Grandiose Box Sets

A friend of mine was telling me about the George Harrison 50th Anniversary Box Set for All Things Must Pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbhtLPot3tg

Regardless of whether the estates/record companies of these legacy artists are aware of this or not, there's a KISS vibe to all of this in a way.

It's about thinking big outside the box in an ambitious way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv7vnkROPeA

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

I looked up this George Harrison box set or 'Uber Deluxe Box Set' as it is tagged.

UK price £859.99 !!!!!

Frankly I just don't get it .... yes, I have shelled out money (nothing like this much) for a box set of an artist's entire works plus the usual extra goodies ..... but this is the 50th anniversary of one friggin' album!

• Like 3

I get the deluxe releases that might contain unreleased tunes and/or live versions of the songs.

The box sets that have demos and outtakes (1,2,3...n ) of songs are only for the super fans only. Again, I get it.

I recently downloaded ( Apple Music ) The Who - Sell Out Super Deluxe release. It contains 114 songs... WTF !

I'm a super fan of The Who but this ????

51345600352_ff3d323dfe_b.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Been eying that massive ELP box set for the past few weeks. That might be going on the Christmas wish list.

https://elp.tmstor.es/product/79267

Too bad the Brain Salad Surgery 5.1 is the 2014 version, all the reviews indicate it's not as good as the 2001-ish DVD-A [which I own and it's one of the better 5.1 mixes of any album ever given surround treatment].

• Like 1

Been eying that massive ELP box set for the past few weeks. That might be going on the Christmas wish list.

Too bad the Brain Salad Surgery 5.1 is the 2014 version, all the reviews indicate it's not as good as the 2001-ish DVD-A [which I own and it's one of the better 5.1 mixes of any album ever given surround treatment].

Probably still sounds better than my staticky vinyl.

I would normally be interested but about 85 to 90 percent of it has already been released and I have it on CD.

I have a decent ELP collection, but it's comprised almost entirely of pretty well-worn used vinyl. Not unlistenable or anything, but definitely lacking clarity in certain sections, and anyway if there are better remixes out there on CD, I'd love to hear them. Plus the only live ELP (discounting Pictures) I have is Welcome Back My Friends... which is maybe my favorite ELP release from what I've heard. So the idea of instantly getting a bunch more of those is pretty enticing. I'm also a sucker for all the extra goodies that come with big box sets like this, however corny. Anyway point is I think it would fill in the gaps I have in my studio album collection while flooding me with awesome live shows I've never heard, and all with better fidelity and mastering than the old LPs I listen to now. Expensive?? Incredibly. But for me I think it would be worth the price.

• Like 1

I would normally be interested but about 85 to 90 percent of it has already been released and I have it on CD.

I have a decent ELP collection, but it's comprised almost entirely of pretty well-worn used vinyl. Not unlistenable or anything, but definitely lacking clarity in certain sections, and anyway if there are better remixes out there on CD, I'd love to hear them. Plus the only live ELP (discounting Pictures) I have is Welcome Back My Friends... which is maybe my favorite ELP release from what I've heard. So the idea of instantly getting a bunch more of those is pretty enticing. I'm also a sucker for all the extra goodies that come with big box sets like this, however corny. Anyway point is I think it would fill in the gaps I have in my studio album collection while flooding me with awesome live shows I've never heard, and all with better fidelity and mastering than the old LPs I listen to now. Expensive?? Incredibly. But for me I think it would be worth the price.

That's long been a favorite of mine by ELP. I love that live album. Just wish it was recorded better. There are other great live ELP albums: Isle Of Wight, (Second gig together), Mar Y Sol Festival (Puerto Rico '72), Works Live.....Most of the Official Bootleg series don't sound that great although the performances generally are. I don't know if any of that was released on vinyl. Those are CD releases.

• Like 1

That MetallicA Black Alum...thing. What is it, 50 people covering their songs?

I love the band, I had common friends with the OMB when Metallica was camping in central NJ during those early days, and were getting started. I played the f**k out of the first record for anyone who would listen back then. Was a fan before anyone knew who the hell this band was.

But the Black Album thing they are doing churns my stomach. What. The. f**k. ?

I'm not even buying it. Just because it seems so........ obscene. Ca$h grab.

I love the band, I had common friends with the OMB when Metallica was camping in central NJ during those early days, and were getting started. I played the f**k out of the first record for anyone who would listen back then. Was a fan before anyone knew who the hell this band was.

I've really enjoyed a couple of the covers I've heard. I won't buy it either. Too expensive for what it's worth, but I'll definitely give it a listen through and maybe cherry pick a couple songs I really like.

• Like 1

Most of them are the ballad. Wake me up when they cover a non single like Of Wolf And Man. It's like having a reissue of Disintegration by The Cure and most of the covers are Love Song. Hipsters and top 40 millennials have to ruin everything.

Most of them are the ballad. Wake me up when they cover a non single like Of Wolf And Man. It's like having a reissue of Disintegration by The Cure and most of the covers are Love Song. Hipsters and top 40 millennials have to ruin everything.

Every song on the album is getting at least one cover, most of them at least three.