Hey Rush Forum Gang! I Need To Write About Something That Has Been Bugging Me Since Eddie Van Halen's Passing... The "One Trick Pony" Comment........

RUSHHEAD666

When I was a kid and bought "Diver Down" on cassette when it came out. (By the way I know many of you hate this record. You have your opinion but you are fuckking dumber than a box of bricks.)

I remember when I heard "Intruder" and then it went into Roy's "Pretty Woman" when I heard Dave say "Mercy" I though he was saying "PUSSY."

So even at 52 when I hear that cover I always think Diamond Dave is saying "PUSSY!"

Don't shoot me fools.

I "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love"

• Like 2

I wouldn't ever say that Neil Peart, and Edward Van Halen were "One Trick Ponies" because they weren't ever that. I've got you, Rushhead (Earl). You look, and sound wired. Recently, and lately, you haven't said too much of anything else to me. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

REALLY BUGS ME!!!!!!

I mean really? "THE FULL BUG!!!!"

I can't remember where I saw it on here and I think I read it somewhere before Eddie passed away.

Some Forum Member wrote about some fuckking idiot saying that "Eddie is a one trick pony."

This isn't about any drama.

I just need to write about it real fast.

I've been on a VAN HALEN binge for weeks.

Even the VAN HAGAR MK that I've even ripped on here for years.

The SAM HALEN stuff isn't that bad at all. I'm just a Diamond Dave guy first.

However, the whole thing about called EVH a "one trick pony" drives me fuckking crazy. Oh and I'm a drummer obsessed with the guitar!!!

I was texting an old friend of my from Portland.

I told him that I am still sad over the passing of Eddie.

He told me....

"Oh who gives a shit, he's overrated anyway."

My head turned into a volcano and my eyes turned into fuckking laser beams of fire!!!! WTF?

I don't get humans being. LOL!

Everyone has the right to their own opinion but people who think Eddie was overrated or a one trick pony can fuckk off.

My one human brain on this Earth can't relate to this madness and sadness.

Does not compute to me.

I know people in the music business who think Neil Peart was also a "one trick pony" and totally overrated as a drummer and lyricist.

Everyone has the right to say what they will. Believe me. I know that!!

But I agree to disagree.

NEIL PEART AND EDWARD VAN HALEN RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOREVER!!!!!

"Better save the women and children first"

"Feel my heartbeat...........???"

I think I posted this somewhere a week or so ago. No Eddie in sight but it’s still cool to hear the tale behind this song.

I’m not sure when this was filmed but probably not too many years ago. Hagar still sounded like Hagar and not some old, broken down buzzard.

I much prefer Dave with VH but this is decent:

http://youtu.be/qwZUrVyTPJ8

• Like 1

REALLY BUGS ME!!!!!!

I can't remember where I saw it on here and I think I read it somewhere before Eddie passed away.

Some Forum Member wrote about some fuckking idiot saying that "Eddie is a one trick pony."

However, the whole thing about called EVH a "one trick pony" drives me fuckking crazy. Oh and I'm a drummer obsessed with the guitar!!!

He told me....

My head turned into a volcano and my eyes turned into fuckking laser beams of fire!!!! WTF?

Everyone has the right to their own opinion but people who think Eddie was overrated or a one trick pony can fuckk off.

Does not compute to me.

I know people in the music business who think Neil Peart was also a "one trick pony" and totally overrated as a drummer and lyricist.

But I agree to disagree.

I think I posted this somewhere a week or so ago. No Eddie in sight but it’s still cool to hear the tale behind this song.

I’m not sure when this was filmed but probably not too many years ago. Hagar still sounded like Hagar and not some old, broken down buzzard.

JB!

You know I love you like a brother too but this is horrible. I love the story and I love Howard.

I actually really like OU812. I resisted it all!! BUT I HATE THIS SONG! No wonder it's a fuckking Sammy Hagar song. VAN HALEN COUNTRY MUSIC.

Stupid drum machine.

It drives me crazy JB

I love Michael Anthony though.

Dude, killing me soul tonight.

It is a great story.

I'm incomplete.

REALLY BUGS ME!!!!!!

He told me....

Does not compute to me.

But I agree to disagree.

JB!

You know I love you like a brother too but this is horrible. I love the story and I love Howard.

I actually really like OU812. I resisted it all!! BUT I HATE THIS SONG! No wonder it's a fuckking Sammy Hagar song. VAN HALEN COUNTRY MUSIC.

Stupid drum machine.

It drives me crazy JB

I love Michael Anthony though.

Dude, killing me soul tonight.

It is a great story.

I'm incomplete.

