Kansas vs Genesis - Live Album Medley Battle

Kansas vs. Genesis: Which live medley do you prefer?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Kansas vs. Genesis: Which live medley do you prefer?

• Kansas - Mysteries and Mayhem/excerpt from Lamplight Symphony/The Wall
    • Genesis - In The Cage/excerpts from Cinema Show and Slipperman/Afterglow
    • I like both equally!

In the late '70s and early '80s, Kansas and Genesis each released double live albums (remember those?), Two For The Show and Three Sides Live, respectively. Each album contained medleys, or more accurately, an older song that leaned towards the heavier side of their style, which went right into an instrumental excerpt or two from other older songs, then into their best known powerful slower tune. Very comparable types of songs and arrangements, so, poll-worthy!

I honestly can't pick between these two. I'll give my opinions later, and let you all cast your votes and comments. If you haven't heard these in full, I highly recommend giving them a listen. They're great examples of how powerful these bands were in their prime.

http://youtu.be/St_uNzcrzOE

On the album, these songs below are performed in order, but on YouTube there isn't an instance of all these songs put together, so you'll have to do that yourself.

http://youtu.be/1nBwRkMEUpY http://youtu.be/Y0A1h29qRvk

• Like 1

Genesis medley - No Gabriel, no Hackett, no interest.

Kansas gets my vote

• Like 2

I have no band member bias toward either of these bands, but Kansas is my current obsession so I may be swayed toward them a little more because of that. With that out of the way I went for Kansas. Neither of them were bad, its just that the Genesis one started to lose me at the end of the first video there, could be because I'm not familiar with the songs (or any Genesis outside of hits), but I really wish it would've picked up more somewhere throughout.

I have the original LP version of Two For The Show and remember buying the CD version only to find that Closet Chronicles had been omitted. I’ve never bought 3 Sides Live but listening to the medley I prefer it to the Kansas one. I prefer the Kansas live album overall though. They were a good Prog band for a while but after Point Of No Return I found them unlistenable.

I totally messed the poll up. I edited a typo in the top post, and it somehow deleted the poll. Never edit a poll thread while using the mobile skin on your phone!

Poll is back up, but those of you who cast votes will have to cast them again. Sorry about that!

I have the original LP version of Two For The Show and remember buying the CD version only to find that Closet Chronicles had been omitted. I’ve never bought 3 Sides Live but listening to the medley I prefer it to the Kansas one. I prefer the Kansas live album overall though. They were a good Prog band for a while but after Point Of No Return I found them unlistenable.

The new CD version has the original album intact plus a second disc with the rest of the set from the tour. The package is really good too with lots of pictures etc.

Here's the track list:

Disc One

1. "Song for America" 7:29

2. "Point of Know Return" 3:07

3. "Paradox" Livgren, Walsh Point of Know Return 4:09

4. "Icarus - Borne on Wings of Steel" 5:58

5. "Portrait (He Knew)" 5:18

6. "Carry On Wayward Son" 4:38

7. "Journey from Mariabronn" 8:55

8. "Dust in the Wind" (featuring Rich Williams acoustic guitar solo) 6:17

9. "Lonely Wind" (featuring Kerry Livgren piano solo) 4:29

10. "Mysteries and Mayhem" 4:00

11. "Excerpt from Lamplight Symphony" 2:38

12. "The Wall" 4:58

13. "Magnum Opus

a. Father Padilla Meets the Perfect Gnat

b. Howling at the Moon

c. Man Overboard

d. Industry on Parade

e. Release the Beavers

f. Gnat Attack" 11:14

Disc Two

1. "Incomudro - Hymn to the Atman (Intro)/Hopelessly Human" 8:42

2. "Child of Innocence" 7:47

3. "Belexes" 4:34

4. "Cheyenne Anthem" 6:55

5. "Lonely Street" 8:20

6. "Miracles Out of Nowhere" 7:59

7. "The Spider" (featuring Phil Ehart drum solo) 7:41

8. "Closet Chronicles" 6:55

9. "Down the Road" 3:44

10. "Sparks of the Tempest" 5:19

11. "Bringing It Back" 7:07

• Like 1

Kansas...

... by a Country Mile [i mean ffs, it's got 'The Spider' :dweez: ]

;)

Edited by gerkildare

I don't remember the last live album I listened to (read on.... maybe I actually do?). I've watched a few live music shows (DVD/BR) in the living room in the past months. But this poll made me realize I very rarely listen to live performances casually. I think the couple live 70s Zappa concerts I purchased on CD recently were the only ones in probably a year. Edited by stoopid

Kansas for me, but I am traveling and relying on a an undependable memory! :lol: Our fearless leader has inspired me to go back and listen to each when the weekend is over. :) Edited by blueschica