitar solo. That's pretty good.

• Like 2

I can remember that drum solo like I can remember a guitar solo. That's pretty good.

I remember so many people freaking out during the second half of the solo from the studio version, all phased and swirling full of crashing and cross channel sweeps. Iconic.
  • Like 2

I remember so many people freaking out during the second half of the solo from the studio version, all phased and swirling full of crashing and cross channel sweeps. Iconic.

It's a definite headphone classic. Hearing it live in a small pizzaria/club was a trip, too. Incidentally the same place where I first played on stage just a few years before.

I'll never forget Lee drinking beer out of one of those plastic pitchers.

• Like 1

For some reason I found myself listening to 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' and 'Fire' by Arthur Brown in a row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfpn3wHoNGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en1uwIzI3SE

Same year, same kind of theatrical voice. The whole Fire Suite on the Arthur Brown album is pretty cool.

I've been sorry, to hear, see, and read this. I'm not an Iron Butterfly regular, and daily listener, but I have heard of the band, and group. He will be missed, and remembered. My condolences, to his family, friends, and fans. R.I.P., Ron.