:LOL:

What’d you do when Neil was using a drum machine? Turn it off? Of course you didn’t! You likely said he shouldn’t have used them then jacked off at how good he sounded anyway I bet. :LOL:

Haven`t listened to anyone but VH since Eddie passed. I was listening to them the days beforehand when I was decorating - Classic VH always puts me me in a great mood - so I was already thinking about Eddie a lot and wondering how he was doing. I`ve got my Frankie canvas my wife bought me up on the wall, VH books on the shelf, and my EVH Wolfgang hanging opposite me. I knew we weren`t getting any more music but I`m gonna miss him but there`s something to remind me everywhere. Time to do a bit of Eddie fan art I think.
  • Like 1

Methinks the one trick pony blast refers to his playing style. I have seen two handed fretboard tapping and similar tricks, but mostly in acoustic guitar, primarily with the late great Michael Hedges, or jazz guitraist, Stanley Jordan. But I never really noticed it on the Rock or electric stage until Eddie came on the scene. Some call that innovation, and others call it being a one trick pony. I like to think of it as the former.

REALLY BUGS ME!!!!!!

He told me....

Does not compute to me.

But I agree to disagree.

YDb1fyAPOru3wIoF.jpg

• Like 1

The first 6 Van Halen Records are PERFECT.

There is not one skippable song on those albums. Not Sunday Afternoon in the Park. Not Intruder. Not one. I love the Van Hagar albums too, but they’re not as vibrant.

Intruder is awesome! As is SAITP! Nothing skippable. All band members are ON FIRE on all six. Sh*t, that was such a Rushhead comment :smash:
  • Like 2

Earl, are you drinking again?? :facepalm:

I've been mostly staying away from this subject, here's my $0.02 since I respect your musical views and share a lot of them...

-- The band is overrated, Eddie was not.

-- The band suffers from too much cock, especially those earlier albums.

-- There's a lot of great licks and a few 'headier' tracks, but the other material dilutes the greatness. I've never considered VH's early years anything more than Kiss with a virtuoso guitarist. Kiss, frankly, suck on every musical level. How they ever existed baffles me.

-- The maturity of the Sammy era material is what attracts me to it. That said, I rarely listen to ANY Van Halen in my free time. Before and since their peak, there's been a lot of great music made that competes (and wins) the hours in the day I have to dedicate to serious music listening.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

I've been mostly staying away from this subject, here's my $0.02 since I respect your musical views and share a lot of them...

-- There's a lot of great licks and a few 'headier' tracks, but the other material dilutes the greatness. I've never considered VH's early years anything more than Kiss with a virtuoso guitarist. Kiss, frankly, suck on every musical level. How they ever existed baffles me.

-- The maturity of the Sammy era material is what attracts me to it. That said, I rarely listen to ANY Van Halen in my free time. Before and since their peak, there's been a lot of great music made that competes (and wins) the hours in the day I have to dedicate to serious music listening.

I've always thought Roth was the most overrated element of the band. He's always come off to me like a complete goof that I have never been able to take seriously. He did a good job in Van Halen but this godlike status some fans hold him to baffles me. He was lucky to find Van Halen. He would be a nobody without them. Eddie and Alex were far too talented to not make it big in the music industry. Roth was not. He needed Van Halen much more than they needed him.

• Like 1

I've always thought Roth was the most overrated element of the band. He's always come off to me like a complete goof that I have never been able to take seriously. He did a good job in Van Halen but this godlike status some fans hold him to baffles me. He was lucky to find Van Halen. He would be a nobody without them. Eddie and Alex were far too talented to not make it big in the music industry. Roth was not. He needed Van Halen much more than they needed him.

DLR definitely wasn't the musical standout, but he was a great front man and it would be valid to argue that without him VH as a band would not have had the same commercial success. There was a mix of marketing and musicianship behind the band that drove record and ticket sales, DLR was undoubtedly a significant part of that. It's also why I've always struggled to separate Eddie the guitarist from Van Halen the band, when I can look past the band's glaring shortcomings is the only time I can recognize his individual brilliance.

Edited by stoopid

DLR definitely wasn't the musical standout, but he was a great front man and it would be valid to argue that without him VH as a band would not have had the same commercial success. There was definitely a mix of marketing and musicianship behind the band that drove record and ticket sales. Not that any of it ever truly appealed to me. Even when they were super popular I wouldn't have considered myself a fan.

I think what plays a big part in my opinion on Roth is that I was a little too young during his original run with Van Halen to fully experience what it was about him that was so special. My earliest memories of Van Halen are the videos for Jump, Hot For Teacher and Panama. All of which portray Dave not as this cool frontman but more of a silly person. Then after that came his goofy Dave TV and Just A Gigalo crap and it was very hard for me to see him as this rock god when he was just being so over the top goofy. He's done nothing in these 30 plus years for me to change my opinion on him.